Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
If you expected better IQ compared to APS-C, then K-1 is able to provide it.
Specifically as compared to the K-3/K-3II and even more so for other models. Higher total resolution and lower noise translates to greater capacity for detail capture. It is simple as that. Does that make my K-3 smell bad? (...runs into other room to check...) No, not today, though it may in a week or two.

Steve

05-14-2016, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Specifically as compared to the K-3/K-3II and even more so for other models. Higher total resolution and lower noise translates to greater capacity for detail capture. It is simple as that. Does that make my K-3 smell bad? (...runs into other room to check...) No, not today, though it may in a week or two.

Steve
It only matters if you can see it, on your screen (without pixel peeping) , or in your prints.
05-14-2016, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
My interest in photography temporarily died when I stupidly bought into the mirrorless craze
I'm really glad I havent gone down that road. I looked around a bit but decided my K-3 and the nice assortment of lenses I currently own are just fine and more importantly better than any mirrorless camera out there.
05-14-2016, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

I have K-7, K-3 and now fresh K-1. And when I compare them... in the end it's all about the noise.

I don't plan to get rid of either K-7 or K-3. But for low-light conditions or high-contrast conditions (without HDR or exposition bracketing), K-1 will be my favourite from now on.

05-14-2016, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I'm really glad I havent gone down that road. I looked around a bit but decided my K-3 and the nice assortment of lenses I currently own are just fine and more importantly better than any mirrorless camera out there.
I'm chuffed to bits for you!

I was bored one day at work and ordered the A7r and the Novoflex adapter. I got the A7r half price, new, mind so it didn't hurt too bad. Then I got the Rayqual adapter, cos' of the internal baffles, a baffling decision in hindsight.

Even more baffling was my continued deranged path towards madness. I bought the FE 1.8/55, cos' it was way sharp! But I still hated this stuff. What was it Einstein once said? Yeah, that's right "HopelessTogger is an idiot". Then the FE 4/70-200 G OSS. Then the Sony "Zeiss" FE 1.4/35 ZA (£Ouch!). Then the Sony 2/28 (mental distortion!). Then, cos' the A7r was so ghastly I picked up an A6000, which in fairness is a great little camera but could lose the AA-filter for starters.

Anyway, it's all boxed up now, ready for its next owner who . . . has agreed to swap it all for a new D-FA 2.8/15-30 and D-FA* 2.8/70-200. So, all is not lost!

I shall never again stray from Pentax.
05-14-2016, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
has agreed to swap it all for a new D-FA 2.8/15-30 and D-FA* 2.8/70-200. So, all is not lost!
!!! Great SCOTT!! What a trade!
05-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
!!! Great SCOTT!! What a trade!
I know. Those two lenses come to £3348 plus delivery here in the UK.

05-14-2016, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Even though most likely this is a trolling post, i will give an honest answer.

A couple things...the proportion between mediocre photogs and great photogs is probably consistent between all brands. Plus pentax has a tiny marketshare...plus full frame users is an even smaller share of total users. Add the fact the the K-1 is so new, of course there is going to be a miniscule number of truly great samples.
05-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Even though most likely this is a trolling post, i will give an honest answer.
Well, it is not a troll. I'm genuinely interested in finding out whether the K-1 would let me do things that I can't do with my K-5ii/K-7 while snapping the same sort of stuff.

Many of the trimmings - Wi-Fi, GPS, LCD viewfinder, pixel shift, more pixels, twiddly LCD display, LED lights etc. do not really interest me. Low noise at high ISO would be nice to have, but from what I've seen posted so far the K-1 is good but not that good in real life.

Is there any killer feature, picturewise, that the K-1 has or can do that APS-C can't ? Show me ...
05-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

SO far I'd say the killer features is low light performance and high ISO performance. The clean 6400 ISO images should give you great results on freeze action type images. I frequently top out a about 1/1000 of a second for birds... pushing that to 1/2000s is huge in terms of lack of motion blur and total number of keepers, as it would be for any type of action shooting. But I can't show you cause I don't have a K-1, well except for the 6400 ISO shot I linked to above.
05-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All the shots of milky way will look a lot better on the k-1. APS-C sensor is really pushing it, even with an F2.8 lens.
05-14-2016, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 33 photos that pop up as taken with the K-1 in a flickr search (all taken with my K-7) :-)

However, here are some flickr-groups for the K-1:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2971159@N22/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentaxk-1/
https://www.flickr.com/groups/2919629@N24/

Regards
05-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well Hell... it's been out what, two weeks already? I suspect many of us are still learning the new system and we haven't yet begun to stretch the new camera's legs.
05-14-2016, 11:57 AM - 4 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just replying to the original post with more of what has already been said, but in my opinion it was most definitely worth it. As a mediocre unprofessional hobbyist, I have the luxury of taking pictures simply for the fun of it and the K1 is simply the funnest camera I have ever shot with by far. I planned to keep my K3 as a backup and for any time I think faster frame rate or reach is needed. Still keeping the K3, but don't know if I will actually ever bring myself to pack it, because the K1 is significantly better and more desirable for me in all other aspects of the game.

So far I've had very little time/opportunity to do my favorite genre of shooting (landscape) but even so I'm definitely getting shots I wouldn't have obtained as well with the K3. I'll demo with this example; one of my first shots after pulling the K1 out of box a week ago Friday, and it was the first shot taken with FA31... I didn't choose this one because it's special from a technical standpoint, but because it reminds me so well of my first experience impression of the camera... I put the FA31 on, lifted up the camera and shot, without even really thinking about it, and I got this, in relatively low light (F1.8, 1/20s, ISO200). I did play with it a little in post, but to me the IQ improvement is recognizable. The focus is much closer than I would have obtained that easily with the K3 in this circumstance... The whole experience is just... satisfying. Ahhh!!!

05-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

And the comparison K-3 image?