Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
For hiking and trekking- if a near-normal prime is of interest: I'd like to emphasize taking a closer look at the DA* 55mm. It is weather protected, and if you take a closer look at image samples within the PentaxForums or across the web it is a consistent performer producing images with something a little extra-special in rendering. Just my personal opinion as an observer and non-owner.

Yeah, got mine the other week to be my standard prime on the K-1. Loving it so far on the A7.

It even had the job of getting right my wife's first attempt at knitting a toy ... I'm about to become a (step) grand dad for the first time!

05-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruvy Quote
Than you Mark.

Will have to learn about the A30. The 43mm looks very tempting as its angle of view is more like the human eye than the 50mm (may be wrong).
this bad boy

SMC Pentax 30mm F2.8 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It is one of the highest rated lenses in the entire legacy lens lineups. VERY RARE too so getting one now might be hard.
05-02-2016, 01:40 AM   #18

Original Poster
To Sandy Hancock, Press89, One3rdEV, Clackers and Wild Mark: thank you so much for opening for me a much wider door to Pentax lenses. Still learning...

To Kerrowdown: I love your good suggestion and great humor. Was there in the background also a hidden proposition to volunteer?
05-02-2016, 02:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hi

In the past 4 years I am a Fuji XPRO 1 shooter. Its time to change.....

I am not really familiar with Pentax lenses post M42 and wonder if there are any excellent prime lenses ... light weight ...

Getting into a new system is quite expensive so I want to keep them affordable too - let say anywhere between $200 and $800 +/- yet, still stellar in quality...

Thanks
Ruvy
You have come to the correct place - Pentax is famed for its superb prime lenses.

---------- Post added 05-02-16 at 06:28 PM ----------

The 43mm looks very tempting as its angle of view is more like the human eye than the 50mm (may be wrong).
Compared to 50mm, the FA43 is a "true normal" lens. If you consider the dimensions of the Full-frame sensor rectangle (36mm x 24mm), its diagonal measures 43mm.

Comparing the FA50 f1.4 with FA43 LTD f1.9, I would say the 43 is a lens with "character". It can impart a signature "look" to the images it produces, a look which is highly prized.

For that matter, the same can be said of its two sister lenses, the FA31 LTD f1.8 and the FA77 LTD f1.8. The three of them together are commonly known as the "The Princesses" or "Three Amigos".

These three are celebrated for the way the render their images - magical, to sum it up.

They roughly correspond to the typical "wide, normal, tele" categories as below:

35 -> 31
50 -> 43
85 -> 77

Check them out.

Last edited by KDAFA; 05-02-2016 at 02:38 AM.
05-02-2016, 10:45 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you KADAFA. Yes, I am looking forward to try them as soon as I can get my hands on a K-1. They do sound promising as are other suggested on this thread.
05-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An update:

I took delivery of my K-1 today, and the DA*55 (with the hood off) unfortunately vignettes noticeably until about f/4 - worse at infinity focus than MFD. So I must retract my earlier statement. In addition (and not surprisingly) its dedicated hood (which is no doubt designed to be optimal on APS-C) intrudes slightly into the corners of the full frame.

So, in a nutshell, the DA*55 is *not* a full frame lens.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-02-2016 at 11:53 PM.
05-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
An update:

I took delivery of my K-1 today, and the DA*55 (with the hood off) unfortunately vignettes noticeably until about f/4 - worse at infinity focus than MFD. So I must retract my earlier statement. In addition (and not surprisingly) its dedicated hood (which is no doubt designed to be optimal on APS-C) intrudes slightly into the corners of the full frame.

Not sure what's going on, Sandy, the top pic in my post above is at about f2. No problem on an A7.

And I think this one is at f2.8, hood on:

05-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Was there in the background also a hidden proposition to volunteer?
Aye lets "rock and roll big man"... the translation from Scottish to English is as follows; "Most certainly my good man" (but you will have to fund the airfare to the Holy Land).
05-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Not sure what's going on, Sandy, the top pic in my post above is at about f2. No problem on an A7.
It's weird. I will persist with the DA*55 as my "Single In" lens for May.

Interestingly, this shot shows minimal vignetting wide open (and seems pretty good otherwise )

05-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

And I think this one is at f2.8, hood on:

Interestingly, this shot shows minimal vignetting wide open (and seems pretty good otherwise )
Yesterday I used the DA* 55mm on the K-1, out in the open. I started with f/1.4, then tried f/2.0, and finished with shots at f/2.8.

I kept taking the hood off then putting it back on. I've pretty convinced that at f/1.4 I got some vignetting with the hood on. At f/2.8 I can't detect any vignetting. But any vignetting is less than I might apply in Lightroom anyway! If I use this lens on the K-1, I'll keep the hood on, because anything it is doing to the image is easily corrected. After all, if I can only say "I'm pretty convinced", it can't be serious!

However, I'm a bit less convinced about the image quality in the corners. I may be paranoid, but I think the result is OK on the right, but not so good on the left. Perhaps I have a slightly decentred lens, that only becomes apparent outside the APS-C sensor area? The problem with that hypothesis is that the slight softness on the left is more apparent at f/2.8 than at f/2.0. I'm confused!

Obviously I have to do some more tests. And I would normally use that lens at f/4 or f/5.6, so I really should have taken some more photos stopped down a little more. It was a hurried test, added on to a more serious test of Pixel Shift with Motion Correction using the D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 lens. Now I know what to look for, I will do a better test.
05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi

In the past 4 years I am a Fuji XPRO 1 shooter. Its time to change. Under consideration are Sony A7R2, XRPO 2 and K1, K1 being heaviest and largest. While weight has no bearing on IQ, with age it became quite a significant factor in my rational, however not at the expense of good glass. I am not really familiar with Pentax lenses post M42 and wonder if there are any excellent prime lenses that by their light weight can balance off this exceptionally heavy body (2.5 times heavier than my Fuji) in such a way that the total weight difference will not be so huge. Getting into a new system is quite expensive so I want to keep them affordable too - let say anywhere between $200 and $800 +/- yet, still stellar in quality.

The FF equivalence of lenses I am using right now are: 18mm (better slightly wider), 27mm, 50mm 85mm. Want to add in the future 120mm and something around 22mm). I don't mind some deviation from these sizes.

Thanks
Ruvy
Ruvy, Personally after handling the K-1 I think any prime lens will balance well with it. The FA and FA Limiteds etc.
05-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
. I may be paranoid, but I think the result is OK on the right, but not so good on the left.
On a ball mount tripod, take an absolutely perpendicular shot in portrait mode, rotate 180 degrees and take again. If the softness has swapped sides, you know you've got a decentred copy. :-(
05-03-2016, 03:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Ruvy, Personally after handling the K-1 I think any prime lens will balance well with it. The FA and FA Limiteds etc.
I'm pretty sure the OP is really looking for lenses that are *light*, to *offset* the weight of the K-1. "Balance off" was probably a poor choice of words.

But I agree. Every lens I have tried on the K-1 feels goooood
05-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

I just tried the A50/1.2 on my K1. Balances beautifully. The 43 LTD is small on it. I put the A15/3.5 on and that was quite nice, but good luck finding one, they are quite scarce from what I understand.The A20/2.8 seems a bit small, but the A24/2.8 fits nicely.
The 77 is good I actually like the focal length better on APS-C, but the lens works well on the K1, the A*85/1.4 is glorious.
I'm kind of in pig heaven right now.
05-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, that's been my experience on the Sony FF ... I've only had the lens a week or so, BTW.