Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My biggest question (and I'm sure it's been brought up though I've not seen in anywhere in the forum) is

"what is the difference in *viewfinder* experience between the K-3 and K-1??"

Very noticeably brighter/larger? Eye relief difference?

05-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #92

Yes, I found the K-1 really worth it. I was using it over the last weekend together with the Pentax HD D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 telelens, a lens which was made with the then near-future K-1 in mind, i.e. a full-frame lens, and the results were really good; better than using a K-3 or K-5-II with that lens, which I have also done.
05-17-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
OK, now that you've all got your shiny K-1 - any real life pictures shot with it that couldn't have been taken with a crop frame Pentax DSLR ?

I've had a quick look through Flickr and all I could find was some pretty boring stuff that could have been shot with anything ...
Non-Pentax Cameras are DOOOOMED!
05-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jkobleur Quote
Non-Pentax Cameras are DOOOOMED!
Are you sure you're on the right forums?

05-17-2016, 08:03 PM - 4 Likes   #95

I've used K5, K3 and now K1. In terms of differences:

K1 user interface is even better than K3, better menu layout, love the third control dial and the menus and camera operation feel snappier and more instantaneous
K1 image quality is just staggering even when pixel peeping and zoomed in on Lightroom
K1 high ISO performace is in a different league
K1 focus speed is as fast as the human eye with the latest lenses such as the 24-70mm F2.8
K1 focus speed is faster with less hunting on older lenses such as Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
K1 focus accuracy seems about on a par with the K3 with a keeper rate in portraiture in the high 90's.
K1 ability to depict and capture gradations of light is utterly magnificent. In my view only MF cameras such as 645Z have depicted this for me before.
K1 viewfinder is noticeably bigger and so it's easier to compose shots and see what's going on in the viewfinder.

In short I feel that since getting the K1 I have raised my game as a photographer and am shooting the best pictures of my life. It's a bit like playing tennis - if you go out and play a better player than you it makes you raise your game to try and match them. In my view the K1 is similar and I now feel very driven to try and push the camera and match what it's capable of.

My latest model shoot is a case in point:

jonlg
Jonathan Gorse Photography

Last edited by jonlg; 05-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
05-18-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #96
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
What I was after was whether there is something unique about K-1 shots (rendering, whatever), something that would be hard to achieve with another camera. Something like the 'Leica M look' is for good Leica shots. Not just a bigger Sony sensor and assorted twiddly bits, which might make picture taking easier but do not necessarily result in 'wow, this must have been taken with a Pentax K-1'.
thanks, you put the right words on my thoughts, since the release of the K-1 .
I find the results have little personality : they are commonplace, even if the quality is there in terms of sharpness, color, ISO, DR....
K-1 is a very nice DSLR, ergonomic, well-built, but for me it lacks a real footprint, a original personality in terms of results & rendering, and I think the example of Leica is very fair. Sorry !
05-18-2016, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #97
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
K-1 is a very nice DSLR, ergonomic, well-built, but for me it lacks a real footprint, a original personality in terms of results & rendering, and I think the example of Leica is very fair.
One word...Lomography...

Steve

05-18-2016, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #98

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
thanks, you put the right words on my thoughts, since the release of the K-1 .
I find the results have little personality : they are commonplace, even if the quality is there in terms of sharpness, color, ISO, DR....
K-1 is a very nice DSLR, ergonomic, well-built, but for me it lacks a real footprint, a original personality in terms of results & rendering, and I think the example of Leica is very fair. Sorry !
<gripe>Rendering personality on a camera body? Ooo-kay. I always kind of chalked most of the sweet rendering quirks down to the lenses being used. Of course sensor technology and format have an effect, but that's another thing altogether. I'm not sure everyone would like the loss of flexibility associated with a body with loads of 'personality'. I'm altogether not sure what people expected from a rendering of a Sony CMOS sensor? Heck, by that criterion even the K-5 is dull and impersonal!</gripe>

As an answer to the original 2 questions (note 2 not one):

Was it worth it? Yes, shooting experience is extremely pleasurable, much more so than with K-5 previously.
What results can K-1 produce that the APS-C cannot? Well it won't make me a better photog, nor will it improve my artistic sense. Then again the question is kind of silly. Especially since you give only vague subjective criteria as the measuring stick "pretty boring stuff that could have been shot with anything". There are measurable differences, however, these mostly have an impact on the image in edge cases and the camera being so new, not many users have had the chance to 'take it to the limit' so to speak (myself included). I guess not many had a pre-booked photography trip waiting for the release of the 'Keiwan'?

Sorry for the acerbic output, screaming children lower tolerances for loaded questions and seemingly weird expectations.
05-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Will a Porsche make me a better driver than a Skoda? Of course not.
Will I have more fun driving a Porsche than a Skoda? Depending on the road, but probably yes.
Will a Pentax K-1 make me a better photographer... ?
Was it worth it? To me, yes! YMMV

Kjell
05-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #100
Pentaxian

After the following the thread to this point it would appear that almost any Pentax user with unlimited funds would love this camera. As with other brands, the viewfinder is better in the FF models, the AF is better in the FF models, there is more resolution in the FF models. What photographer in their right mind would say "No, I don't want any of those things." even if you don't plan to use it a lot, you still would put one on your shelf if some one gave you one. Right now, my guess is, for most of us price is the only issue, and those of us who can afford it, already have it. I took over 1000 images today, none of which would have benefited from using a K-1, all of which benefitted from 24 MP in a crop sensor and 8 frames per second.

Long live my K-3.

(Whenever you want to prove a point on Pentax forums, post a squirrel picture.) See, I don't need a K-1. This is just as good as Ruperts K-1 squirrel images. And don't even try and tell me you want to blow your squirrel images up to 40x60 and you'll be able to see a difference. I won't be buying that line of reasoning.

But I have lots of cameras on my shelf I don't use every day or even once a year. It's not a big deal. If I had it, I'd use it. Is there really someone different than that? I mean come on folks, we're here because we are camera aficionados, no?

Is there really someone who's going to say "If I had it I'd give it away?"

For someone to say "It wasn't worth it." , the only way I'm buying that is if they missed three mortgage payments because they bought it and lost their house.

Last edited by normhead; 05-18-2016 at 02:16 PM.
05-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My top two items.
My glass now captures more of the image, making my A50/1.2 much more useful.
The OVF auto focus points being shown is the most amazing thing. It gives me a much better idea of what the camera thinks it should be focusing on, so that I can quick adjust or attempt a recompose and refocus.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After the following the thread to this point it would appear that almost any Pentax user with unlimited funds would love this camera.
To remix from another thread:

You know what? You're completely right! What were you thinking reading a thread about a really expensive and useless Camera? Here's a much better one:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/81-expired-listings...125-000-a.html

Last edited by Clinton; 05-18-2016 at 02:41 PM.
05-18-2016, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One word...Lomography...

Steve
We looked at a K-1 last Friday and ended up going home with a Holga TIM half frame .

Thought the K-1 felt good in the hand and the viewfinder was bright.
05-18-2016, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #103

Stop to compare FF K1 with APS-C

Please stop to compare the K 1 FF with the K-3 K 01,K...,K...,K..., is another category of camera,compare with the D 810,Canon 5s,Sony A 7 R II and i can tell that the K1 really,by far ,Worth it !!!The Sr is magical,the Ps is magical,the AF is as good as the other FF,using MF A lenses is so easy! Screen,ergonomics,size,WR,and so and so....A bit short in lenses compare to CaNik but the actuals are really good (50 mm Macro and 100 mm macro WR )
05-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
(Whenever you want to prove a point on Pentax forums, post a squirrel picture.) See, I don't need a K-1. This is just as good as Ruperts K-1 squirrel images. And don't even try and tell me you want to blow your squirrel images up to 40x60 and you'll be able to see a difference. I won't be buying that line of reasoning.
Not that your post is anything but a very competent squirrel shot, but Rupert's latest batch of squirrels and doves look pretty good and despite being Web resolution, appear to be better than his previous work. Maybe it is having the pro tool. Perhaps it is the alligator loafers...I dunno...

Steve

(FWIW, still having a good time with the K-3 with only mild inclinations to add another camera to the harem...unless a killer deal on a FM3A kit came up...)
05-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not that your post is anything but a very competent squirrel shot, but Rupert's latest batch of squirrels and doves look pretty good and despite being Web resolution, appear to be better than his previous work. Maybe it is having the pro tool. Perhaps it is the alligator loafers...I dunno...

Steve
It's all about the confidence. He thinks he's better, therefore he is.