Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 12:13 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Funny Experience in Korea

Today has been cold and wet and just downright soggy here in Seoul. So basically I decided to come to the IPark mall to see if I could take a look at the K1.

So far no such luck, but I had a somewhat funny experience.

The vendors here are pretty straight forward. They will flag you down and ask what you want. So naturally I asked for a Pentax K1.

The vendor got visibly rattled and was somewhat upset. He then went on a little rant in broken English. "Why you want Pentax!? Everywhere in the world has Nikon and Canon!" (while showing me a giant display)

Then he let it slip.."I don't know why everyone keeps asking for Pentax!"

Apparently he has been asked one too many times about Pentax. He wasn't happy about it at all.

Anyway I still haven't seen anyone carrying Pentax... Just a few used models around... But based on what I saw today the buzz about the K1 is already causing waves.

05-06-2016, 03:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
"Why you want Pentax!? Everywhere in the world has Nikon and Canon!"
Not everyone, sir. Not yet. *evil grin*

Shiver in your shoes, Canikon!
05-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Prepare for the wave of 'fully manual' K-mount lenses that are sure to hit the used market soon, as Canon shooters
try to replace the modded copies they've taken liberty with for all these years.
05-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
the modded copies they've taken liberty with for all these years.
Think of them as Takumars with SMC coatings and it doesn't sound so bad.

05-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Prepare for the wave of 'fully manual' K-mount lenses that are sure to hit the used market soon, as Canon shooters
try to replace the modded copies they've taken liberty with for all these years.
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Think of them as Takumars with SMC coatings and it doesn't sound so bad.
I have a eunuch K35/2. At first it really made me angry, but now open aperture focusing and stop-down metering is kind of fun. Nice lens, too.
05-06-2016, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The vendor probably thinks that anyone who would buy a K-1 is planning on using those millions of old lenses from the film era. So, he thinks he won't be able to sell new lenses to the purchaser of a K-1. After all, the lenses are where the real money is, right?
05-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
The vendor probably thinks that anyone who would buy a K-1 is planning on using those millions of old lenses from the film era. So, he thinks he won't be able to sell new lenses to the purchaser of a K-1. After all, the lenses are where the real money is, right?
I am pretty sure this is the case. It takes a fat bite out of his wallet. All of his money is tied up with canikon stuff so any mention of Pentax...
05-06-2016, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I imagine it's even more simple than that. The vendor came to learn a LONG time ago that Canon and Nikon sell,
other brands do not. So the vendor has for some time ordered and reordered Canikon to stock his booth, and it's
never failed him. Now >something< has changed, (he said he doesn't know 'why' people are asking for Pentax),
and he feels left holding the bag and is in a bit of panic.

05-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Believe it or not I hear people complain about Pentax not being in retail outlets... but to me I think they have the right idea in staying out of the way of people like that guy. Pentax offers one heck of a good camera in the K1 and while I cannot speak to any hands on experience it also has a huge price benefit when compared to others. The end result is Pentax makes money while we still get stellar cameras at much cheaper prices.

The future in my opinion is totally on online sales... the present is online sales... but the future is even more... at least for what is increasingly specialized gear.

Every time they pass the cookie jar down the line for someone else to take their cut the prices you and I pay go up. It's as simple as that.

Basically Pentax (Ricoh) just needs to keep on churning out great gear. It's as simple as that. Build it and they will come. I just hope that Pentax does not stay in the habit of outsourcing lenses to other people. FA Limiteds... we need more of them.

I also think another very interesting thing that they could explore would be a dedicated video camera that uses K mount lenses. I don't know if they should even try to do the jack of all trades thing where one camera is a picture camera and a video camera all in one... just have a straight up video camera that uses K mount, thus separating the two functions... Could be interesting.
05-06-2016, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #10

The vendor got visibly rattled and was somewhat upset. He then went on a little rant in broken English. "Why you want Pentax!? Everywhere in the world has Nikon and Canon!" (while showing me a giant display)

Apparently he has been asked one too many times about Pentax. He wasn't happy about it at all.

I have a response to people like this guy in Korea, but it cannot be posted here. This is a family oriented forum, after all.

Pentax is king.

Long live Pentax.
05-06-2016, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have a response to people like this guy in Korea, but it cannot be posted here.
Reminds me of a line from this book, which went something like:

"Skellen then invited Riley to do something which would have got him arrested had he attempted it on the street."
05-06-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have a response to people like this guy in Korea, but it cannot be posted here. This is a family oriented forum, after all.

Pentax is king.

Long live Pentax.
I am even a live and let live kind of a guy... but apparently he's not.
05-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
but apparently he's not.
So you were lucky to get out the store in piece then.
05-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Today has been cold and wet and just downright soggy here in Seoul. So basically I decided to come to the IPark mall to see if I could take a look at the K1.

So far no such luck, but I had a somewhat funny experience.

The vendors here are pretty straight forward. They will flag you down and ask what you want. So naturally I asked for a Pentax K1.

Anyway I still haven't seen anyone carrying Pentax... Just a few used models around... But based on what I saw today the buzz about the K1 is already causing waves.
If he were really entrepreneurial he would know how to take advantage of those 'everyone'!