Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #1

Does the K-1 rattle?

Can anyone tell me whether their new K-1 has a rattle when shook?

Upon delivery the shipping box fell from a table to the floor about three feet. Not terrible but when I opened it I found that the vendor did not protect the camera inside. The camera was pretty much shuffling around inside the shipping box. I took the camera out and shook it to listen for damage -- it has a rattle. I'm wondering if it's fine and the rattle is the articulated screen. I have no point of reference. My K-3 has no rattle and no articulated screen.

05-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. Don't shake it
2. Yes - it's the sensor moving (When it's turned on, the shake reduction system will hold it in place)
05-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

I don't have a K-1 (yet) but none of my cameras rattle when I shake them while they're off.

But when turned on, my K-3 does "shuffle" a bit when moving and I'd have to stick my ear up close to actually hear it.
05-17-2016, 07:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
1. Don't shake it
2. Yes - it's the sensor moving (When it's turned on, the shake reduction system will hold it in place)
Thank you.

05-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
1. Don't shake it
Thank you very much.
05-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are already threads about this, even a PF blog post about the famous Pentax clunk, rattle sound. Its the sensor that floats in there for the SR mechanism. It is robust, but don't rattle the camera just to make sounds. Its not a musical instrument, and you might damage something inside if you shake it too much.

The sound is normal. Google more about it, it is present in Pentax DSLRs for years now

Oh, and congrats on getting a K-1
05-17-2016, 07:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

How hard are you shaking it? If I gently shake my K-1 the only rattling I hear is from the triangular ring strap attachments.

05-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by besoterio Quote
Can anyone tell me whether their new K-1 has a rattle when shook?

Upon delivery the shipping box fell from a table to the floor about three feet. Not terrible but when I opened it I found that the vendor did not protect the camera inside. The camera was pretty much shuffling around inside the shipping box. I took the camera out and shook it to listen for damage -- it has a rattle. I'm wondering if it's fine and the rattle is the articulated screen. I have no point of reference. My K-3 has no rattle and no articulated screen.
The sensor SR assembly moves around more or less freely. It's normal to hear that inside the camera, on any Pentax model with SR (including your K-3). The K-1 sounds a little different but in all likelihood, yours is fine. Just be sure to check to see that the photos are good

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2016, 12:59 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Yes it does. Its going to rattle Nikon, canon, sony......
05-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
Yes it does. Its going to rattle Nikon, canon, sony......
Ha ha. That's what I'm hoping! I've been following the reviews on DP Review. I hope they blow canon and nikon out of the water.

---------- Post added 05-17-16 at 05:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The sensor SR assembly moves around more or less freely. It's normal to hear that inside the camera, on any Pentax model with SR (including your K-3). The K-1 sounds a little different but in all likelihood, yours is fine. Just be sure to check to see that the photos are good
Thank you. I wasn't shaking it hard but hearing that sound after a fall was unsettling. The images are outstanding BTW.
05-17-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
How hard are you shaking it? If I gently shake my K-1 the only rattling I hear is from the triangular ring strap attachments.

Yes, hold those still as you shake, and suddenly the 'sensor noise' may go away.
05-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

My K1 is also rattling. It stops when the mirror is locked up and also stops when I have the shutter half pressed for focussing. The rattle is quite loud and I can feel it thro' the body if I just turn the camera upside down and back. (Gently of course). It's more like a "clunk." I haven't dropped mine and have only had it 4 days. I think it must be the shake reduction but it is very loud and I didn't notice anything for the first 2 days of use. Photos are great, everything seems to work fine but.....
05-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
InBody stabilizing is noisy. It is how Pentax DSLRs work.
05-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I developed a new rattle on my K1

When the grip finally arrived, I used the camera strap mounting point on it. So now the camera hangs sideways, same as in my old LX days.

For no real reason except I prefer it that way, because the strap now no longer comes over the top of the camera body, when it's wrapped around my right hand.

The new rattle was coming from the plastic covered strap clip, mounted to the captive post on the body. It's of a split ring construction, but boy it's a wee tough one to get off, but she's gone now and is all quiet and well, in the land of Kerrowdown once again.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-29-2016 at 06:36 AM.
05-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's normal to hear that inside the camera, on any Pentax model with SR (including your K-3).
My K20D does not do this. This was the first thing I noticed on the K-1. Probably a lot of people like me are upgrading from older bodies like the K10D or K20D with earlier versions of SR.