Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Turn off pixel shift and the K3II image then looks the same as the full frame images so you still are not losing anything.
think the decision to go ff also depends on what you shoot. I'm mainly landscape. I think i'll stick with my k3 for now.
The main thing FF is offering me right now, is the availability of the tamron 15 30 2.8 for pentax..

05-01-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I know pixel shift has it's limitations ...
That's a bit of an understatement - it is only usable for almost perfectly static scenes, and all but useless for wildlife, sports, street, portraiture, photojournalism, fashion, concerts, weddings ... any application that includes moving objects.

It can be useful, yes, but it doesn't enable a K3 II to match a high resolution FF camera 90% of the time.
05-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
That's a bit of an understatement - it is only usable for almost perfectly static scenes, and all but useless for wildlife, sports, street, portraiture, photojournalism, fashion, concerts, weddings ... any application that includes moving objects.

It can be useful, yes, but it doesn't enable a K3 II to match a high resolution FF camera 90% of the time.
I think people can find creative ways to use pixel shift in all those categories of photography.
05-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #34
Moderator PEG Judges

it is only usable for almost perfectly static scenes
I'm looking forward to see if I can spot any difference in my product photography, like in these two examples, which were for personal project not client work.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/306688d14...-gathering.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/12-post-your-photos/308057d14...gs-missing.jpg

05-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I shoot with both Pentax and Nikon gear. The D750 is an excellent camera and with Nikon you will have more lens options. However, body vs. body, the K1 is superior over the D750. If you don't want FF 36MP, or the amazing pixel shift images at 40MP, you can always shoot crop frame which is probably around 24MP. The K1 also has up to 5 EV IBIS and the rear screen can do more than the tilt only D750. Astrotracer is another built-in bonus.

Another perspective is that the K1 is the top of the line Pentax. The D750 is the middle sibling of the D810 and big daddy D5 with a new baby D500.

My body decisions have always been based on the lenses I have or want to get. IF this is not an issue, then camera vs. camera it's the K1. But the D750 is still an excellent camera choice considering it was released in September 2014.
05-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Just shoot in crop mode with your existing Aps-c lenses when you don't need the resolution, and use FF lenses when it benefits you. If your keeping your K3 then it would be mad to not use lenses that are interchangeable, unless Nikon had a specific lens not available in the pentax system.
05-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Perhaps you could be good enough to enlighten me further and no doubt others following this thread.
Kerrowdown that was a bit of sarcasm. What is there to enlighten you further about?

The OP said they have waited for a FF camera from Pentax but Pentax didn't deliver for them because the K-1 has a 36mp sensor. They wanted 24mp hence the reason I suggested getting the K-3II as it offers the same relative IQ as other brands full frame efforts especially the 2 year old Nikon D750 and with pixel shift turned on the K-3II is able to bring a level of sharpness the other brands can not. All at the OP's desired 24mp limit. Of course the K-1 has pixel shift etc. But the OP doesn't want a Pentax FF 36mp DSLR.

Now of course the OP could just settle for the K-1 even though it has the dreaded 36mp count which brings up a file storage dilemma for them. A. They could take less images. In the digital age people are clickety clickety click. Reduce the amount of photos taken presto you save on storage needs. B. At the conclusion of a days shooting were you can not help just clickety click click click shooting I am certain most of the images can just be discarded in the end eliminating the need to save all the images and the anxiety that goes along with it. C. Maybe the OP could petition Pentax to allow the K-1 to shoot a reduced RAW file that only uses 24mp instead of the full 36mp.

Plus with the K-1 you get WIFI GPS Weather sealed pixel shift astrotracer and probably the best moveable screen on the market. Larger view finder etc. Something I don't think anyone who has a K-1 in hand has even mentioned the viewfinder. Instead there are multiple threads about whether there is the ability to shoot in 1:1 format. Which I didn't realize is so critical. (Hint: That was sarcasm.)
05-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #38
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Perhaps you could be good enough to enlighten me further and no doubt others following this thread.
Strange thing this sarcasm.

05-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kerrowdown that was a bit of sarcasm. What is there to enlighten you further about?

The OP said they have waited for a FF camera from Pentax but Pentax didn't deliver for them because the K-1 has a 36mp sensor. They wanted 24mp hence the reason I suggested getting the K-3II as it offers the same relative IQ as other brands full frame efforts especially the 2 year old Nikon D750 and with pixel shift turned on the K-3II is able to bring a level of sharpness the other brands can not. All at the OP's desired 24mp limit. Of course the K-1 has pixel shift etc. But the OP doesn't want a Pentax FF 36mp DSLR.

Now of course the OP could just settle for the K-1 even though it has the dreaded 36mp count which brings up a file storage dilemma for them. A. They could take less images. In the digital age people are clickety clickety click. Reduce the amount of photos taken presto you save on storage needs. B. At the conclusion of a days shooting were you can not help just clickety click click click shooting I am certain most of the images can just be discarded in the end eliminating the need to save all the images and the anxiety that goes along with it. C. Maybe the OP could petition Pentax to allow the K-1 to shoot a reduced RAW file that only uses 24mp instead of the full 36mp.

Plus with the K-1 you get WIFI GPS Weather sealed pixel shift astrotracer and probably the best moveable screen on the market. Larger view finder etc. Something I don't think anyone who has a K-1 in hand has even mentioned the viewfinder. Instead there are multiple threads about whether there is the ability to shoot in 1:1 format. Which I didn't realize is so critical. (Hint: That was sarcasm.)
Is file storage really a problem. I mean if you can afford a $2000 camera what's another $200 for 8TB of hard drive space.
05-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Is file storage really a problem. I mean if you can afford a $2000 camera what's another $200 for 8TB of hard drive space.
As the world turns Dr_who. As the world turns.
05-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #41
Site Supporter

Review comparing Nikon 810 to the Pentax K-1

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its the same sensor as the D800E, D810, right? Maybe updated a little. Yes, Pentax is terrible at advertising, but I'm sure we will see plenty of stunning photos once more top notch photographers get their hands on these cameras.

Valid concern. Files are pretty large, according to reports. But even 24MP files are not super small.

Don't think this is a problem. The 36MP sensor has the same pixel density as the K-5 series 16MP APSC sensors, and those are legendary as some of the best DR and noise in APSC sensors so far. The K-1 will perform better than the K-5IIs. I doubt any 24MP FF camera will deliver significantly better DR or Noise, unless you go with a very specialized camera like Sony 12MP A7S

Well, the K-1 still has FF and Crop mode, so you can use crop mode. And many DA lenses will work fine on the K-1 in FF mode, as well as all DFA, FA, and older lenses. I think that's something, much better than starting out with zero glass.

Yeah, Pentax really dropped the ball on this front. I think they just assumed that, since FF was such a big deal for Pentaxians, they won't have to bother with marketing, advertising. Mistake.

Well, on these forums I have seen responses like "don't let the door hit you on the way out" before. I don't quite agree with that, don't want to push anybody out, but hey, if you think the grass is greener, go for it. Some users left and are happy, some users started using dual system, but there was even a thread where people confessed that they consider it a mistake that they jumped ship. I just suggest you make a list of features that you need, that you want, and see which camera system brings them to you. And also that you hold both cameras in hand. Often this, the feeling of the camera, its shape, its button placement, its heft, are very important to the photographer. The K-1 will be relatively compact and in many way similar to previous Pentax flagships. Dunno about that Nikon

Good luck, either way you choose.
The comparison favored the Pentax 96% to the Nikon 94%. Every facet of Pentax K-1 was better than the 810 by Nikon. I was astounded. RJM
05-01-2016, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is nothing inherent in a FF image that will blow you out of the water. No uninitiated will look at your FF images and faint.
Exactly. I've seen photos taken with K-r, even Q, or K-5 with a Holga toy lens, that were stunning. And I have seen photos with Canon 5DII, Nikon D700 that were barely alright. The reason why so many FF images are amazing is that if you see an FF camera, it is probably in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. Because nobody else would spend so much on a camera. (note: there are exceptions) But APSC cameras can be found for a much lower cost, and that means that they end up in hands of more casual photographers, amateurs, and even people who don't really care about photography at all. That means that APSC will be used to take more bad photos, but that doesn't mean its APSC fault.

And we can see this going on with 645, as well. I've seen many amazing 645 photos, but pretty much all of them were on exquisite locations, using a tripod, perfect WB, interesting models, and so on. I haven't seen any full Auto jpeg snapshots from that camera, because nobody buys that camera for such purposes. If someone invests that much money into camera and lenses, they probably already invested into workshops, education, books, lights, triggers, tripod, lenses, plane tickets, etc.

Now, with prices of FF cameras getting lower, we will see these lines blur. Any camera is capable of taking bad photos. And these days, many cameras are capable of taking good photos.
So, like I said earlier, the K-1 will be slightly better than the K-5, but will be barely noticeable if you shoot both cameras in good conditions, with good lenses, and look at resized jpegs. If you shoot at ISO 6400, then K-1 photos will be less ugly. If you print large posters, then the K-1 photos will look more detailed upon close inspection. If you mess up the settings and try to recover an over or under exposed photo, then the K-1 will give you more to work with. Main difference is that K-1 has some features, like tilt screen, and that its photos with the same lens will appear wide angle. The real difference is with features, and if you know how to use them: do you need pixel shift? do you need WR? do you need fast burst mode? do you need tilt screen? do you need more resolution?

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-01-2016 at 05:03 PM.
05-02-2016, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

This is only my personal viewpoint, but for whatever it's worth. . . The K-1 stirred a lot of excitement in me, and I can't say I didn't feel a desire for it. However, any way I figured, it's too costly, too big and heavy, and over-specified for my needs. It's a lot of camera, and it's awesome for those who need a lot of camera, but that's not me. So then I made the rounds of shopping other brands: Olympus, Fuji, Sony, etc. I looked at lots of mirrorless systems. And after going around in circles several times I settled on. . . a Pentax K-S2.

The only real downside I see, for my purposes, is that all my "vintage glass" will be stuck using the APS-C crop factor. Is that really so bad, though? So the 50mm is now a portrait lens, the 28mm is now a normal lens, the 19mm is now a regular wide-angle (instead of super-wide), and. . . I can buy a new 15mm LTD, and I'm done.
05-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
Is the autofocus as good or better than the D750?
Hopefully it is as good. I tried a pre release K1 and it seemed a lot faster and more accurate than my K3. However, as you know Nikon has the best focusing system in the DSLR world. This is coming from a former Canon and current Pentax owner. I always envied the fast and accurate focusing of my Nikon friend's cameras.

If the K3 is as good as the 750, we have a winner in the autofocus department.