Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
..but it has something to do with whether a lens are optimized for portraits or not. Mine is sharp corned to corner.
On your K-1 or A7? What full frame are you testing it on?

05-07-2016, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

All right, I've taken the new ISO100 RAW from DPReview, opened it in Silkypix, default sharpening applied (DPReview is applying sharpening, and quite inconsistently I'd say). This is the result, crop from the upper right corner. Without Pixel Shift Resolution.
Attached Images

05-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
btnapa, you compared two different focal lengths from the same position, or moved back with the Tamron at 200 to preserve the framing? Neither is apples-apples.

I owned a perfect copy of the Tamron 70-200, and my 77 was sharper than the Tamron at 77mm through the entire shared aperture range (f/2.8+) I think I had a thread here where I compared my new tamron to a couple primes at those focal lengths, and the 77, M85 f/2, the Sigma 70 and another were sharper, but the Tamron beat all my Taks and other zooms.

I don't live in a world where an in-spec 77 is not 'good enough' for high-MP FF

It's going to resolve more and better than it ever has before, outside of maybe on the K3. Pixel peeping 36MP is going to show you things you never saw before, but you don't print or display 100% crops of test charts. The 77 (and 43, and 31) are great FF lenses even at 36MP, as long as they're not faulty and your AF is on-target.

jsherman999,

You are right. The FA77 is a stunning lens along with my FA31 and FA43. In this one instance the 70-200 looked better. Yes I did back away from the subject for the 200mm shot with the Tamron and made sure the frames matched as much as possible. The reason I did the test shots was to test my zoom on the K1 in the first place. Since I had the FA77 there too, I decided to do the quick comparison. As I mentioned in the post this is not scientific or conclusive by any means. And the reason for 200 vs. 70 on the Tamron was to test the zoom at its weakest point which is usually the long end. That holds true for most zoom lenses. I also shot the FA 31 a day earlier and the results are spectacular. I am absolutely blown away by the K1 and the few full frame lenses I have. I love my K3 and my K5IIs but the K1 is in a different class for sure. I wanted more detail in my shots and the K1 delivers with delivers big.

In addition, my Three Amigos do not exhibit as much CA on K1 as they do on my K3. I did try the lens correction on and off on the K1. I did not see much difference. I guess by default and perhaps because of the sensor, CA seems to be less pronounced on K1.

All I can say is that the wait for the K1 was well worth it.
05-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
All right, I've taken the new ISO100 RAW from DPReview, opened it in Silkypix, default sharpening applied (DPReview is applying sharpening, and quite inconsistently I'd say). This is the result, crop from the upper right corner. Without Pixel Shift Resolution.
Is that the PEF file? Take a look at the lower left corner - not very sharp. I'm using DCU 5.5.1 to look at it. Turning Pixel Shift on and off is an eye-opener.

05-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Hmm... the lower left corner seems to be softer in the non-PSR image as well. Maybe, a camera alignment issue? (since it happened in the first images, too, and those were taken with a different lens)
As for a lens announced in 1999 not being "very sharp" in the extreme corner, in what corresponds to a 2m-wide print, I'm not exactly concerned about that

(Still, Pentax needs more modern primes... they know that as well and planned some for 2017).
05-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #36
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The edge softness is the problem with a resolution test like this. The 77mm is very sharp in the center like all good portrait lens, but the edges on a FF are not really good enough to take advantage of the resolution of pixel shift. 35mm film doesn't have anything close to the resolving power of a 39MP sensor using pixel shift. The 77mm lens is a great lens, but not for a pure edge to edge resolution test.
that's true to some extent... if you look at the old takinami lens tests, the fa77 has to be stopped way down to f/11 before it's sharp on the sides, and only then does it finally deliver, slightly better than anything else that he tested. http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_tele.html

i couldn't find any mention of what aperture dpr used to shoot the studio scene test photos??

the concept of shooting mis-matched lenses on different bodies and calling it a "pixel-shift comparison" is misleading, the comments proved that it confused most people who read it... the test should have been one lens on a7r vs. a7rii vs. k-1(both with/without pixel-shift), and it should have included imatesting.