Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #31
edo
Forum Member

There is no 1:1!

The option is for the grid division line that are squared shape of different size thus the square 1 and squre 2 grid line option in liveview that are not present in the physical LCD grid in the OVF... Had to shake for you!

A firmware update will be available for sure to remedy this tragic omission.

04-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not at all sure FW can create grid line projections on the LCD VF overlay, but ii'm not an engineer, so . . . .
04-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #33

I'm pretty sure from the images of the LCD viewfinder overlay that is is using pre-defined shapes and not pixels like the rear LCD. If it uses pre-defined shapes and there isn't one already for a square crop overlay change FW isn't going to magically put the shape into the overlay.

They may have deleted the shape for whatever reason on the overlay for production or someone thought up the square crop after the overlay LCD went into production.

So what's wrong with using the Liveview square crop frame?
04-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #34
edo
Forum Member

No, there is no live view square format! I checked on my Pentax k1...

Firmware Will add this option only in liveview...

Physical ovf has only two types of grid.

LivevieW has many more types, as listed in a previous post from the k1 manual. Square 1 and square 2 refer to those Grid lines.

I too wanted it to happen but felt sad when I checked on my k1 yeaterday.

Last edited by edo; 04-29-2016 at 03:40 PM.
04-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #35

So the Square 1 and Square 2 Live View display mode grids (page 117) are not there?

Well the back page of the manual does say "Physical appearance and specifications are subject to change without notice". Whether or not a feature can be considered a specification will be subject to endless debate.
04-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I don't recall Pentax/Ricoh ever advertised it having a square crop so I don't consider it a feature that was removed. Preproduction and beta models are exactly that.
04-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not at all sure FW can create grid line projections on the LCD VF overlay, but ii'm not an engineer, so . . . .
My vote as well, though if you saw it on the prototypes, I would not rule it out.

Steve

04-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I don't recall Pentax/Ricoh ever advertised it having a square crop so I don't consider it a feature that was removed. Preproduction and beta models are exactly that.
Me neither, though I do remember a lot of talk being thrown around this site. Some were even talking about user-defined aspect ratios.

Steve
04-29-2016, 06:04 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Me neither, though I do remember a lot of talk being thrown around this site. Some were even talking about user-defined aspect ratios.

Steve
Somewhere here someone actually posted a photograph of a Focus Group session with 1:1 crop lines in VF view projected on a conference room screen. IIRC that was about the time the FW 0.38 demo units were in the field. The implication of that Post was 1:1 would be included, but it wasn't an actual marketing claim.

I'm not even going to TRY to search the FF Forum for that post, though.
04-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #40

The slide from the conference could well have been a graphic of a prototype for the LCD overlay, not an actual capture of the overlay. Much like the graphics in the manual and what Adam has been posting. There were captions in Japanese on the slide. I asked if someone could translate the caption so we could get a context of what was actually being discussed.

The only other hints we have of a 1:1 crop mode was a video showing the option on the menu and reports of it on some of the prototype/pre-production models at some of the shows in Canada. If there are actual shots of the Square crop indicator in the overlay LCD I haven't seen them. If they exist I'd like to see them. Perhaps the Canadian posters that saw the 1:1 crop mode can tell us if the viewfinder showed crop marks or not. And even if they exist on the preproduction models that still doesn't mean it is there on the production overlays.

Unless there is some technology for LCD displays that doesn't use polarized light, you should be able to see the turned off segments on the screen by playing with polarization - a negative image as it were.
04-30-2016, 02:35 AM   #41
edo
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So the Square 1 and Square 2 Live View display mode grids (page 117) are not there?

Yes they are there! FW 1.0
04-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could I hijack this thread for just a minute? Seeing that we are getting actual production models out now. Could an owner comment on if the focus screen is indeed fixed and not removable? I guess most people don't want to fiddle around with the focus screen on their brand new camera but if an owner has already checked this it would be much appreciated if you shared your results. That's all, thanks!

You can now return to the 1:1 crop discussion.
04-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You can always take the screen out and score or use a fine marker or technical pen to add the guides yourself.
That is a way to do it, but putting tape on the lens rear element is faster.

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 02:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
OMG.. I am so out of here.
What nonsense. Ignore me dude, I'm ignoring you.
How is the ignore function enabled ?
I don't see any buttons on a post.. (such as the 'thumb' or 'report' or etc.)

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 02:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
... With any luck the 1:1 grids (square 1, square 2) for live view in conjunction with a custom Lightroom import profile (IIRC, you can impose a default crop on import) might be used to give the best of both worlds.
Perhaps a couple of the focus points in the viewfinder could be used to approximate 1:1

When I have tried to use AF point/frame guides before, I photographed a bookcase. I took the picture and cropped it [using software on PC] while not moving the camera. Then, I looked through the viewfinder again to see which focus points were closest to the the books at the edge of the crop [performed on the image with PC]. Thinking now, it would probably be better to photograph either a ruler or cutting mat for sewing.

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edo Quote
... LivevieW has many more types, ...
I wonder if Golden Triangle will be an option

Last edited by Tan68; 04-30-2016 at 01:18 PM.
04-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote

How is the ignore function enabled ?
I don't see any buttons on a post.. (such as the 'thumb' or 'report' or etc.)[COLOR=Silver]
Just click on the poster's name above the avatar on the left and select ignore.
04-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Just click on the poster's name above the avatar on the left and select ignore.
It seems strange that you still have to explain to someone how to boriscleto™ someone...