Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-1 EyePiece replacement

One of the things I want to change about the K-1 asap is the the eye piece cover. I previously used Hoodman replacements with my Canon dslrs. I find the K Series ones to be quite poor i.e flimsy and not very good at blocking out light. Any recommendations? Thanks.

04-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #2

Sorry for high-jacking but if it will suit k-5 ii s I am also interested in it... Both my k-50 and k-5 ii s have awful eyepieces that do not block sunlight at all.
04-16-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the O-ME53 viewfinder loupe eyecup for my k-5/II/-3 camera, and find it to be quite good. I hope it will fit on the k-1 as well, although I am not in a rush to get it yet, but it will be in my future purchase.
04-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I wonder if an eyepiece is made with an internal shutter for long exposure shots? I found recently that light coming in from the viewfinder ruins long exposure shots unless the viewfinder is covered. Some cameras have this built in but k-1 does not so an add on eyepiece with this would be useful.

04-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
One of the things I want to change about the K-1 asap is the the eye piece cover. I previously used Hoodman replacements with my Canon dslrs. I find the K Series ones to be quite poor i.e flimsy and not very good at blocking out light. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Here's a D-I-Y Mod idea. K-1 uses the same eyepiece frame as K-5.

And here's a comment from a Member who tried it.
04-16-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the link! Really surprised by how poorly constructed the eye cup is on the K1 is considering the cameras overall ruggedness. The rep at the Photography Show here in Birmingham did say it may not be the final one, but its the same as the K5 etc so its obviously not a prototype.

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I use the O-ME53 viewfinder loupe eyecup for my k-5/II/-3 camera, and find it to be quite good. I hope it will fit on the k-1 as well, although I am not in a rush to get it yet, but it will be in my future purchase.
Do you have a link to it?
04-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

Thank you for the link! Really surprised by how poorly constructed the eye cup is on the K1 is considering the cameras overall ruggedness. The rep at the Photography Show here in Birmingham did say it may not be the final one, but its the same as the K5 etc so its obviously not a prototype.

How do you know how the eyecup on the K-1 is constructed? Unless they're going to use the same one they've used since the K10D. The frame is light and flexible.
04-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The O-ME53 is listed as an accessory for the K-1, so it must fit.

04-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Vello makes a more "form fitting" eyecup for Pentax, and the rubber part rotates for verticals, but I suspect the rubber is very thin.
04-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How do you know how the eyecup on the K-1 is constructed? Unless they're going to use the same one they've used since the K10D. The frame is light and flexible.
Don't understand the question? I did state that I attended a hands on demo of the K-1 if thats what you're asking?

---------- Post added 04-16-16 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Vello makes a more "form fitting" eyecup for Pentax, and the rubber part rotates for verticals, but I suspect the rubber is very thin.
Thats excatly what I was looking for...Thank you!
05-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-1 uses the same eyepiece frame as K-5.
The eyecup appears to be the same as on the K-3 (no cut-out for the diopter adjust slider), though it might be mentioned there is a high level of compatibility for eyepiece accessories from the M-series film SLRs through to the present for all models.

I, personally, like the Pentax eyecup design, but will be quick to note that my eyes are fairly deep set and I have never been much of an eyecup user. Light reflecting onto the ocular glass has not been a problem for me, though I do like having the padded "bumper" of the current design.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
05-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter

They're available from forum partner B&H. I just received one myself a couple days ago.
05-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Really surprised by how poorly constructed the eye cup is on the K1 is considering the cameras overall ruggedness.
The product photos appear to show a similar eyecup as on all Pentax dSLR in the last decade or so. I have been shooting with such since 2007 and have found the cup to be durable, if a bit difficult to remove.

Steve
05-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The eyecup appears to be the same as on the K-3 (no cut-out for the diopter adjust slider), though it might be mentioned there is a high level of compatibility for eyepiece accessories from the M-series film SLRs through to the present for all models.

I, personally, like the Pentax eyecup design, but will be quick to note that my eyes are fairly deep set and I have never been much of an eyecup user. Light reflecting onto the ocular glass has not been a problem for me, though I do like having the padded "bumper" of the current design.

Steve
The eyecup is identical to that on the K-3. It isn't deep enough for me - stray light enters from the edges of the eyecup. Just like K-3, the eyecup is very tightly mounted to the frame, to the point that I won't risk removing either of them. I took the eyecup off my K10D and I still haven't figured out how to get it back on.
05-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

I hope it will fit on the k-1 as well
It fits but... I found it reduces dramatically what is a wonderfully large viewfinder.

As a spectacles wearer, it was always a glasses off and use a O-ME53 on all Pentax digital bodies, but I'm really finding I don't need them now on the K1 and yes I do keep them on... spectacles that is.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-08-2016 at 12:26 AM.