Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #91
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
OK, you don't have to watch the video if you don't want to...but, if you are going to argue against it maybe you should. Literally 14 seconds after the time I quoted (so at 4:56) they show a zooming cropped image of the photo discussed...clearly they are not just making an opinion from viewing the rear monitor.
you are right in that i didn't watch the video, because i knew that it wasn't going to back up the claim that the k-1 doesn't have a shutter/mirror vibration problem.

at your behest, i went ahead and watched it now, and guess what, the macro pic clearly states that it was shot at 1/500th, which is out of the range of shutter/mirror vibration problems, so of course the photo is going to look clean.

hint: if you read the dpr quote that i posted in this thread, it mentions 1/60th as the most problematic vibration range for the 5dsr...

so those guys holding up a 1/500th pic as proof, while loudly proclaiming at the same time that "this shutter slap in the k-1 is absolutely completely dampened", is a pretty big fail.

05-20-2016, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #92
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK. Ahem.
05-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
It is shame that K-1 does not have less vib mode like 5d mark 3 have.
I strongly suspect that the K-1 has less vibration than a 5D3, especially in AF-S.

I think Pentax has taken a different engineering approach to shutter and mirror vibration than other DSLR makers. K-1 doesn't offer 'quiet' modes like the 5D3, or the 'Q' or 'Qc' modes of Nikon. Rather than create such 'dumbed down' quiet modes for their cameras, Pentax engineers have traditionally chosen to offer low vibration in all shooting modes. Eg via the K-3's mirror bounce damper that delivers mirror bounce damping all the time (see below)
K-3 II mirror-bounce damper mechanism

and now the K-1, with it's new floating mirror structure, which has produced even smaller mirror bounce than the K-3:
QuoteQuote:
"...the PENTAX K-1’s mirror bounce is even smaller than that of the APS-C-sized PENTAX K-3, which is theoretically easier to regulate because of its lighter mirror. In the end, the PENTAX engineers gave birth to the innovative Floating Mirror Structure, which drives a large mirror efficiently in a limited space, without the aid of an additional bounce-regulation mechanism or damper."
Challengers | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Last edited by rawr; 05-20-2016 at 07:26 PM.
05-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Edit: links are expired. See my post below, the google links should hold for awhile.

United States Patent Application: 0140072292
United States Patent Application: 0140072291

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-20-2016 at 08:19 PM.
05-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #95
Pentaxian

I get this:
QuoteQuote:
Error #1003
Error!
BRS was unable to process your request as submitted. A diagnostic message was mailed to the appropriate personnel.
05-20-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

Let's try these. The US Fed site appears to generate transient links on the fly.

Different but related patent applications BTW

https://www.google.com/patents/US8628259?dq=ricoh+imaging+mirror&hl=en&sa=X&...ohDBMQ6AEIHDAA
https://www.google.com/patents/US8979400?dq=ricoh+imaging+mirror&hl=en&sa=X&...ohDBMQ6AEIWzAJ

I think this is one of those referenced earlier:
https://www.google.com/patents/US20130108257?dq=ricoh+imaging+mirror&hl=en&s...ohDBMQ6AEIMTAD
05-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Let's try these.
Links work fine now. Thanks.
Google Patent search is excellent. PDF downloads included.
05-21-2016, 12:11 AM - 2 Likes   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The Pentax K1 Thread! - Post all your K1 picts and impressions - Page 3
Not a single complaint.
I see that you have been fussing over one issue to another.
Stop!
Its really time to just get the camera.
Hi Pinholecam Sir, I see that you are fussing over another fuss. Members have a right to check up on possible problems, reported, perceived or experienced on gear they have or propose to acquire one.

So please do not "shut up or silence" people discussing these problems. In fact I have seen other reports on camera vibration due to the mirror box or sensor movement.

Empathy and sympathy Sir for your fellow members.

May the Force be with you.

05-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Hi Pinholecam Sir, I see that you are fussing over another fuss. Members have a right to check up on possible problems, reported, perceived or experienced on gear they have or propose to acquire one.

So please do not "shut up or silence" people discussing these problems. In fact I have seen other reports on camera vibration due to the mirror box or sensor movement.

Empathy and sympathy Sir for your fellow members.

May the Force be with you.

I can't be bothered to visit this thread again, but since you lead me back to it by quoting me....

I'm a "proof in the pudding is in the eating" kind of guy.

I own the camera/lenses or have used it before.
I post examples, and show what the lenses can do.
I like spending time taking photos, making my equipment work, warts and all rather than theorizing/speculating on camera gear.

Its so easy nowadays to be the 'critical' user.
"My standards are so high, nothing meets my citeria" = I am so darn good .
Its easy to pretend so on the internet.
Instead,
Why not love the equipment you have and use it to its fullest?

So if TS or anyone wants to talk, please buy the camera, loan it, etc, do the samples up and discuss.

OT, was some unlinked, unfounded speculation from someone w/o the camera (nor from one who even tried it) .

Rant over.

Don't bother replying.

I'd rather spend my time taking photos with my Pentax stuff and telling ppl that they take nice pictures and are very portable with the K1.
05-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #100
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you are right in that i didn't watch the video, because i knew that it wasn't going to back up the claim that the k-1 doesn't have a shutter/mirror vibration problem.
Didn't watch because you already knew the result...makes things pretty easy if there is nothing new to learn?

at your behest, i went ahead and watched it now, and guess what, the macro pic clearly states that it was shot at 1/500th, which is out of the range of shutter/mirror vibration problems, so of course the photo is going to look clean.
What speed were the guys in the Digitalrev video shooting at? Unknown, no data, no images, just conjecture.

You chose to make the point about reviewing on the rear monitor...I addressed that point...the presence or lack of mirror slap at a given shutter speed is irrelevant to your flawed argument "reviewed only on rear monitor, no good".

hint: if you read the dpr quote that i posted in this thread, it mentions 1/60th as the most problematic vibration range for the 5dsr...
You got me, I didn't read it...because I wasn't talking about the Canon 5dsr...I was responding to a posted hands on video and comment about the Pentax K1.

so those guys holding up a 1/500th pic as proof, while loudly proclaiming at the same time that "this shutter slap in the k-1 is absolutely completely dampened", is a pretty big fail.
Has anyone, including yourself, posted links to comments from reliable sources (reviewers, owners, pros) of a mirror slap issue on the K1? This is a genuine question. Otherwise...pretty big fail.

On the other hand, if the links our out there, and I have seen them...pretty big fail for me

Cheers
Dean
05-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #101
Lens Buying Addict

Don't bother with this. DigitalRev is an interesting review site but sometimes makes ironic claims such as the precious mirror slap claim just to stir the pot.

No amount of telling these two it just isn't so will make them stop posting to this bogus thread because their purpose is to move the hits up so Google promotes this idea in K-1 searches. I suspect they're paid on a per post basis.

Just Ignore the thread.
05-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #102
osv
Pentaxian

Didn't watch because you already knew the result...makes things pretty easy if there is nothing new to learn?
i only knew because i've already learned it... you could learn it as well, if you'd read the links i post.

What speed were the guys in the Digitalrev video shooting at? Unknown, no data, no images, just conjecture.
it's not relevant, they were making general claims about feeling the vibration while shooting, which means that vibration will affect the images somewhere in the shutter range.

we know from the testing at dpr and other places what the problematic range of shutter speeds are, with other cameras, the k-1 isn't going to be much if any different.

i think that the biggest fail in this thread is with people refusing to learn how camera technology works.
05-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't bother with this. DigitalRev is an interesting review site but sometimes makes ironic claims such as the precious mirror slap claim just to stir the pot.
Funny how when I posted the link to the DigitalRev video it gets shot down as entertainment, not serious and worthless. Now all of a sudden it's a smoking gun, despite the many reviews that comment on how quiet the shutter/mirror is on the K-1.
05-21-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #104
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
it's not just about mirror vibration, and digitalrev isn't the only site making claims about k-1 vibration issues:

"Also includes a StdRes shot at f/9 for comparison to SuperRes at f/9, which by serendipity shows Pentax K1 shutter vibration problems. This confirms a serious image quality issue (at 77mm!) already discussed in Pentax K1 Shutter Shake Evaluated at 140mm, Siemens Target.

I am dumbfounded that Pentax would use an EFC shutter in the K1 for SuperRes mode, but not offer the feature in StdRes single-shot mode. Maybe a firmware update will fix it, and maybe not. It is stupefying in its juxtaposition to the ground-breaking sophistication of pixel shift technology. How is it even possible for one camera to combine such contradictory approaches to image sharpness?"
diglloyd: PENTAX SMCP-FA FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited Aperture Series: Mosaic (Pentax K1 SuperRes)
05-21-2016, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #105
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Funny how when I posted the link to the DigitalRev video it gets shot down as entertainment, not serious and worthless. Now all of a sudden it's a smoking gun, despite the many reviews that comment on how quiet the shutter/mirror is on the K-1.
DigitalRev does good videos and reviews but they often poke the defensiveness of Pentax users (which they are probably doing here); those who get the irony can laugh but the shallow viewer will believe it is an honest criticism, and active antagonists will claim it is.