Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Decisions, decisions

I have posted this in the Facebook Pentax Full Frame group, but I expect some valuable opinions are available here so I'll also post it here.

I know it is early in the game, but so far I can't say I've been particularly impressed with the K-1 produced images I've seen. I'm also not so sure I want 36ish mp, rather than 24ish mp both for the concern of hard drive space and the size of the individual pixel sites.
Therefore, I'm still considering jumping ship for my full frame. I have to get new lenses regardless so that isn't a good reason to stay with Pentax. The main reason I want to stay with Pentax is its ruggedness, its ergonomics, and its user friendly interface. The camera I'm most considering changing to is the Nikon D750, I can get into it with their 24-120 lens for about the same money as the K-1.
I'd love to hear other opinions as to why I should stay with Pentax or for that matter why I should change. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

05-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

I'd wait until we get lots of samples floating around. I will agree I haven't see a lot that made me think "Wow". But most sample to date are small jpegs which you couldn't tell the difference between any camera. I don't think Pentax did a good job on producing high resolution samples. I remember the 645Z samples being amazing.

Either way just wait it out until we get lots of reviews.
05-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
just wait it out until we get lots of reviews.
+1 good points.
05-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Why do you need a full frame?

05-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Why do you need a full frame?
Low-light performance, IQ
05-01-2016, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
I know it is early in the game, but so far I can't say I've been particularly impressed with the K-1 produced images I've seen.
Its the same sensor as the D800E, D810, right? Maybe updated a little. Yes, Pentax is terrible at advertising, but I'm sure we will see plenty of stunning photos once more top notch photographers get their hands on these cameras.
I'm also not so sure I want 36ish mp, rather than 24ish mp both for the concern of hard drive space and the size
Valid concern. Files are pretty large, according to reports. But even 24MP files are not super small.
[...]of the individual pixel sites.
Don't think this is a problem. The 36MP sensor has the same pixel density as the K-5 series 16MP APSC sensors, and those are legendary as some of the best DR and noise in APSC sensors so far. The K-1 will perform better than the K-5IIs. I doubt any 24MP FF camera will deliver significantly better DR or Noise, unless you go with a very specialized camera like Sony 12MP A7S
I have to get new lenses regardless so that isn't a good reason to stay with Pentax.
Well, the K-1 still has FF and Crop mode, so you can use crop mode. And many DA lenses will work fine on the K-1 in FF mode, as well as all DFA, FA, and older lenses. I think that's something, much better than starting out with zero glass.
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
I don't think Pentax did a good job on producing high resolution samples. I remember the 645Z samples being amazing.
Yeah, Pentax really dropped the ball on this front. I think they just assumed that, since FF was such a big deal for Pentaxians, they won't have to bother with marketing, advertising. Mistake.

I'd love to hear other opinions as to why I should stay with Pentax or for that matter why I should change. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Well, on these forums I have seen responses like "don't let the door hit you on the way out" before. I don't quite agree with that, don't want to push anybody out, but hey, if you think the grass is greener, go for it. Some users left and are happy, some users started using dual system, but there was even a thread where people confessed that they consider it a mistake that they jumped ship. I just suggest you make a list of features that you need, that you want, and see which camera system brings them to you. And also that you hold both cameras in hand. Often this, the feeling of the camera, its shape, its button placement, its heft, are very important to the photographer. The K-1 will be relatively compact and in many way similar to previous Pentax flagships. Dunno about that Nikon

Good luck, either way you choose.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.
05-01-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The images may lose some of their composition data if they have been shrunken to accomodate being posted on the internet. It may not be heavily evident in some cases, but can have an impact. I have to admit that I have seen some very impressing sample posts of K-1 images so far/already. I have a a K-3II which does wonders with 24 mp, so I am not doubting the K-1 capability being it is utilizing 36 mp in full frame mode. Original K-1 samples are going to be the only ones that will tell its detail/color/crop capabilities.

05-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I can get into it with their 24-120 lens for about the same money as the K-1.
True. 750 is a great camera and the 24-120 is a great lens. A friend of mine shoots with the 24-120 on a D3. He wants to get the 750 because the other body he has is the 7100 which is APS-C. He is heavily invested in Nikon lenses.

K1 is in the D810 class in terms of capability. Because of the lower cost and a few more key capabilities, K1 in terms of value is unbeatable (at least for now). K1 vs. D750, you get two cameras that are similarly priced but in capability the K1 is in a totally different league.

If I switched to Nikon, it would be for its much more extensive FF lens offerings and also strong third party lens support. Hard drives are cheap these days, I would not shy away from 36MP just because it takes more hard drive space.

After all, cameras are just tools. Choose the one that is best suited for your type of work. My K3 is fantastic but it lacks in detail when printed very large. That is why I need a K1 level resolving power. I did consider moving to Nikon but I waited out for Pentax. I am glad I did. I do have two K3s and five full frame and a few M42 and K-mount legacy Pentax lenses. So a Nikon switch with all new bodies and lenses was going to be costly.

If you are not invested in the Pentax system (lots of lenses and bodies) then a system switch would not be costly. The question then would become what tool for the job.

Good luck with your decision. It is tough because there are so many good choices out there.
05-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have posted this in the Facebook Pentax Full Frame group, but I expect some valuable opinions are available here so I'll also post it here.

I know it is early in the game, but so far I can't say I've been particularly impressed with the K-1 produced images I've seen. I'm also not so sure I want 36ish mp, rather than 24ish mp both for the concern of hard drive space and the size of the individual pixel sites.
Therefore, I'm still considering jumping ship for my full frame. I have to get new lenses regardless so that isn't a good reason to stay with Pentax. The main reason I want to stay with Pentax is its ruggedness, its ergonomics, and its user friendly interface. The camera I'm most considering changing to is the Nikon D750, I can get into it with their 24-120 lens for about the same money as the K-1.
Have you seen these? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319867-k-1-files-jpg-raw.html
05-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its the same sensor as the D800E, D810, right? Maybe updated a little. Yes, Pentax is terrible at advertising, but I'm sure we will see plenty of stunning photos once more top notch photographers get their hands on these cameras.

Valid concern. Files are pretty large, according to reports. But even 24MP files are not super small.

Don't think this is a problem. The 36MP sensor has the same pixel density as the K-5 series 16MP APSC sensors, and those are legendary as some of the best DR and noise in APSC sensors so far. The K-1 will perform better than the K-5IIs. I doubt any 24MP FF camera will deliver significantly better DR or Noise, unless you go with a very specialized camera like Sony 12MP A7S

Well, the K-1 still has FF and Crop mode, so you can use crop mode. And many DA lenses will work fine on the K-1, as well as all DFA, FA, and older lenses. I think that's something, much better than starting out with zero glass.

Yeah, Pentax really dropped the ball on this front. I think they just assumed that, since FF was such a big deal for Pentaxians, they won't have to bother with marketing, advertising. Mistake.

Well, on these forums I have seen responses like "don't let the door hit you on the way out" before. I don't quite agree with that, don't want to push anybody out, but hey, if you think the grass is greener, go for it. Some users left and are happy, some users started using dual system, but there was even a thread where people confessed that they consider it a mistake that they jumped ship. I just suggest you make a list of features that you need, that you want, and see which camera system brings them to you. And also that you hold both cameras in hand. Often this, the feeling of the camera, its shape, its button placement, its heft, are very important to the photographer. The K-1 will be relatively compact and in many way similar to previous Pentax flagships. Dunno about that Nikon

Good luck, either way you choose.
+1 on all points.
05-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'd love to hear other opinions as to why I should stay with Pentax or for that matter why I should change
In real terms there's no "coming or going" brand wise... just get whatever it is you need to get the job done and that's something only you can answer.

Many folk here, run multiple camera systems for that very reason.
05-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #12
osv
Veteran Member

I know it is early in the game, but so far I can't say I've been particularly impressed with the K-1 produced images I've seen.
pentax dropped the ball on that, there are a number of people on this forum who could have done a better job taking k-1 pics than what pentax gave us.

I'd love to hear other opinions as to why I should stay with Pentax or for that matter why I should change.
you haven't made a case for stepping up to ff in general, so why do it? you don't seem to need it.

in other words, you haven't listed any reasons why your k3 fails to get the shots that you want.
05-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As others have said the camera is a tool, get the one that works forr you. However basing that decision on the few pictures posted so far seems silly. There will be no detectable difference in image quality in any of the latest cameras. Look instead at the features and ergonomics.
05-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, I didn't. Nice examples.
05-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

This is also the first impression I had so far.
Normally, by the physics of the sensor technology, full frame vs apsc, should provide about 1 stop better iso capability, however it seem that the K-1 provides significantly more than one stop.
+ looking at 100% crop as not as sharp as what can be obtained with the Pentax K-3.
So, my guess is that It looks like Pentax did orient post processing of raw images to reduce noise beyond what other full frame cameras typically achieve.
Nikons post-processing generally deliver more contrast. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that processing 36Mp RAW images into 24Mp JPEG files should be delivering as good as, if not better than the D750 results (the D750 having an optical anti-alias filter). The images recently posted from PF members look better to me than the images posted by Ricoh. I'll be waiting before I'd eventually get a K-1, to get more infos about what it can do, and also avoid potential bugs that can come with new camera models. However, my case is different, I have good k mount lenses ff compliant so, it is still financially more interesting to stay with Pentax than to switch to Nikon. I tried the D750, but I really felt cheap compared to Pentax. The D600 being on the cheap side as far as AF is concerned and the D810 being rather big and expensive.