Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c57d Quote
I used to bring a laptop along to back up all my images.
I rotated cards and would not use it again unless I ran out of memory cards.
Problem is the laptop was large, heavy, and a single point of failure.

I've switched to using the Kingston MLWG2 (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Companion-Storage-Charger-MLWG2/dp/B00KU2E9IW).

At the end of a shoot I place the SD in the Kingston and hook a 256GB external SSD to the USB slot.
I use the Kingston app (IOS and Android) to transfer files from the memory card to the SSD.
I put in another SSD and repeat the process.
I now have my original images on the SD card and backed up to two Solid State Disks.
The memory card gets rotated out and will only be used again if I run out of memory cards; but my data is backed up on 2 separate disks kept in 2 different locations.
I use SSD instead of spinning platters because fewer moving parts means less chance of disk damage.

The MLWG2 also acts as a battery charger and wireless device.

With the Kingston app or ES File Explorer I play movies off of a SD card or disk for up to 4 people, or I can review my images.

Chris
I have seen the before but haven't given it much thought. It does look rather appealing. I know you use SSD but any idea how long it could power a portable HDD? SSD's are still a bit out of my budget and I have a couple portable 1tb drives. I am curious if it could power them both long enough to back up at least 64 gbs before needing to be recharged.

04-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The WD Passport Wireless seems a decent and very simple backup option for field use:

- very compact;
- up to 2TB storage built-in;
- SD card reader built-in;
- 20 hours battery life;
- WiFi etc if needed;
- no need for any external devices.
04-15-2016, 12:31 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only fly in the ointment with the above backups is getting robbed or losing your luggage, because you have both original and backup in the same place.
Best to keep backup memory cards either with a traveling companion, or at least, separate luggage to your camera.

The super careful solution (for the paranoid/ extra cautious) maybe to make an extra copy to a third SD card and then post that home or to a family member...
Not sure I would actually normally bother doing this, but in the event of taking a picture of first contact with aliens or the Loch Ness monster, I would want that extra security.
04-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The WD Passport Wireless seems a decent and very simple backup option for field use: - very compact;- up to 2TB storage built-in;- SD card reader built-in;- 20 hours battery life;- WiFi etc if needed;- no need for any external devices.

It is a good solution except for the WiFi that doesn't work very well. It can be set to auto-copy SD cards upon insertion. I'm using the 2TB disc but only with USB3 connection since the WiFi is shaky.

A warning to anybody who has to use product support with this product. There is a function that dumps settings in to an archive that you may be asked to e-mail to the support org. This file contains settings, including the WiFi password and WiFi ID, in plain text. My advice is - Don't do that.

04-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
It is a good solution except for the WiFi that doesn't work very well. It can be set to auto-copy SD cards upon insertion. I'm using the 2TB disc but only with USB3 connection since the WiFi is shaky.

A warning to anybody who has to use product support with this product. There is a function that dumps settings in to an archive that you may be asked to e-mail to the support org. This file contains settings, including the WiFi password and WiFi ID, in plain text. My advice is - Don't do that.
Just edit the file or change the wifi info before sending it.
04-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just edit the file or change the wifi info before sending it.

Easier said than done. It's an archive with a lot of files and several files contain sensitive info
04-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always travel with a laptop and an external USB drive. At the end of the day I sneaker net the files onto the laptop and then back them up further onto the external drive. Takes less than 15 minutes. I do break them down by which camera I took the photos with, K5 RAW, K5-IIs RAW and K3 RAW.

Memory cards are relatively inexpensive so I have several of them. I never delete any trip photos from a memory card until I am home and have time to more closely examine the images and secure everything,

04-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Easier said than done. It's an archive with a lot of files and several files contain sensitive info
Sorry part two of my answer was meant as - change it on the device, then save the support text.
04-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Sorry part two of my answer was meant as - change it on the device, then save the support text.

OK, could work but sometimes firmware retains history so to be sure you would have to change it to something new-nonsens and keep your fingers crossed.
04-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
I have seen the before but haven't given it much thought. It does look rather appealing. I know you use SSD but any idea how long it could power a portable HDD? SSD's are still a bit out of my budget and I have a couple portable 1tb drives. I am curious if it could power them both long enough to back up at least 64 gbs before needing to be recharged.
You would need to look up your portable drive specs, but let's assume it uses 500mA to run. With a full charge the Kingston is rated at 4640mAh. Your hard drive would run roughly for 9 hours before you would need to charge the Kingston. They can support larger drives but it would likely require a powered USB hub.
Copying to multiple devices is my theft/destruction protection. With multiple memory cards kept in the camera bag and each SSD containing all the backed up pictures in other carry on gear carried by myself and my spouse, I believe I am covered for most normal theft/disaster scenarios.

Chris
06-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by c57d Quote
I used to bring a laptop along to back up all my images.
I rotated cards and would not use it again unless I ran out of memory cards.
Problem is the laptop was large, heavy, and a single point of failure.

I've switched to using the Kingston MLWG2 (http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Companion-Storage-Charger-MLWG2/dp/B00KU2E9IW).

At the end of a shoot I place the SD in the Kingston and hook a 256GB external SSD to the USB slot.
I use the Kingston app (IOS and Android) to transfer files from the memory card to the SSD.
I put in another SSD and repeat the process.
I now have my original images on the SD card and backed up to two Solid State Disks.
The memory card gets rotated out and will only be used again if I run out of memory cards; but my data is backed up on 2 separate disks kept in 2 different locations.
I use SSD instead of spinning platters because fewer moving parts means less chance of disk damage.

The MLWG2 also acts as a battery charger and wireless device.

With the Kingston app or ES File Explorer I play movies off of a SD card or disk for up to 4 people, or I can review my images.

Chris
>>I've switched to using the Kingston MLWG2

Alas, after my trip to Iceland and trying to transfer 32GB of data through the Kingston I cannot recommend it.
Data transfer speed really bogged down on that many files and that much data. It was going to take hours to back up 1 card.
My previous tests with smaller amounts of data led me to believe that it would work for more files but it doesn't.
I've moved on to a small Dell laptop (14z I7) with Win10 on a SSD and a USB3 port that performs admirably.

Chris