Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 125 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #166

Ten years then I got K1 and I very like it!

07-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #167
Pentaxian

I am actually thinking about the same question. If you are not a professional photographer and normally do not use 50% of all professional features that offers this camera - is it worth it to buy? I am not sure. Of course, generally K-1 is better than, for example, K 3-II or any other Pentax camera. However, is it two times better (as it costs double price)? I think it is more about FF vs. APS-c. And there is no clear answer.
07-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now thaat I have owned this K-1 from beginning of release...and I happened to break it, it being now repaired under insurance, and completely repairable thankfully so. I do really think that shooting with my K-3 meanwhile, is something which lacks on VF, resolution, interface...especially when I have got used on the new one. there is potential for so much, that I did not even know and yet it is to be found out. Has it changed my way of shooting, or made me better photographer...well, honestly, not so much...yet. But DR, over K-3 and FoV on my lenses and that all...I can see where I'm going. Lot of things does change. I just can imagine how much different 645 system is, which was an option too for me before K-1 materialized.
I wanted resolution, something from wide, and more Dof control. I'v got that...it is more difficult too, an not as straight forward as one might think. But all in all, those points checked for me it was worth it. Now I'v lot to do to learn this stuff.
If one is happy with APS-C and all, there is no reason for K-1, just to be fair.
07-28-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #169

Photos: Gallery
Well I finally bought a Pentax DSLR, but decided to go for aps-c and even bought an occasion; K30

Just wanted to be able to use my old vintage Pentax K lenses on a digital body since I`ve been collecting them while waiting for a full frame Pentax DSLR. But in the end I didn`t think my photography would improve at all by using a larger sensor then aps-c. So I went for a more simple design with less buttons, less weight, less volume but a fine reputation and quick in use. I`m aware that the K30 might develop a defect with the aperture lever (closing all the way down) but since I`m only going to use it with manual lenses that won`t even be a problem.

I do think it is a bit of a pity of the crop factor; the K20/4 is now a 30/4, the K30/2.8 a 45/2.8, however the 55/1.2 (Revuenon) acts as an 85/1.2, how nice. More then enough bokeh to play with in case I would like to.

Anyhow when I found the K30 body together with an A50/2.8 macro for about 1/8th of the cost of a new K1 body only I could simply not resist. I can imagine many more aps-c bodies will be offered to finance new K1`s so there is a great opportunity to get great Pentax cameras for very reasonable prices. A positive side-effect of the crop factor is that distortion and lowered resolution toward the edges of the frame are both limited. Speaking of limited lenses

Shure it would be nice to get a FF body one day when the prices are more reasonable, just think it makes no sense to keep going for the highest resolution or lowest amount of grain if one doesn`t really need it. I mean who needs an 8K television? Do movies get better because of higher resolution? Not necessarily so I guess. For the time being I like looking at the K1 instead of using it, it looks pretty cool and the prism housing reminds me of the old 67, well done.

Last edited by Barabas; 07-28-2016 at 07:38 AM.
07-29-2016, 10:24 AM   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Well I finally bought a Pentax DSLR, but decided to go for aps-c and even bought an occasion; K30

Just wanted to be able to use my old vintage Pentax K lenses on a digital body since I`ve been collecting them while waiting for a full frame Pentax DSLR. But in the end I didn`t think my photography would improve at all by using a larger sensor then aps-c. So I went for a more simple design with less buttons, less weight, less volume but a fine reputation and quick in use. I`m aware that the K30 might develop a defect with the aperture lever (closing all the way down) but since I`m only going to use it with manual lenses that won`t even be a problem.

I do think it is a bit of a pity of the crop factor; the K20/4 is now a 30/4, the K30/2.8 a 45/2.8, however the 55/1.2 (Revuenon) acts as an 85/1.2, how nice. More then enough bokeh to play with in case I would like to.

Anyhow when I found the K30 body together with an A50/2.8 macro for about 1/8th of the cost of a new K1 body only I could simply not resist. I can imagine many more aps-c bodies will be offered to finance new K1`s so there is a great opportunity to get great Pentax cameras for very reasonable prices. A positive side-effect of the crop factor is that distortion and lowered resolution toward the edges of the frame are both limited. Speaking of limited lenses

Shure it would be nice to get a FF body one day when the prices are more reasonable, just think it makes no sense to keep going for the highest resolution or lowest amount of grain if one doesn`t really need it. I mean who needs an 8K television? Do movies get better because of higher resolution? Not necessarily so I guess. For the time being I like looking at the K1 instead of using it, it looks pretty cool and the prism housing reminds me of the old 67, well done.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/321064-worth-12.html#ixzz4Folxt0SM
Absolutely agree. I have seen a lot of photos from Pentax K-1, K-3 II, K-50 etc. Finally the quality depends on authorīs skills. Of course, FF is better. It offers to a photographer wider set of features. But it doesnīt mean that you 100% will make better photos.
07-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed! Possible step backward...

Unfortunately my work with the K1 is spotty at best. There is more of a learning curve than expected and I'm not using half of what the camera can do. Work I did with my K5II is better in a number of cases in low light because I knew how to manipulate and tweak in order to limit time in post. I recently did the worst set of head shots for a production in my life with my K1 and didn't have any opportunity to re-shoot. Now that things are calming down I will have to study what little manual is provided and Yves ebook. Don't get me wrong, when you have it right the quality of the photos are stunning. So I'm not regretting having the full frame one bit. I waited too long, but the artistic side and the technical side have to be given equal attention in order to deliver on the promise this photographic tool affords. A Pentaxian.

Last edited by MikeDSr; 07-30-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Grammar
07-30-2016, 08:38 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Is the K1 worth the expense? That seems to be the question, and it all depends on your needs or your desires.....

I am a pure amateur, no ambition to exceed that boundary, and shoot for fun and the joy it brings. There is no joy when you see an opportunity and know you can't get a shot. The K1 has eliminated most of that frustration for me with its better AF and low light abilities.

No Pentax I have owned before could have given me this shot in near total darkness. I could barely see these critters in the darkness and not at all in the viewfinder, yet the K1 locked focus and as I guessed at the composition, it got me the shot. It has given me an extra hour of shooting time in the early mornings and late evenings.

All this on top of the other fantastic features that I may or may not ever use...but are there if I should need them. Yep, it is worth it to me....frustration is a nagging experience that has mostly disappeared with my K1...and the fun and joy has multiplied considerably!

Regards!

07-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Is the K1 worth the expense? That seems to be the question, and it all depends on your needs or your desires.....

I am a pure amateur, no ambition to exceed that boundary, and shoot for fun and the joy it brings. There is no joy when you see an opportunity and know you can't get a shot. The K1 has eliminated most of that frustration for me with its better AF and low light abilities.

No Pentax I have owned before could have given me this shot in near total darkness. I could barely see these critters in the darkness and not at all in the viewfinder, yet the K1 locked focus and as I guessed at the composition, it got me the shot. It has given me an extra hour of shooting time in the early mornings and late evenings.

All this on top of the other fantastic features that I may or may not ever use...but are there if I should need them. Yep, it is worth it to me....frustration is a nagging experience that has mostly disappeared with my K1...and the fun and joy has multiplied considerably!

Regards!
Are you starting the "Church of the K-1" ?
"Folks now you can find happiness in your lives like I did. Buy a K-1."
" Before I bought a K-1 my life was full of frustration, now it's full of fun and joy, for just $2499 you too can experience this joy."

"Amen brother, Alleluia"
07-30-2016, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #174
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
" Before I bought a K-1 my life was full of frustration, now it's full of fun and joy, for just $2499 you too can experience this joy."

"Amen brother, Alleluia"
Yep, and you can join too Norm...for a small donation to B&H, Amazon, or Adorama! All proceeds go to the betterment of Ricoh Imaging......except my cut for advertising the K1....

If you join, all your past sinful posts deriding the K1 will be forgiven and deleted.....as we play this invitational tune, step out, come down the aisle and be saved! Step out now Norm...even a wretch like you can have K1 salvation.....put down that K3, leave your scorn behind and join now as the bagpipes beckon you to join today!

Regards!
07-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A photographer I respect and who posts here sent me a shot of a bear taken at Iso 3200.
The chances of me needing to shoot a bear around here are pretty minimal. But I'll bear that in mind ...

Meanwhile I'll carry on with my K-5ii and a DA18-55WR, as I don't feel that I need anything better. And it always rains anyhow.

Flickriver: kh1234567890's photos tagged with smcpda1855mmf3556alwr
07-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #176
Veteran Member

"Amen brother, Alleluia"
Yeah, strangely I've found life has improved having got a K-1, a couple of Zeiss ZK's and the D-FA 2.8/15-30 and D-FA* 2.8/70-200.

Since my only hobby and also part of my work is shooting, it has to be said life has improved.

I also wish for nothing more, which brings to an end an expensive era of chasing round the internet reading about why this is the best or that is better, which frankly could put a glass eye to sleep and took the joy out of it all.

Nowadays I only look at tractor and agricultural sales websites and have my heart set on a new Kubota M-series. (Now that really is dull).
07-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #177
Pentaxian

Ah, the end of another good day at the office..
No one knows where it all will end when it starts, and no one could make up stuff like this.
07-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #178
Veteran Member

Ah, the end of another good day at the office..
No one knows where it all will end when it starts, and no one could make up stuff like this.
Make up stuff like what?
07-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #179
Pentaxian

The direction of this thread.
07-31-2016, 01:33 AM   #180
Veteran Member

The direction of this thread.
You put a downer on everything.