Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
I was at a K1 launch event and the rep confirmed that the sensor is the same as D800 with Pentax special implementation.

jonlg
I've heard that the D810 is the same sensor as D800 with Nikon special implementation.......... I'm just fooling around with words....

05-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When it comes to "special implementation" on an image sensor it's often different specification on FI low pass filter, IR filter and coating, but with the same image chip.
05-12-2016, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already mentioned that earlier. The sensor is not just thrown into the camera blindly. Each camera brand will order a certain batch of sensors, and if they order thousands, they can already tell the sensor manufacturer to make a small change. Next, the camera brand itself will tweak the sensor. The 16MP Sony sensor is a great example of this, as it has been used in so many cameras with slightly different performance, different AA filter, different SR implementation, different bit depth recording, and so on. The Pentax K-5IIs squeezed the most out of it.
Nikon definitely did their own tweaks for the D800 series already - just the fact that it was made available as D800 and D800E already demonstrates this.

But no, we do not know definitely every difference between these sensors. I remember some users tried peeling off the AA filter on the K-5, and it simply did not work right after that. This shows that even just removing AA filter takes some more work than removing one layer.
We don't know the full details because it is very important to the brand manufacturer to keep this hidden from competition. And most users only care about MP number, maybe bit depth and dynamic range. Beyond that, they wouldn't know.

Is the sensor in the K-1 exactly the same as the one in D800E? No. Is it from the same manufacturer, the same sensor lineage? Yes. Will its performance be different from A7r and D800? Yes. Will this difference be HUGE?? No. Probably won't even be noticeable in 99.9% of the photos. Lens and technique will make a bigger difference.
05-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, thankfully.

The Pentax implementation is better.