Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peak Design Slide for me. Love it.

05-11-2016, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm just going to super glue the grip to the palm of my hand.

Actually, I have one of these from back when MyFunkyCamera was still in business.

It's great, comfy, and people don't bug me when I'm taking photos.
05-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Domke Gripper straps are simple but effective and comfortable. The gripper aspect really holds the strap in place around your neck without it sliding.

The Artisan & Artist brand of straps look really excellent too.
05-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruvy Quote
On my XPRO 1 I am using peak design capture pro clip and find it very useful attached to my pants or backpack belts. Hope it will be useful on the twice as heavy K1.
You'll have to let me know how you like it with the bigger camera!

It looks like the Peak Design Slide is a winner here for sure! Now to find a good way to integrate it with a dual camera setup for weddings...

05-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've been successfully using my K-1 for 12 days with a Peak Design Cuff.

However, I don't keep the Cuff on my wrist and attach/detach it to the Anchor on the camera. I keep the Cuff on the Anchor on the camera all the time, and slip my right hand into and out of it.

(This is a change from how I used to use Peak Design Cuff on my K-3II. But I'll handle the K-3II in the new way in future).

I have very bony shoulders, and don't like neck or shoulder straps.
05-12-2016, 12:09 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Here are some of my favorite camera shops if you're interested in browsing for a new strap:

Souldier - Custom Straps Handmade in Chicago
Best & Cool Canon Camera Straps, Handmade for DSLR Cameras - PhatStraps
http://www.shopmimigreen.com/custom-designer-slr-camera-straps
https://www.rileygdesignworks.com/custom-straps/

And, of course:
https://www.etsy.com/

Shameless plug: here's my Etsy store for camera straps:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/20CameraStraps
05-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm using a Lucky Straps 53 classic brown long length. Hand made 100% nubuck leather glued and stitched back to back, 53mm wide, 105cm long main body and 170cm total length. I had been looking for a strap that sits comfortably across my body that still conected in the strap lugs and not the tripod mount for ages. This was given to me as a Birthday gift by my Mother just over a month ago and looked so nice I didn't use it then but instead kept it for my K1. It's even nicer in use than it looked, the leather is so soft and comfortable and the wide strap makes the extra weight of the K1 seem insignificant. It has one added bonus, the leather smells ohh so good. Well done Mum.

Glenn
05-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #23

I modified the baseplate of this cheapo ebay hand strap to fit the handstrap from my PZ1. Cut the slot wider for the strap, and chopped off the plastic bit that is supposed to rest around the edge of the body to prevent it rotating out of place, since the design does not suit the dimensions of a K-1 body.

It has an understated Pentax logo, and is very comfy.

05-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh I forgot, that when I do reportage or so I have the Fotospeed Strap F4 which I really like.
Its basically this on here, except that my camera is wayyyy cooler

the strap under the arm is additional for not rotating the complete strap as my older strap did (really convenient).
Best part: the little connector thing under the camera is a fully ARCA Swiss compatible "mini-plate" which is awesome!
At the side of the camera you see a small emergency strap for making the whole thing one step safer.
05-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My fave is the Joby Ultrafit.

It has a slide that is similar to the Peak Design in some ways. But it's only one side (hence only one fixture to operate), but still seems to have as much lengthening and shortening as the Peak. I like Peak Design's little loop attachment dongles, but I MUCH prefer the swiveling tripod attachment of the Joby. It allows the camera to swivel 360 endlessly. And it's the most secure attachment point on the camera. The Peak Design I tried did some leverage on the plate it was looped through, which I didn't like. A plate with a flange would probably prevent that, but still. I like the 360 swivel cuz it means the camera never binds up on the strap.

It's comfortable and affordable too, and they have a quick plate Arca style if you wanna use it with a handstrap they make. I use it with an L bracket mounted to the camera semi permanently since the bracket has tripod threading for the Ultrafit to attach to.
05-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I have heard great things about the Joby, too, and I'm sure it's a great choice for some. But what I like about the PD Slide is it has two attachment places, instead of one. It's designed not to flop around on your hip/waist/back. I can't stand that feeling. The camera stays in place with the Slide and doesn't bounce around nearly as much.
05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I modified the baseplate of this cheapo ebay hand strap to fit the handstrap from my PZ1. Cut the slot wider for the strap, and chopped off the plastic bit that is supposed to rest around the edge of the body to prevent it rotating out of place, since the design does not suit the dimensions of a K-1 body.

It has an understated Pentax logo, and is very comfy.
Is that the NIB stereo accessory that hung around eBay for months - until recently?
05-13-2016, 04:33 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I have heard great things about the Joby, too, and I'm sure it's a great choice for some. But what I like about the PD Slide is it has two attachment places, instead of one. It's designed not to flop around on your hip/waist/back. I can't stand that feeling. The camera stays in place with the Slide and doesn't bounce around nearly as much.
With both straps I got movement, especially any time you'd lean forward, and the camera would come off your side. The Peak would twist up because of the two attachments and I'd have to unwind it; the ultrafit would rotate without binding. The Peak can be used with only one attachment but it would still twist up. I'd say try whatever you can in a store in different positions.
05-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I quite fancy the Eddycams..... but I don't use a neck strap.

Elk-leather camera strap - EDDYCAM: Quality made of real leather

---------- Post added 14-05-16 at 09:32 AM ----------

So I went with.... a wrist strap and Sling set up (Black Rapid Curve)

K-1 and K50/1.2.jpg
by Noel Leahy, on Flickr
Attached Images

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.
05-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
With both straps I got movement, especially any time you'd lean forward, and the camera would come off your side. The Peak would twist up because of the two attachments and I'd have to unwind it; the ultrafit would rotate without binding. The Peak can be used with only one attachment but it would still twist up. I'd say try whatever you can in a store in different positions.
Hmm. Never had the PD twist. Can't imagine how it would. [shrug]