Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote
My K20D does not do this. This was the first thing I noticed on the K-1. Probably a lot of people like me are upgrading from older bodies like the K10D or K20D with earlier versions of SR.
Shake harder, the K10d and K20d has the same system and rattle as well. Some might be a little tighter and need a tap to rattle, others only need to be tilted for the sensor to move.

05-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Shake harder,
Okay, don't actually shake harder You might ruin something if you shake too hard!
But another thing to consider is that the SR mechanism, while still the same principle, has been updated and upgraded throughout the years.
05-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My K20D does not do this. This was the first thing I noticed on the K-1. Probably a lot of people like me are upgrading from older bodies like the K10D or K20D with earlier versions of SR.
Try running dust removal and you'll hear it loud and clear

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try running dust removal and you'll hear it loud and clear
That is not a rattle. That is a high frequency vibration and it's caused by the user manually and intentionally activating the dust removal feature.

The reason that people with older cameras with less advanced SR systems are confused/concerned is because the SR system in the K-1 makes a rattle noise when you gently turn the camera over to change a lens, or when you pull the camera out of your bag, or when it bumps gently against your body when using a neck strap to shoulder sling. With a K20D, no matter how hard you shake it (within reason), it does not make any noise.

The bottom line is that it's nothing to worry about, no matter what Pentax dSLR you have, but newer ones with more advanced SR systems seem to be louder than older ones.

05-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #20
Pentaxian

With a K20D, no matter how hard you shake it (within reason), it does not make any noise.
Well it should. Sounds like the sensor is stuck or something. It's the same principle as in the K-1, albeit slightly smaller.
05-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That is not a rattle. That is a high frequency vibration and it's caused by the user manually and intentionally activating the dust removal feature.

The reason that people with older cameras with less advanced SR systems are confused/concerned is because the SR system in the K-1 makes a rattle noise when you gently turn the camera over to change a lens, or when you pull the camera out of your bag, or when it bumps gently against your body when using a neck strap to shoulder sling. With a K20D, no matter how hard you shake it (within reason), it does not make any noise.

The bottom line is that it's nothing to worry about, no matter what Pentax dSLR you have, but newer ones with more advanced SR systems seem to be louder than older ones.
The DR system in the K20D is not ultrasonic, unlike the DR II used in all future flagships. Hence, when activated, it will make a shaking noise similar to what you'd here if you shook the camera really hard yourself. But yes, not the same as the clunk sound that most people hear- just something similar to illustrate the concept.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: