Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Image compare and rating ?

I was happily suprised that the 645D had an image compare function and saddened that the 654Z did not. Does it exist in the crop cameras and will it be in the K-1?
I quickly scanned the K-1 manual and could not see it. As a portrait photographer I really miss this feature along with image rating that was in my Canon 5DMkiii.

04-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Does it exist in the crop cameras and will it be in the K-1?
It's not in crop cameras and I'm pretty sure it's not in the K-1.
04-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a portrait photographer I really miss this feature along with image rating that was in my Canon 5DMkiii.
Curious how that worked? You can select an image rating in the camera? During a shoot? How does that translate out into Lightroom?
04-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Curious how that worked? You can select an image rating in the camera? During a shoot? How does that translate out into Lightroom?
Image ratings seems to be a standard which works with many conforming software i.e Adobe Lightroom so the ratings would show up from the camera as well as Canon's own software.

04-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am puzzled as well and also curious regarding the utility of other than delete/save screening using the camera rear LCD (small, with exaggerated contrast).

Steve
04-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
also curious regarding the utility of other than delete/save screening using the camera rear LCD
I wasn't going to go there, but yeah. I wouldn't waste shoot time trying to rate a picture on the LCD. But I am curious to see what the OP was using this for, maybe I'm missing something.
04-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They took out the comparison feature in models after the K-5. As for why, jatrax makes a good point
04-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
I was hoping no one would belittle or call it a waste of time purely because they don't find it useful. I guess the old adage of... "you don't miss what you don't know" applies here. In summary while shooting anything from studio work to a wedding the ability to quick zoom in and check focus and then rate is a great aid when culling photos.

04-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Idk how can you compare and rate an image in the LCD screen... I only check the image is in focus with good light (or workable at least) and do everything else in the comfort of my monitor.

04-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I was hoping no one would belittle or call it a waste of time purely because they don't find it useful.
No one did. We simply asked why you find it useful. I had no idea such a functionality existed. Still curious why you find it useful and still trying to learn something. Do the ratings flow into Lightroom? What system do you use as far as rating go? Do you find the LCD reliable in being able to determine a rating? Personally I cannot tell anything useful from the LCD except a rough idea of exposure and (if zoomed in) sharpness. But I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
04-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter

I guess the old adage of... "you don't miss what you don't know" applies here.
Absolutely!

Steve
04-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Original Poster
I was just wondering if the compare feature would be there, its on the 645D which I owned a on cameras before the K5 so now I know. I'm definitely not going to try and sell the merits to those who don't want or need it. I do remember a poll a while back where Canon 5D users voted the rate a top 5 function hence why it has a dedicated button, and of course image compare is standard. Its not for checking colour, contrast or anything like that. When I zoom the back of my 645Z I can tell whether or not to retake the photo, so I don't have any unwelcome surprises when I open up later in software.
04-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter

I was just wondering if the compare feature would be there, its on the 645D which I owned a on cameras before the K5 so now I know. I'm definitely not going to try and sell the merits to those who don't want or need it. I do remember a poll a while back where Canon 5D users voted the rate a top 5 function hence why it has a dedicated button, and of course image compare is standard. Its not for checking colour, contrast or anything like that. When I zoom the back of my 645Z I can tell whether or not to retake the photo, so I don't have any unwelcome surprises when I open up later in software.
Understood, is almost the same that we do, but i recognize is not the way you workflow is done at that is a negative point for you. We only have curiosity of the way you use this feature.

04-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

K7 had the same feature. I don't remember rating pics, but I remember using it to compare a part of a pic at 16x to make sure I'd nailed the focus on at least one of the shots. So yes, it was useful to me.
04-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Image ratings seems to be a standard which works with many conforming software i.e Adobe Lightroom
It's recorded in the XMP metadata stored in (or alongside) the image. Adobe's approach to ratings has now become an ISO standard, and stored ratings values are now interchangable between a lot of applications.

I can certainly see the utility of doing ratings in-camera, but I can also see how doing it in-camera may not always be practical, especially for processing a LOT of images. If you have hundreds of images to rate and cull, doing it in-camera isn't going to be fun.

Last edited by rawr; 04-10-2016 at 04:10 PM.