05-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice Vintage!

05-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a technical difficulty in literally showing the difference a K-1 might make to your photography, simply because direct equivalent lenses for the two formats are few and far between, if not non-existent (depending on how tolerant you are of small differences in equivalent focal lengths and apertures). Then, of course, there's the matter of shooting comparable images in other than tightly-controlled circumstances, such as in a studio or with a lightbox.

That aside, I was shooting with my K-5 and the DA18-135 indoors in reasonable lighting a couple of days ago, and the dull, patchy viewfinder image reminded me of the reason why I've wanted a 35FF camera for a while now, and why I've amassed a reasonable collection of older, faster 35mm film camera lenses in the process (let's not get diverted by arguments about optical versus electronic viewfinders, here, please). There's a general point to be made about the equipment making it easy for you (some would style it as "inviting you") to take photos - if you're in a more conducive frame of mind, as a result of being able to work better with one set of equipment than another, then you're more likely to do a better job of it. It's the reason why the field of ergonomics has gained such prominence in product and system design, even workplace design.

So, this isn't a direct answer to the original question, but I'm suggesting it's an incomplete or maybe even the wrong question to be asking, if you're wondering about whether or not to invest. My eyesight is telling me the answer, even without the other aspects of dynamic range or flexibility. My joints and muscles have a counter-argument, of course, but that's just telling me to be careful about what I attach to the body, or carry in my bag.
05-16-2016, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #78

Best Mega Pixel Full frame

The SR feature is the revolution in DSLR,i can take pictures that where impossible with my D 800 E !!!!!
05-16-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #79

Photos: Albums
I took k1 and Pentax 70 200 to my son's school orchestra concert, and I was blown away. All the sudden, I'm getting these more than useful 1600-3200 ISO shots that were impossible with my k3. Noise cleans up really nice in lightroom. I would say k1 SR is significantly improved from k3. It's worth every penny. K1 and dfa 70 200 is perfect combination.

05-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjyoon20904 Quote
It's worth every penny.

We converted to decimal currency here in Orstralia in 1966, so i'll say its worth every cent.However, i'll also say its worth more!

FF and APS-C all in one, a lens range going back 40years as well as the screw mounts of the previous era.300k shots.@ a price that beats any equivalent 36+mp.

Its early days but the excitement is still building.
05-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
At 15 min he tells us that the future in photography is for mobile phone! Why did that took so long if he knew this already in 2004?
I missed that... what an amazing thing to say back then! I don't think I got my first iPhone until late in 2007, might have been 2008. And the camera was crap, although fun. So it wasn't like there were apps or anything like that driving it. Funny for him to say.
05-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
OK, now that you've all got your shiny K-1 - any real life pictures shot with it that couldn't have been taken with a crop frame Pentax DSLR ?
Certainly none that I couldn't have also taken with an iPhone 6, yo.

05-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have to ask, who is totally happy with any piece of equipment. Even a K-1. I keep hearing "It's heavy."
The weight is why I sold my Nikon D750. Amazing camera but I just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it when I could sell it now for not much of a loss compared to if I waited.

Hence I am hesitant to get a K-1 even though I am sure it is a great camera. Heck I don't usually want to haul around my K-5 now and it is smaller than a K-1. I went the other way and got a Micro 4/3 camera instead.

Maybe I will get a K-1 when the price drops in a couple of years.

Last edited by Mr Bassie; 05-17-2016 at 06:23 AM. Reason: typo
05-17-2016, 06:02 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
The weight is why I sold my Nikon D750. Amazing camera but I just wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it when I could sell it now for not much of a loss compared to if I waited.

Hence I am hesitant to get a K-1 even though I am sure it is a great camera. Heck I don't usually want to haul around my K-5 now and it is smaller than a K01. I went the other way and got a Micro 4/3 camera instead.

Maybe I will get a K-1 when the price drops in a couple of years.
It's been suggested that the K-1 may represent a new pricing strategy, with not as much price drop over time.
05-17-2016, 06:27 AM   #85
Veteran Member

It's been suggested that the K-1 may represent a new pricing strategy, with not as much price drop over time.
Sooner or later it will drop and it will still be a great camera. Maybe not the top of the heap but it should still work for my purposes.

Or maybe I should just start saving for a 645Z
05-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Sooner or later it will drop and it will still be a great camera. Maybe not the top of the heap but it should still work for my purposes.

Or maybe I should just start saving for a 645Z
I looked at the Imaging Resources comparison, for just about everything out there, and as far as I can tell the 645z is still top of the heap. But it's even bigger. I was a little disappointed in the K-1 compared to the A7RII but long story short, in the pixel peeping game MP would seem to be everything. I'm still looking for that camera that provides more resolution than a higher MP camera. Like focal length in lenses. Despite what people say, more FL is more detail in objects over 30 feet away.

In cameras, more sensor size = more detail, and more MP = more detail and so far, nothing beats more sensor size plus more MP.

But my images don't depend on incredible detail, so it's kind of moot for me. My images depend on right place right time, and a larger /heavier camera/lens combo can be counter productive. The benefit secondary objectives, like best possible resolution, but don't help with the primary objective, most engaging possible picture.

In lenses I love my DA*60-250, but it gets let home for convenience. My DA*200 is lighter and fits in my preferred camera bag. Anytime I have to get away from my preferred bag, I'm going to be unhappy, and when I'm less than enthusiastic, equipment is going to get left home, just because i didn't feel like carrying it that day.

Last edited by normhead; 05-17-2016 at 06:52 AM.
05-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #87
Veteran Member

I looked at the Imaging Resources comparison, for just about everything out there, and as far as I can tell the 645z is still top of the heap. But it's even bigger. I was a little disappointed in the K-1 compared to the A7RII but long story short, in the pixel peeping game MP would seem to be everything. I'm still looking for that camera that provides more resolution than a higher MP camera. Like focal length in lenses. Despite what people say, more FL is more detail in objects over 30 feet away.

In cameras, more sensor size = more detail, and more MP = more detail and so far, nothing beats more sensor size plus more MP.

But my images don't depend on incredible detail, so it's kind of moot for me. My images depend on right place right time, and a larger /heavier camera/lens combo can be counter productive.

In lenses I love my DA*60-250, but it gets let home for convenience. My DA*200 is lighter and fits in my preferred camera bag. Anytime I have to get away from my preferred bag, I'm going to be unhappy, and when I'm less than enthusiastic, equipment is going to get left home.
I would expect the 645Z and A7RII to be better cameras but they cost quite a bit more than the K-1, not really a fair comparison IMHO.

I believe right place + right time is the key for every great photograph no?
05-17-2016, 07:37 AM - 6 Likes   #88
Veteran Member

I can categorically say that the K-1 has facilitated me taking several shots that I wouldn't even have attempted with my K3.

The shot below is one. Taken in a country cemetery, alone, a bit before midnight.

The extra heft in the K-1 camera body (over the K3) gave me the confidence that I could swing it and knock out any zombies that might attack me.....I had practised swinging it (the K-1) from it's articulated screen and had confidence in my abilities if called upon....so in I went.

Fortunately, the K-1 drew the attention of a fallen angel.....who had lost her faith in miracles prior to a full frame pentax being released.... so all went well....the Angels beliefs restored....all things as they should be.

(no. 2 in a series of useless posts by me)

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-17-2016 at 08:06 AM.
05-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Yes,its a great zombie walloper and when ya have to change a card or a lens in the black SA nights,it beats the Sony and 645z."I see the light"
05-17-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
THIS!

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
2. Far better DR (really malleable files, reminds me more of K5 at ISO80 but this time at FF and 36mp)
Definitely like the K5 at ISO80 and FF/36mp.

That alone is enough, all the other bells and whistles - better!