Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing screens

I would be interested to know just how different the old LX focusing screens are from the K-1 and whether or not they are compatible ..... reverse question, perhaps someone can try an LX screen in a K-1 and report back.

Curious as I have a few LX screens and it would be really cool if they could be used.

05-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #2

It is reported that the screen is fixed and what looks like a clip in the photos is the LED mechanism for illuminating the grid on the overlay.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/314662-interchangea...screens-2.html

Although it is still in dispute if the part is a clip or part of the LED.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314742-fixed-focusing-screen.html

The viewfinder for the K-1 is "near 100%". If the LX viewfinder is the typical 95% then I would expect the LX screen to be smaller. A moot point if the screen is indeed fixed. If the K-1 screen can be easily changed by the user it may actually be a lens instead of merely "ground glass" - after all the image projected on the screen would have to appear on the same plane as the grid on the LCD in order for both of the grid and projected image to appear in focus. I suppose a lens could be incorporated on the LCD.
05-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mark - there is another thread discussing the fixed focusing screen of the K-1 which might be of interest to you: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314742-fixed-focusing-screen.html
05-12-2016, 12:33 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I would be interested to know just how different the old LX focusing screens are from the K-1 and whether or not they are compatible ..... reverse question, perhaps someone can try an LX screen in a K-1 and report back.

Curious as I have a few LX screens and it would be really cool if they could be used.

Pentax say in the manual they regard the screen as not replaceable. There is an overlay.

05-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks guys - so LX screens are a no go. All good.