Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2016, 02:47 AM   #136
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax does not apply sharpening to its RAW files, though what you describe may be possible with in-camera JPEG.

Steve
Then it must be some kind of mechanical issue as the difference between iso 100 and iso 800 is quite obvious on DPR samples.

09-04-2016, 03:49 AM   #137
Veteran Member

There is noticeable "thunk" activating the shutter at certain exposure times. I have very heavy duty tripod and still, when shooting multiexposure series (continuous shooting) at exposure times between 1/100 - 0.5 seconds the vibrations can be felt on surface where the tripod stands. This applies both to the mirror movement AND the shutter at the end of the exposure.

Nikon D8x0 bodies do this as well except D810 in EFCS mode.
09-04-2016, 04:04 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I have very heavy duty tripod and still, when shooting multiexposure series (continuous shooting) at exposure times between 1/100 - 0.5 seconds the vibrations can be felt on surface where the tripod stands. This applies both to the mirror movement AND the shutter at the end of the exposure.
How on earth did we manage in the olden days?
09-04-2016, 05:01 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
We didn't, that's why we are trying new stuff.

09-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Well there is no issue with shock when doing single long exposures. But I decided to not purchase ND filters for d-fa 15-30. I will use multiexposure instead with a series of images. I just noticed this "shock" thing when sitting on a wooden pier waiting for multiexposure to finish up. I could feel every shutter actuation sitting next to tripod.
09-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #141
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
35mm is tiny and people were happy with 8x10 enlargements. Nowadays people want pixel level sharpness on 4K monitors ans 24x36" prints.
09-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Well there is no issue with shock when doing single long exposures. But I decided to not purchase ND filters for d-fa 15-30. I will use multiexposure instead with a series of images. I just noticed this "shock" thing when sitting on a wooden pier waiting for multiexposure to finish up. I could feel every shutter actuation sitting next to tripod.
With the K-5 (if I recall correctly) one could avoid the mirror shock when doing multi exposures by first engaging live view. The mirror stayed up between the exposures and only the shutter where moving. But Iím not so sure the K-1 does the same thing. (I donít have the K-1 with me right now so I canít test it myself at the moment.)
09-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
With the K-5 (if I recall correctly) one could avoid the mirror shock when doing multi exposures by first engaging live view. The mirror stayed up between the exposures and only the shutter where moving. But Iím not so sure the K-1 does the same thing. (I donít have the K-1 with me right now so I canít test it myself at the moment.)
I think if you shoot with pixel shift, using a remote (3 second lock up), the camera uses an electronic shutter rather than the physical shutter. I think most other modes that I have used use the physical shutter and the mirror moves as well. I suppose if you are desperate to avoid this, you could shoot pixel shift and only use the first image of the four shot.

09-05-2016, 02:32 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Hmh? Remote activates EFCS? If that is so then why not 2s delay mode as well? Liveview might keep mirror up, not sure about it though. Have to listen more carefully what happens.
09-05-2016, 05:11 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Pixel shift uses EFCS, and that is the only mode that does use EFCS, as far as I know.
09-05-2016, 11:18 AM   #146
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmh? Remote activates EFCS? If that is so then why not 2s delay mode as well?
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Pixel shift uses EFCS, and that is the only mode that does use EFCS, as far as I know.
What he said ^ ^ ^

...and then fully for only the second and third exposures. The first ends with EFCS "close" and the fourth ends with close of the conventional shutter. Edit: Not sure about this one. Just because the curtain moves does not mean that is the start/stop of the exposure.

Liveview might keep mirror up, not sure about it though.
Mirror stays up for live view on the K-1 and K3/K-3II. I don't know about the K-70 or K-S2.

Steve
09-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #147
Pentaxian

I went through the different ways one could do multi exposures on the K-1 (that I know of) and it seems to me as the best way is using a wired remote (2 sec timer or IR-remote has drawbacks) and the continuous multi exposure mode where you can select between three different speeds. This combined with live view.

This is the only way you get mirror up during the entire sequence and only one shutter cycle per exposure without touching the camera.

If you use remote and live view the mirror stays up, but the shutter will cycle twice for every exposure since it will open for live view between every shot.

And Interval composite unfortunately cycles the mirror for every shot even if you start in live view.