Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The odd thing to me is when people perceive positive comments about a different brand from the one their shooting as being a slight directed at their own chosen brand. I like the K-1, but that doesn't mean that the A7r II and D810 aren't great cameras, they just aren't cameras I own or, am likely to own because of my glass line up.

05-16-2016, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
It's a company that manufactures consumer and professional electronic equipment, but that's not important right now.

"Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. "
05-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
If Obi-wan were alive, he would certainly change his mind on Mos Eisley
Maybe in his younger days they all sat around on the Republic/Galactic Empire version of chat boards, and he saw what they wrote there.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
SSSHHH, don't tell a soul that the K mount glass is good, keep the prices for the DOOMED!
Yes, this, so much.

The reply to Canon fanboys on the lens question, of course, is to point to the number of Takumar and manual focus-era Pentax lenses currently doing duty on Canon digital bodies. There's no realistic comeback to that, because they're the ones desperate enough to hack the aperture arms off for the glass to be able to fit. Wait for them to acknowledge this. Then ask them why the Canonites in question aren't using OEM lenses.
05-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote

The reply to Canon fanboys on the lens question, of course, is to point to the number of Takumar and manual focus-era Pentax lenses currently doing duty on Canon digital bodies. There's no realistic comeback to that, because they're the ones desperate enough to hack the aperture arms off for the glass to be able to fit. Wait for them to acknowledge this. Then ask them why the Canonites in question aren't using OEM lenses.

Excellent point!

05-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I currently use Nikon, Fuji and Pentax camera systems. Not too long ago I also shot Canon. Anyway, I still remain a member of many of these other camera blogs that focus on these other camera brands.

Now that some really favorable reviews are coming out on the K1, I'm seeing these other blogs starting to have articles on the K1. Folks with the other camera systems are both curious about the new kid on the block, and are also wanting to put the K1 down to show that their chosen equipment is superior.

On one such blog, I made the mistake today of talking about some things I like about the K1. Boy was that the wrong thing to do.

So, just a heads up for you all. As more and more great reviews come out about the K1, the other blogs/forums will be talking more and more about it. Just be aware that if you talk favorably about the K1 on these other sites you will likely be either ignored or flamed.
Please do us the pleasure to share the link of the discussion!
05-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe in his younger days they all sat around on the Republic/Galactic Empire version of chat boards, and he saw what they wrote there.

Yes, this, so much.

Not that hard to understand. Their own mount abandoned them. They can't find Canon legacy glass because it won't work on their bodies.

They probably think of it only as bargain glass.
05-16-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Their own mount abandoned them. They can't find Canon legacy glass because it won't work on their bodies.
Will it work on anything at all, except Mirrorless?

I've heard that not only did they change the mount, they lengthened the register distance; a double whammy.

At least Pentax kept the register distance the same when they ditched screwmount, with MASSIVE benefits in terms of adapting old OEM and third-party M42 glass. The shame is that they could not find a way to make the SMC Takumars' automatic functions carry over, thus reducing them to pure stop-down, but oh the complexity and compromises that would have involved!

We have it really, really good these days.

One day when/if they get around to making Commemorative Edition K1's for whatever reason, I hope they package them with a shiny new M42 adapter and a postage paid voucher for a single Takumar CLA (including de-yellowing where appropriate). Because whatever the legends about limited production runs of 50/1.2's being put out from time to time, I don't think we'll see SMC Takumar 50/1.4's coming out NIB in any great hurry.

05-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #23
osv
Veteran Member

Will it work on anything at all, except Mirrorless?

I've heard that not only did they change the mount, they lengthened the register distance; a double whammy.
ef mount is indeed 2mm longer than fd mount, but canon made an adapter that has glass in it, to compensate... pretty rare, but they show up on ebay every now and then... there are also several aftermarket fd to ef adapters.
Canon FD to EOS lens adapters - Elefoto

for the most part, you don't need any of the m42 automatic functions with mirrorless, which eliminates the focus shifting that is so common with the old fast 50's.
05-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
what's a Sony?
A radio ?
(Just kidding - we know its Minolta -a great platform)
05-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #25
Pentaxian

And they'll just look like bafoons to normal and rational lurkers.
05-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #26

Photos: Albums
Minolta did the same thing with the transition from the SR/MC/MD mount to the A-mount, extending the flange distance by 1mm.
05-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
Just like kids... 'they are stupid because something, we are smart because of something else' .
What the bloody hell matters to anyone what other people say on the internet?
I too, like Pentax, but consider the k1 to be a success, that wasn' t really in competition with anyone, since the specs are years old. So? Does that stop/ reduce the sales? By one (me) ?
So? It was a camera made for their fan base, as stated. Many amateurish photos taken with this system have flooded the internet (mostly amateurs buy it) . Hopefully enough cash from this will come, so they will bring some innovation in the next cameras, as far as flash speed sync goes, or AF (or even bring it just in the same age as the rest, when launched).
See? There' s discontent even in the fan base? That doesn' t mean you should stop shooting and moan about it. True photography doesn' t need a 5 page story/ shot and/ or a equipment description to catch interest. So, move along.