Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

Where to buy K1 ?

Hi all !
As I am going in June in the US, I am wondering if I should try to buy the K1 in B&H store there instead of buying it in Dublin or Paris... I am interested in all advices

If I am correct the price tag converted in euros is slightly less than 1600 euros and if I add 19.6% of tax I end up just below 1900 euros. Are there some other taxes I may have to pay somewhere (in the USA or back in European Union) ? Is it worth the try in your opinion ?

04-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
Forum Member

I'm in Brussels and everywhere I've checked the K-1 has been selling for 2000 Euro. I think there a number of different tariffs at work that are upping the price within the EU. I think there's a difference in the length and coverage of the warranty, depending on where you buy it, but it seems like it is cheaper to buy in the US than in the EU.
04-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are running a risk - customs can charge you import duty if they find the camera and you can't produce paperwork saying you bought it in your own country - well, they do in the UK, anyway - they might be more relaxed there
04-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Where are you going in the U.S. If you are going somewhere outside of New York, you can have Adorama or B+H ship it there without paying sales tax. If you purchase the camera in the store, you will have to pay the tax (8.5%), but you can have it refunded when you go back through customs. You might have to pay an import/VAT tax to bring it back into the EU, though.
Oh ! Interesting. I didn't know about the 8.5% tax in the shop... The good thing is that I can have it delivered in Washington DC (I have a friend there).
Even paying the 19.6% VAT in EU makes it a good 100 euros cheaper than in EU where the price is 2000. So I am wondering if there are some extra taxes that I don't know about...

04-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
Oh ! Interesting. I didn't know about the 8.5% tax in the shop... The good thing is that I can have it delivered in Washington DC (I have a friend there).
Even paying the 19.6% VAT in EU makes it a good 100 euros cheaper than in EU where the price is 2000. So I am wondering if there are some extra taxes that I don't know about...
In practice you won't end up paying VAT unless you walk up to customs at the airport and declare that you bought it in the US...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In practice you won't end up paying VAT unless you walk up to customs at the airport and declare that you bought it in the US...
But I should do it if I want to have things done 'properly'
04-29-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In general, there is an additional import duty to be paid, based on 'customs value' (incl. VAT equivalent tax). But it happens that for DSLRs the rate is currently 0%. It is 4.2% on analog cameras and 6.7% on camera lenses.

05-03-2016, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Where are you going in the U.S. If you are going somewhere outside of New York, you can have Adorama or B+H ship it there without paying sales tax. If you purchase the camera in the store, you will have to pay the tax (8.5%), but you can have it refunded when you go back through customs. You might have to pay an import/VAT tax to bring it back into the EU, though.
As far as I know NY state sales tax cannot be recouped when you go back through customs.