Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fredooo Quote
Please anyone who received his K1 can post low speed photos between 1/4 to 1/60 th and see if SR is really effective!That the main reason because i orderer the K1 ! Tired of the D 800 E blur pics.
The SR on my old K10D is very effective down to 1/40 or even lower (depending on the lens), using proper camera-holding technique. At 1/4 sec you're into tripod territory, although I've gotten the occasional keeper. I'm pretty confident that the K-1 SR is vastly improved over the older models.

05-04-2016, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only thing flapping around here are my arms waiting for my k1.
05-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Please anyone who received his K1 can post low speed photos between 1/4 to 1/60 th and see if SR is really effective!That the main reason because i orderer the K1 ! Tired of the D 800 E blur pics.
You should start a new tread for that, will be more effective I believe.
05-04-2016, 03:28 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
One thing that bothers me a lot about 'mirror slap' and 'shutter shock' claims in relation to any Pentax, not only the K-1, is the fact that Pentax sensors basically are not solidly fixed in the camera body. The sensor sort of floats in a magnetic field. It's not fixed in place, it's [except for a few wires] not touching anything. Hence there is simply way less scope for any internal vibrations or shocks to disturb the sensor.

In other cameras (eg Sony A7R, Nikon D800), when the shutter rattles or the mirror slaps, any internal vibration thus generated basically passes metal-to-metal (or metal to plastic) straight through to the sensor. But not in Pentax if the SR is active. SR provides a form of 'air gap' insulation for the sensor against internal slap and shock.
Hi Rawr.

Seems a reasonable concept although the original Nikon D800 has had quite a few complaints regards shuttershock. For example:
What's everyone's take on Shutter Vibration -- d800 vs d810 - FM Forums

There are plenty more posts like this on the web if you want to go searching.

Also, you will find that Panasonic and Olympus mirrorless cameras have been panned in some circles for shutter shock/vibration. Most probably due to the lower mass of the camera bodies although for more info just Google about it.

Anyway, I'd like to see or hear more evidence before we conclude it is an issue for the K1.

Howie Be

05-04-2016, 05:39 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The poorly focusing Sony A7R that Osv is stuck with is also notorious for its shutter shock.

Other cameras with the same sensor are designed differently, and have more body weight.
05-15-2016, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #51

The Camera Store in Canada - Hands-on Field Test Pentax K-1

(at 4:41)
QuoteQuote:
Hi guys. I am... I am blown away. Ok, I'm shooting this macro stuff and no tripod, just hand-held. I was doing 2 second self-timer mirror lockup but now I'm just firing straight off the shutter. And you know these shots are crazy sharp, tons of detail. This shutter slap in the K-1 is absolutely, completely dampened. You just get no movement - so blown away! And keeping in mind too, this is full frame - super thin depth-of-field, shooting at f7 - and it's just working fantastic. So I'm really pleased with this platform stability.
05-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #52
Pentaxian

So, go figure mirrorless addicts....

05-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Funny how people take issues, that are serious issues on other cameras, and try and apply them to the K-1. Maybe it's because it's the same sensor?

I've seen my Nikon shooting buddies going to great lengths to try and limit mirror slap issues. This guy is assuming that the because Nikon couldn't get it right, that Pentax didn't, or that any problem Nikon had will also be true of the Pentax.

Well, simple fact. Nikon D800 and D810.... there's a mirror slap issue.
Pentax K-1 , no mirror slap issue. Which do you want?

Plain enough?

IN fact there is an anti mirror slap issue. The K-1 has shake reduction built in that stabilizes every Pentax lens ever made including the excellent lenses made in the past. Nothing in Nikon land can approach it. SO quit worrying about the imagined Pentax mirror slap issue and start worrying about the real lack of Shake Reduction in older glass in the Canikon world. Worry about something that is real, if you're going to waste your time worrying.

Here we have another post designed to create the impression that there is an issue where none exists in a forum of Pentax users. I have trouble believing posters like this are anything other than Canikon shills. They now have a thread to point to on the Pentax forum to prove that people over here are discussing an invented by the competition problem as proof that it might be real.

I am constantly amazed at the deviousness of guerrilla marketers. Nothing is beneath them.

And yes, I have been in a camera store and heard someone selling a competitor's product with a very hard sell, refer to one of these types of threads.

Last edited by normhead; 05-15-2016 at 11:32 AM.
05-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #54

As far as I can make out one or two of the patents Ricoh filed in the past 2-3 years had to do with mirror/shutter damping/return.
05-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Low speed pics.
Shot taken with DFA 28-105 at 100% in LR:
Attached Images

05-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The poorly focusing Sony A7R that Osv is stuck with is also notorious for its shutter shock.

Other cameras with the same sensor are designed differently, and have more body weight.
That is not a camera. It's a sinister torture device upon which one may attach a lens should one wish. Hopefully mine goes end of this week.
05-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #57
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Be careful using the term in Scotland
Indeed...
05-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
That is not a camera. It's a sinister torture device upon which one may attach a lens should one wish. Hopefully mine goes end of this week.
That's odd. I've been using mine quite painlessly, and getting excellent results, for the last two years. it's just another camera. I learned the controls and got on with things. Same will be the case for the K-1 if I decide to get one.
05-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
That's odd. I've been using mine quite painlessly, and getting excellent results, for the last two years. it's just another camera. I learned the controls and got on with things. Same will be the case for the K-1 if I decide to get one.
Me and the A7r (and especially the Sony "Zeiss" glass, which has ZERO QC) have not, do not and never will get on.

It's been a nightmare to be frank.
05-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Me and the A7r (and especially the Sony "Zeiss" glass, which has ZERO QC) have not, do not and never will get on.

It's been a nightmare to be frank.
I have one Zeiss/Sony lens. Excellent imaqe quality. I gather that Zeiss/Sony quality control could use some improvements, but the use of the term "zero" in that regard is an exaggeration.

What is the exact nature of your problems with the Sony system? How experienced a photographer are you? If Sony is that awful, why did you buy one in the first place?

Are you sure your skills are up to par? What if you start using a K-1 and have an equally horrible time with it?

This is a Pentax forum. Why do you repeatedly use it is a platform for bashing another brand while offering little if any real evidence to support your claims?

I like Sony gear. I like Pentax gear. They are different systems. So what?

Last edited by John Poirier; 05-16-2016 at 03:27 PM.