Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

The FA limited are sometimes known as Zeiss with autofocus due to their all metal build and fantastic image quality(noisy screwdrive of course). From the sounds of it the 31, 43, 77 and 100macro would fit the bill even if they are all just a bit wider than the classic lengths your used too. (never a bad thing). Of course you can find the zeiss second hand in pentax k mount and both Pentax (fa 35/2 and fa50/1.4) and sigma (35/1.4 art and 85/1.4 hsm but no 50/1.4 art) are available. Some of the DA lenses designed for Aps-c cameras also cover the FF image circle with a bit of vignetting wide open including the Da*55/1.4 and the budget 35/2.2 and 50/1.8. There is also the legendary Fa*85/1.4 on the second hand market.

05-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
canon will always be the big company that can afford to make a niche lens like the mp-e 65mm (and two different macro flashes). otherwise, you can find what you need and more lenses are coming... but nothing like the 5:1. almost makes me want to switch systems! there are companies (metabones is one) that make an aperture controller/adapter for canon lenses on sony mirrorless bodies. you can get get around 3:1 with the dfa 50mm macro on auto-aperture extension tubes before the subject touches the front element... makes a compact super macro. i also put the 35mm macro on extension tubes... just depends what you're photographing.
05-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
None from Pentax, but Rokinon has a 24mm f/3.5 TS lens: Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Lens for Pentax TSL24M-P
As stated, there are no Tilt and Shift Pentax lenses, but Pentax did make a Shift 28mm lens. It's only available secondhand now, of course.
05-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #19
osv
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pansottin Quote
Macro:
Canon EF 65 MP-E f2.8 Macro 1-5x magnification?
(don't think this last one is possible at least with just one lens solution from any brand).
afaik the only thing holding you back with that particular lens is how to physically attach it to k-mount; you don't need power, because it's manual focus, and ef-mount lenses hold aperture when powered down(?), so you can pre-set the aperture with an old canon eos film body.

flange differences don't matter because you don't need infinity focus.

you could probably fab up an adapter with a 3-d printer.

05-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you very much again for all your suggestions.
The MP-E "case" will work with a second hand Canon Body (6D/7D) for specific super-macro work.

What attracts me in the new K-1 system is the quality of so many features (useful features), the courage to do things differently and an excellent quality body for almost half of the price vs the high price of the Canon bodies with just small improvements concerning Dynamic Range, etc, on each generation.
The new 1DX Mark II is a good example. An excellent camera but again; not a leap from the Mark I version concerning DR or noise. Worth the upgrade?!

I guess the Pentax price will be lower in a couple of years as a second hand unit. But thats normal.
I love the Canon menus, the glass, the ergonomics, the general quality, etc. But Im a bit tired of banding and noise for the last 8-10 years. As I do love my small Ricoh GX200.
(I dont like the Sony ergonomics and menus as an example, in spite of the excellent sensors)

Im a designer; so the object is very important to me.

I confess that my camera should be the 645Z but I cannot afford one .-( plus glass.
So the K-1 would be a first step into the "dark side" ,-) Maybe one can use 645Z glass with both? Ill do my search.
05-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I confess that my camera should be the 645Z but I cannot afford one .-( plus glass.
So the K-1 would be a first step into the "dark side" ,-) Maybe one can use 645Z glass with both? Ill do my search.
645Z glass can be adapted - but then it will be fully manual focus and aperture. Very bulky but worthwhile if you need a backup camera and you use the 645Z normally.
05-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
but Pentax did make a Shift 28mm lens
Which has just become more exciting to use again... due to FF.

Welcome back to my arms oh "Deviate Lady" (SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift).
05-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #23
Pentaxian

About an MP-E alternative, you could try to contact user Nass, here on Pentax Forums. He's the guy behind the Extreme Macro website, uses a lot Pentax gear (and also the MP-E), and certainly is one of the most knowledgeable person to tell you what and if something can be done about this...

05-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
About an MP-E alternative, you could try to contact user Nass, here on Pentax Forums. He's the guy behind the Extreme Macro website, uses a lot Pentax gear (and also the MP-E), and certainly is one of the most knowledgeable person to tell you what and if something can be done about this...
Thank you so much Carl .-) Ill do as you suggest.
05-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have any interest in m43 as a second system there is a 5x macro available there too:

I don't know that this video gives a good feel for the overall quality. There are also some autofocus adapters that would permit the EF lens to be placed on the M43 body and the crop factor plus lens would spell stupid high detail shots.

Just a thought.
05-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #26
sbh
Site Supporter

Generally speaking:
If you want to stick to the upper quality glass, look for the FA* (star) and Limited Lenses. Both are designed for best image quality but with different characteristics in mind.
(There is some writing about that from Pentax somwhere on their site but I can't recall where.)

Look for FA lenses which are the "normal" full frame thing. DA and DA* are crop sensor lenses with some exeptions. The Lens Search here is very helpful (click the "Lenses" Menu above)

Then there are older full frame lenses like F, K etc. but I don't know much about them.

ZE => EOS
ZK => K-Mount (rather hard to find)
05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Generally speaking:
If you want to stick to the upper quality glass, look for the FA* (star) and Limited Lenses. Both are designed for best image quality but with different characteristics in mind.
(There is some writing about that from Pentax somwhere on their site but I can't recall where.)

Look for FA lenses which are the "normal" full frame thing. DA and DA* are crop sensor lenses with some exeptions. The Lens Search here is very helpful (click the "Lenses" Menu above)

Then there are older full frame lenses like F, K etc. but I don't know much about them.

ZE => EOS
ZK => K-Mount (rather hard to find)
Anything other than DA and DA* should be full frame. Some DA and DA* lenses have full frame potential with minimal issues.

F/FA/DFA are all full frame with autofocus of one type or another.

K/M/A are all manual focus without (K/M) aperture automation or with (A) aperture automation.

M42 is a screwmount but can be adapted to the K mount without losing any focus range since they have the same mount distance. The aperture is either fully stopped down or operated like a preset - with a lever for open and closed.
05-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #28
Pentaxian

This is a very nice forum with very kind and supportive participants .-)

The Canon 100mm L f2.8 IS USM is a 1:1 macro.
Good news if there are Pentax equivalence .-) for 1:1 macro factor.
Indeed - this forum is overall a very good spot.

The Pentax-D FA 100/2.8 is 1:1 macro, yes. It is weather-sealed. Excellent lens.

Also the FA 50/2.8 Macro is 1:1 as well. I originally bought this for DSLR slide-film scanning but find myself using for quite a bit else. It is bitingly sharp and just an amazing piece of glass. It is *not* weather-sealed.

(And of course, as mentioned, the FA limiteds are all legendary, and deservedly so.)

K-3 w/ FA50/2.8 Macro
05-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Im considering seriously a system switch based on the new Pentax K-1, but as far as I know it is not possible to adapt Canon EOS EF or Zeiss ZE (for EOS) glass to the Pentax K mount.
What could be the Pentax (or other quality brands like Sigma) equivalent to:

Fast primes:
Zeiss ZE 35mm f2.0 Distagon?
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM?
Zeiss ZE 85mm f1.4 Planar?

Macro:
Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro IS USM?
Canon EF 65 MP-E f2.8 Macro 1-5x magnification?
(don't think this last one is possible at least with just one lens solution from any brand).

What flash could be a substitute for the Canon 600EX-RT?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fast Primes :
35mm - FA35/2 and the FA31/1.8 ltd
50mm - FA50/1.4, or a Sigma 501/.4
85mm - FA77/1.8ltd or a Sigma 85/1.4

Macro :
100mm - DFA100/2.8 WR

MPE65 - Pentax QS-1+PK adapter+macro lens.
Manual focus (as is the MPE), but no need to turn the focus forever, easier magnification control since it works seamlessly from macro distances to infinity, lots of DOF.

Here are some examples :

Last edited by pinholecam; 05-18-2016 at 06:45 AM.
05-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #30
osv
Pentaxian

xlnt work pinholecam!