Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

What happens when you put an aps-c lens on full frame(K-1)?

Does the K-1 instruct you to enter some kind of crop mode? or Do you have to set the crop mode separately? or Do you just get what you see in the viewfinder?or do you get a full frame, but there is a cropped pic in the viewfinder? thanks.

04-10-2016, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fstop18 Quote
Does the K-1 instruct you to enter some kind of crop mode? or Do you have to set the crop mode separately? or Do you just get what you see in the viewfinder?or do you get a full frame, but there is a cropped pic in the viewfinder? thanks.
If you leave the crop setting at its default (auto), the camera will automatically enter APS-C crop mode with a DA lens. You can also manually select either full-frame or APS-C for any lens via the control panel or the camera's physical settings dial.

When crop mode is on, the following happens:
  • a thick box is shown in the viewfinder to depict the APS-C area (see here)
  • the camera will capture 15-megapixel photos from a reduced 16x24mm (APS-C) sensor area
  • live view will only show the APS-C image area
  • (if enabled) APS-C lens corrections are applied, just as they would on an APS-C body
On a side note, select DA lenses (currently the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, DA 560mm) officially support both full frame and crop mode, and have a set of full-frame correction profiles in-camera. A disclaimer states that optical performance with these lenses is "not guaranteed" outside of the APS-C area, which basically means you may get more vignetting than you're used to when shooting wide-open.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The viewfinder is an optical one and can only show what the lens delivers (= what the FF sensor would get from the lens).
The LCD overlay shows frames for the possible formats (this feature can be switched off).

For your first two questions: this behaviour is also user configurable.
04-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do still have a question about this. . . When shooting RAW in crop mode, does it actually crop the file data, or does it do a "virtual" crop where it records data from the whole sensor and then puts cropping instructions into EXIF? The reason I ask is. . . When shooting in cropped aspect ratios my Olympus delivers a cropped RAW file, but my Q7 only crops it virtually. With the Q7, Lightroom applies the crop automatically upon import, but I can come back and change it later! (Incidentally, I also found that the Olympus applies lens corrections to RAW files, and the Q7 does not. The Olympus RAW files aren't really raw -- you might call them half-baked.)

04-11-2016, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

It delivers a cropped RAW. It couldn't transfer the full sensor data and increase the shooting speed to 6.5fps
04-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It delivers a cropped RAW. It couldn't transfer the full sensor data and increase the shooting speed to 6.5fps
I just assumed that increased FPS rate was based on shooting JPEG. . .
04-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I just assumed that increased FPS rate was based on shooting JPEG. . .
I think crop mode means while the sensor records a full 7360x4912 pixel RAW image, all the data collected outside of the APS-C frame of 4800x3200 pixels is just dumped.

Hence less data for the camera to move about, process and save to disk, hence higher fps for RAW and JPEG.
04-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
don't believe anyone said above.

K-1 will explode.

jk.

04-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
don't believe anyone said above.

K-1 will explode.

jk.
Hopefully all over the full-frame market!
Brian