Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 07:12 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I saw a lot of comments from Asian country about K-1's mirror slap issue that create quite blurry images. Does anyone have this issue at 1/125 with tripod?
FWIW, I've concluded that there doesn't seem to be a mirror slap or shutter bounce problem with the K1. YMMV.

05-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #77
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, I've concluded that there doesn't seem to be a mirror slap or shutter bounce problem with the K1. YMMV.
Still, People feel it.

They mentioned it.
05-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll take wheatfield's feeling as conclusive.
05-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #79
Veteran Member

They mentioned it.
Where is Kai?
The two DRTV guys in the video are boring.

Of course you feel shutter activity in the camera, but compared to any other FF I've tried, I'd hardly call it an intrusive slap or bounce. K-1 feels much like K-3, in fact.

For precision work, naturally you'd use a solid tripod, MUP and a remote, just like any camera.

05-20-2016, 03:03 AM   #80
Pentaxian

"Any camera" is not "any geeks' wish"
05-20-2016, 05:46 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Still, People feel it.

Pentax K-1 Hands-on First Impression - YouTube

They mentioned it.
And other people don't feel it...

And they mention it too...at the 4:42 mark

And these people where shooting the camera, in the field, real life shooting, then reviewing images...I know who I'm more likely to believe.

I enjoy Digitalrev and TCS both, but for different reasons

Cheers
Dean
05-20-2016, 05:49 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
"Any camera" is not "any geeks' wish"
I know. But I remember that even with my film Ricoh XR2S [30 years ago], I had to worry about shutter vibration for long exposures, even when I was using a cable release and the camera was mounted on my heavy old Velbon tripod.

Now that I mention it, compared to any of my old film SLR's (Pentax MX, Ricoh XR2S), the K-1 shutter is very soft. Stand the K-1 (or K-3/K-5) in a pool of water, set the self-timer, and it would hardly make a ripple.

Now there is an idea for a YouTube video

05-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #83
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
And they mention it too...at the 4:42 mark

And these people where shooting the camera, in the field, real life shooting, then reviewing images...
reviewing images where? it would be difficult to see vibration artifacting in a k-1 photo, in the field, in a washed-out low-rez lcd.

canon redesigned the 5dsr shutter, it did not eliminate shutter shock/mirror vibration entirely:
"Canon's IS system on lenses helps reduce the impact of vibrations, not exacerbate it as Nikon's VR systems do... To verify that our tripod-based tests correlate with real-world hand-held results, we shot a variety of shutter speeds hand-held, and correlated the results back to our tripod-based results. On the whole, the story was exactly the same, with 1/60s being the most problematic in typical hand-held shooting. "
In Fine Detail: Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

if neither canon nor nikon can eliminate vibration in a dslr, why think that pentax can do it? that's not logical.

05-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #84
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
reviewing images where? it would be difficult to see vibration artifacting in a k-1 photo, in the field, in a washed-out low-rez lcd.

canon redesigned the 5dsr shutter, it did not eliminate shutter shock/mirror vibration entirely:
"Canon's IS system on lenses helps reduce the impact of vibrations, not exacerbate it as Nikon's VR systems do... To verify that our tripod-based tests correlate with real-world hand-held results, we shot a variety of shutter speeds hand-held, and correlated the results back to our tripod-based results. On the whole, the story was exactly the same, with 1/60s being the most problematic in typical hand-held shooting. "
In Fine Detail: Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

if neither canon nor nikon can eliminate vibration in a dslr, why think that pentax can do it? that's not logical.

Canon motor-driven mirror mechanism - YouTube
I mean they felt the vibration directly from the body. So they talked that mirror lockup would be necessary. Even the sound is quite but the vibration is strong.
05-20-2016, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mean they felt the vibration directly from the body. So they talked that mirror lockup would be necessary. Even the sound is quite but the vibration is strong.
Dude. It isn't. I have the camera in my hands. Do you?

Stop beating the horse.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-20-2016 at 12:27 PM.
05-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Stop beating the horse.
I agree. There's no issue.
05-20-2016, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #87
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-1 is a dslr, so no question that it has shutter/mirror vibration, it's just a matter of how much and at what shutter speeds.

if you won't want any vibration at all, the only alternative is an a7rii at $3200... that's a lot of $$$, if you can handle shooting with an ovf, k-1 looks like a bargain.
05-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
OK, you don't have to watch the video if you don't want to...but, if you are going to argue against it maybe you should. Literally 14 seconds after the time I quoted (so at 4:56) they show a zooming cropped image of the photo discussed...clearly they are not just making an opinion from viewing the rear monitor.

I'm not a camera expert or a pro, I don't claim that DSLRs have no mirror slap, and I sure as hell don't care what Canon have done in their 50mp FF with the mirror, shutter or anything else to be honest.

The OP expresses a concern about mirror slap on the K1...he then posts a Digitalrev video where during a short hands on session (with no images shown) they comment that they think it feels like there might be mirror slap...I then posted a rebuttal where the TCS video clearly states no concern on mirror slap in real world testing, from a day of shooting by an experienced reviewer and a working pro, with studio reviewed images included in the video...you choose not to watch even 14 seconds of the video I posted and then comment, making assumptions about the video and the reviewers comments and review process...that is all.

Cheers
Dean
05-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #89
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Stop beating the horse.
Hey, I do have my own now. It is shame that K-1 does not have less vib mode like 5d mark 3 have.
05-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Hey, I do have my own now. It is shame that K-1 does not have less vib mode like 5d mark 3 have.
I wonder if EFCS can be implemented with a firmware update?

Last edited by HopelessTogger; 05-21-2016 at 02:36 AM.