Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 04:14 AM   #1

Can a K-1 owner confirm 1:1 square crop shooting option?

Can a new K-1 owner confirm whether you can shoot in the 1:1 square crop format, either using the dial on the top plate which says "crop" or via a menu option?

I read that it was originally an option that may have been removed in the production version. I love using it on my GRII and was hoping the K-1 can do it.

Thanks!

04-29-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nope, no square crop, just apsc and FF

---------- Post added 04-29-16 at 01:40 PM ----------

Oh yeah, and auto
04-29-2016, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Big difference between being able to visualize and take the photo in camera at 1:1 and doing it later in LR. Oh well.
04-29-2016, 06:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterm1 Quote
Thanks. Big difference between being able to visualize and take the photo in camera at 1:1 and doing it later in LR. Oh well.
Really? Big in what way?

04-29-2016, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Well, to you it's a big difference. Others just train their eye, or capture a scene and decide after if it should be sure or sure or rectangular. I guess what you're saying is you're incapable of doing what everyone else does. I usually capture what I see and crop after, whether square or not, it's not all that often I can have the camera crop for me. 3x4 and 4x5 crops are what I go for, not 2x3, so I don't have the benefit of seeing my final crop in the viewfinder either. But, part of being a photographer is dealing with that issue. It's skill you can learn.
04-29-2016, 06:32 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need to jump on the guy...
04-29-2016, 06:42 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Well, to you it's a big difference. Others just train their eye, or capture a scene and decide after if it should be sure or sure or rectangular. I guess what you're saying is you're incapable of doing what everyone else does. I usually capture what I see and crop after, whether square or not, it's not all that often I can have the camera crop for me. 3x4 and 4x5 crops are what I go for, not 2x3, so I don't have the benefit of seeing my final crop in the viewfinder either. But, part of being a photographer is dealing with that issue. It's skill you can learn.
Nonsense. Visual guides are helpful aids. I will admit I'm a 'crop later' kind of guy, but I do find some vertical/horizontal guide lines are useful for composition. I won't begrudge anyone who prefers a different style of guide lines in their viewfinder.

04-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
heck no ! you could think about it again if you wish, if you crop 1:1, you crop only one of the dimensions of the frame, the other dimension remaining the same size as the ff sensor, so you can use one dimension to center your subject. 1:1 ratio is the easiest format.

---------- Post added 29-04-16 at 15:46 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Nonsense. Visual guides are helpful aids. I will admit I'm a 'crop later' kind of guy, but I do find some vertical/horizontal guide lines are useful for composition. I won't begrudge anyone who prefers a different style of guide lines in their viewfinder.
As long as the sensor is larger than the cropped image, please explain how a badly framed FF image cropped in post would have been correctly framed with a 1:1 square in the view finder. Please explain what is "non sense"?

The way I understand peterm1 claim, is that he prefers to experience a 1:1 viewfinder in the action of photographing his subject.
04-29-2016, 06:49 AM   #9

You should be able to set the aspect ratio to 1:1 for in-camera cropping/editing of JPEGS. Same as with the K-5s and K-3s. The manual says you can choose the aspect ratio but only the K-5 manuals lists the various ratios that are available. Ricoh's manuals go into less detail than Hoya's.
04-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Nonsense.
Whatever.
Just trying to help out here. I don't what babying this guy accomplishes. Some times you just have to suck it up and go with reality.
04-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks all - I had a feeling this thread would turn into an argument over cropping in camera vs in Lightroom....

Everyone has their opinion. I am very familiar with cropping in LR and do it everyday, and I can somewhat visualize a square format when shooting with my A7RII and 645z, but as some of the posters commented, it's nice to have that visual guide when actually shooting, and for the image to be saved in that cropped format (the Leica Q does this really nicely by being able to push a rear button to crop in the viewfinder and in the final saved image, with the ability to see the uncropped photo in LR if you want). It's not essential, but it's nice. End of story.

Thanks again for the replies,

Peter
04-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 -- couldn't agree more.
I have found the various crop modes on the D800 to be quite useful.
Hopefully, Pentax will address this in the future, but it wouldn't surprise me that Nikon has some patents on it.

Michael
04-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all - I had a feeling this thread would turn into an argument over cropping in camera vs in Lightroom....
You are very intuitive! And welcome to the forums by the way. It's (mostly) a friendly bunch

As to 1:1 crop mode I think it would be a cool addition. Probably not something I would use as I prefer to retain all options but who knows. An overlay guide would be useful as a visualization tool.

And even if no one here used it, it would be a good marketing item for pundits to talk about.

I think @robthebloke is the only one who actually has his k-1 yet, so his answer is the one you were looking for.
04-29-2016, 07:16 AM   #14

Everyone has their opinion. I am very familiar with cropping in LR and do it everyday, and I can somewhat visualize a square format when shooting with my A7RII and 645z, but as some of the posters commented, it's nice to have that visual guide when actually shooting, and for the image to be saved in that cropped format (the Leica Q does this really nicely by being able to push a rear button to crop in the viewfinder and in the final saved image, with the ability to see the uncropped photo in LR if you want). It's not essential, but it's nice. End of story.

Thanks again for the replies,

Peter
totally agree with the idea of having more crop options in the camera. Yes, you can crop later if you want but having the crop then allows me to design the image right there and see the results right there. Later, I may simply forget. If you want to crop later, then put on a wider lens, shoot everything with it with the intention of always having to crop. I prefer to have the most pixels I can. My choice.
04-29-2016, 07:20 AM   #15

You can always take the screen out and score or use a fine marker or technical pen to add the guides yourself.