Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Camera Strap You'll Use For K-1?

Hi all!

With the new Pentax FF out now, what camera strap have/will you put on your new K-1s?

On my previous bodies I've used OP/Tech straps and have been happy with them for a $20 strap, but I'm hoping to step it up a notch for the FF. The OP/Tech are comfortable, with the wider neck area, and have been reliable with my current cameras. I don't have any reason to not trust them with the K-1, but for events/shooting in public, a more subtle strap (one without the text on it) would be nice. Just curious what all you have found to work well for you, or solutions you're looking into!

Also interested in good two-body setups that are out there (with weddings in mind/wearing a suit or other formal wear). I've looked with interest at the Spider Pro holster, but it sounds like another Pentaxian had it damage a lens with the K-1+Grip, due to hanging at an angle from the grip. Hold-Fast's "Moneymaker" seems to be unrivaled in performance as a dual-camera harness, but the one for heavier cameras is in the $300 range. I've looked for alternatives, but none have been praised as anywhere near as good, that I've seen.

Thanks, and happy shooting!

05-09-2016, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have a Cotton Carrier hand strap on my K-1 now; no grip, and its pretty excellent. Better than 'normal' wrist strap types for fast use. I skipped the provided nut and used a lay-flat D-ring thing for Black Rapids.

For weddings/events I use the dual Black Rapid rig under my dress jacket. It's not quite perfect for meandering between empty wooden pews with a 70-200 during the ceremony - that makes a pretty distracting 'THUNK' if your attention is lost. But I don't doubt that it'll hold the weight safely. And I keep my jacket pockets empty so I don't fight the straps.
05-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will be using the op/tech. Already am in fact.
05-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

None.

I took the strap off my K3 when I purchased a rather heavy lens that requires a monopod at all times when in use.

Then I went on a couple landscape hikes where a camera dangling around my neck was NOT an option.

Got used to going strapless. The strap just gets in the way now.

Decided camera will either be in my backpack or on a mono/tripod at all times going forward.

05-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my current DSLR I use the Custom SLR Glide One. I would think both of those will be fine with the K-1. I hope to find out 7 weeks or so from now. I also have their hand strap which also works well.
05-09-2016, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using the Peak Design Slide, it's terrific.
05-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #7

On my XPRO 1 I am using peak design capture pro clip and find it very useful attached to my pants or backpack belts. Hope it will be useful on the twice as heavy K1.

05-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the Peak Design Slide.
05-10-2016, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
Camera Strap You'll Use For K-1?
Just transferred my original LX straps across from K20Ds... they're black, long, thin and no logos which suit me just fine.
05-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know what you mean. Can't abide massive logos on straps. Tacky and tasteless IMO. Anyway who needs to advertise?
05-10-2016, 02:06 AM   #11
edo
Forum Member

I use leicatime strap for the leica m bodies on my k1 and I like the low profile look to it.

But I want to buy their Genius strap as it is larger with a larger neck pad and strap width in order to reassure me as the k1 is quite heavy.
05-10-2016, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

please post some photos

My voice for now is the JJC cheap neopren strap
(I have the cam in Hand and use this strap as a emergency fall safety thingy)

I am highly anticipating this thread and the alternatives and choices of you guys!!!
05-10-2016, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #13
edo
Forum Member

They also have handstrap.

I love that its old school and soft leather. I believe it's goat skin.

---------- Post added 05-10-16 at 12:38 PM ----------

Last edited by edo; 05-10-2016 at 03:40 AM.
05-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of the awesome answers! It's great how there is no one perfect choice, yet so many valid preferences!

While a neck strap isn't my favorite thing in the world at home, when going for walks with a wife and baby, it's pretty much a necessity to be able to "drop" the camera at any given time for me. It'd be nice to go strapless and have a holster of sorts, and that's where the Spider Pro would be a potential solution... It's too expensive imho to just "try out" and not being a good fit for gripped cameras is a hit against it for me. I think the BlackRapid straps look like a good wedding/event solution to start with, and those old-school leather ones look pretty amazing for every-day use! :-)
05-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hand strap for me. I've been using the Pentax brand hand strap, first on my K-5 since it was nearly new and now on my K-3. For me, neck straps are a "pain in the neck" both literally and figuratively. They are a pain to stuff into a camera bag and take up a lot of precious bag volume. I'll be looking closely at the Peak Design and similar versions that either integrate a tripod mount into the design or don't use the camera's bottom thread at all, leaving it free for a tripod mount plate.
Daryl