Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I saw a lot of comments from Asian country about K-1's mirror slap issue that create quite blurry images. Does anyone have this issue at 1/125 with tripod?
"A lot"? Where can I see them, please?

05-03-2016, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think he's a FUD merchant. Boriscleto'd.
I hate to Boriscleto any user. I think I average about one per year and have already met my quota (sadly) for 2016. Two sentences of nasty sarcasm deleted. Edit: I just read another of the OP's recent posts and it seems...nah, not going to say it.

Y'all have a good day

Steve
05-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It works like a CHARM! love it more every day HAHA
05-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #19
CDW
Site Supporter

Reducing/eliminating mirror slap has been a hallmark of Pentax design, dating back to the Pentax 645 medium format film camera period. I'm not aware of any issue with mirror slap in any contemporary Pentax digital body. Shutter shake at certain shutter speeds is a different issue and has affected some models with most brands over the last few years. The OP comment is one that I would disregard.

05-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I think there is the potential for mirror slap degrading any image (slightly) from any high resolution camera if you look hard enough for it.
That is why there is mirror lock up If you are on a tripod, there is really no reason not to turn off SR and use mirror lock up.
05-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

There is a menu function allowing automatic SR desactivation when using selftimer or remote control : very practical.
05-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I saw a lot of comments from Asian country about K-1's mirror slap issue that create quite blurry images. Does anyone have this issue at 1/125 with tripod?
if you are on a tripod why not shoot with the mirror locked up? then all you'll have to deal with is shutter vibration.

if you want a 100% vibration-free shooting experience you'll have to spend $3.2k on the a7rii.

05-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #23
rlatjsrud

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????

If you can translate, they are some what fighting about mirror slap issue.
05-03-2016, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

Dare not speak ill about the holy grail, or even suspect there could be a problem.

This is not a side a like about this forum, hide all problems or else...

I don't know if there is a problem, but if there is, I want to know about it.
05-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
rlatjsrud

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ???? (It said that compare to D800, it has serious mirror slap.)
05-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Reducing/eliminating mirror slap has been a hallmark of Pentax design, dating back to the Pentax 645 medium format film camera period. I'm not aware of any issue with mirror slap in any contemporary Pentax digital body. Shutter shake at certain shutter speeds is a different issue and has affected some models with most brands over the last few years. The OP comment is one that I would disregard.
I hope you are kidding. The Pentax K-x was definitely prone to mirror slap issue. I had one and it was severely affected with shutter speeds near 1/100 of a second. I could get significantly sharper images when shooting at 1/30th or 1/60th of a second rather than 1/120th of a second. The shutter/mirror induced blur was so problematic on some images that some pictures couldn't even be considered "usable". There was some firmware update that somehow helped the problem I think, but honestly, I just avoided the problematic shutter speeds. The problem did not always occur, but it was definitely there. That's not to say the K-x wasn't a great camera. I was in love with it, it followed me everywhere and I even did some weddings with it. It was good enough to make me want to shoot Pentax forever - but I'm a little bit of a sentimentalist.

Oh crap - I think I misread (clearly did not read all of your post before replying, sorry) and I see now that you make a distinction between shutter shake at certain shutter speed and mirror slap issue. I'm not fully aware of the differences, but I better understand your comment about Pentax being very sensitive about their shutter mechanism. Their sound alone are praised amongst many, so I guess that tells something.
05-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Dare not speak ill about the holy grail, or even suspect there could be a problem. This is not a side a like about this forum, hide all problems or else...
Not so sure about that: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/319873-post-k-1-bugs-issue...ack-ricoh.html
05-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Ok, that was a good initiative.
05-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I suspect the original post at slrclub.com (last on your list) says more about the users technique than about the camera.* In the couple of months after the K-3 shipped, there was a rash of reports from experienced users disappointed that their K-3 results were no sharper than with their K-5, K-7, and so on. With great resolution comes greater demands on technique and the need to appreciate that a full resolution crop is much more telling at 36 megapickles than at 16 megapickles.

Steve

* If I understand the Google translation correctly, the OP suggests as much.
05-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
Oh crap - I think I misread (clearly did not read all of your post before replying, sorry) and I see now that you make a distinction between shutter shake at certain shutter speed and mirror slap issue.
Big difference between mirror slap (happens before the shutter opens, but resonates through the body afterward...mostly a problem on tripod) and shutter-induced vibration (leading curtain is not adequately dampened at end of travel...may be compounded by abrupt start of curtain travel as well). Noise is not a good indicator of either.

Steve