Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suspect the original post at slrclub.com (last on your list) says more about the users technique than about the camera.* In the couple of months after the K-3 shipped, there was a rash of reports from experienced users disappointed that their K-3 results were no sharper than with their K-5, K-7, and so on. With great resolution comes greater demands on technique and the need to appreciate that a full resolution crop is much more telling at 36 megapickles than at 16 megapickles.

Steve

* If I understand the Google translation correctly, the OP suggests as much.
I went through that transition with the K-3, stepping up from K10D and film cameras (+ K-01) was a learning curve.

05-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I saw a lot of comments from Asian country about K-1's mirror slap issue that create quite blurry images. Does anyone have this issue at 1/125 with tripod?
A lot of cameras have mirror slap issues. I don't think I've seen a Pentax with a vertical shutter that didn't have a bit of slap at certain speeds. If the K1 has problems at some speeds, there are ways around it.
05-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Although I know this is a troll thread, but ... it's worth noting that in the K-1 Pentax have built a new mirror design - the 'floating mirror structure' - that [see A in the diagram] alters the traditional swing of the mirror and reduces a lot of the direct impact shock of normal flappy DSLR mirrors:

Features4 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
05-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #34
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Although I know this is a troll thread, but ... it's worth noting that in the K-1 Pentax have built a new mirror design - the 'floating mirror structure' - that [see A in the diagram] alters the traditional swing of the mirror and reduces a lot of the direct impact shock of normal flappy DSLR mirrors:

How come this is a trolling huh?

05-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Lack of any credible proof, as expected from you.
05-03-2016, 10:23 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Instead of trying the best to get pictures with the gear, many prefer to dabble in 'theories' and make believe cameras.

I've seen this thru K7; K5; Kx; Q
Lots of grand theories about the camera failings for this and that, but odd I always got the pictures I wanted

One of the main problems here is that there will be folks willing to entertain the trolling and the chat goes on and on and it becomes a truism after a while.
Perhaps they are very bored too.

Ok; you guys win.
I just can't beat make believe cameras.
Time to go out and shoot with my new K1 more.
05-04-2016, 03:17 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Exactly.
Same for me.
These are the kind of polluting mirrorless marketing scories, that just contribute to general irrelevancy.

05-04-2016, 03:33 AM   #38
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Time to go out and shoot with my new K1
Yeah, I'd like to do this too.

Where can I find your k-1 later today?
05-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

That is very similar to the LX mirror design, IIRC. the LX didn't have a mirror slap problem, but that had as much to do with it being a horizontal run shutter (the shutter running in the same direction as the mirror magnifies mirror slap). By contrast, the Super Program was a mirror bounce monster, and I have experienced slap with every Pentax DSLR that I've owned. It's just a matter of figuring out what shutter speeds are affected and avoiding them, or by using mirror lock up.
It's not a big deal, and it certainly isn't worth getting your shorts in a knot over.
05-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
How come this is a trolling huh?
Why do you think someone would lead with that qualifier?
05-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #41

I noticed the blog/forum posts referred to in this thread have a Personal Opinion prefix on the subject line.
05-04-2016, 08:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

One thing that bothers me a lot about 'mirror slap' and 'shutter shock' claims in relation to any Pentax, not only the K-1, is the fact that Pentax sensors basically are not solidly fixed in the camera body. The sensor sort of floats in a magnetic field. It's not fixed in place, it's [except for a few wires] not touching anything. Hence there is simply way less scope for any internal vibrations or shocks to disturb the sensor.

In other cameras (eg Sony A7R, Nikon D800), when the shutter rattles or the mirror slaps, any internal vibration thus generated basically passes metal-to-metal (or metal to plastic) straight through to the sensor. But not in Pentax if the SR is active. SR provides a form of 'air gap' insulation for the sensor against internal slap and shock.

Last edited by rawr; 05-04-2016 at 08:23 AM.
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM   #43
Pentaxian

The sensor is "only" free to move up/down and left/right. Back and forth it's locked in place by steal ball bearings.

Also the fact that it is floating and held in place by magnetic force and the position is monitored and controlled by a computer running at a set frequency may cause the sensor to move more than it should when affected by an impulse from the outside. The stiffness of the system is up to the Pentax design team and not something we can guess from the outside.
05-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #44
Pentaxian

...but whom we can appreciate the potentially outstanding results.
05-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #45

Low speed pics.

Please anyone who received his K1 can post low speed photos between 1/4 to 1/60 th and see if SR is really effective!That the main reason because i orderer the K1 ! Tired of the D 800 E blur pics.