Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The third command dial will be great though. That addition I very much like. Having immediate control over all three exposure parameters is fantastic.

05-19-2016, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I challenge all those complaining about the new dial to work with gloves on at some point. Then you will love it.
05-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
My theory behind the quick access dial and why it is there and so big is that the K-1 is seen as a field camera. The quick access dial is oversized to make it easier to change settings when you have gloves on etc when it is cold or inclement weather.
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I challenge all those complaining about the new dial to work with gloves on at some point. Then you will love it.
The field camera use-case argument for the chunky smart function dial is valid but I, for one, have never shot with gloves whereas just about every time I take my K-5 out I regularly glance at the EV bar on the top LCD between shots.
05-19-2016, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
1. Why did they invert the LV and image preview button??
!
I am pressing it all the time for the same reason!

I think I will get used to it ultimately.

05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point with the gloves! I'd love to have some customizable setting on the dot ('off' being default), but I can see some of the existing settings being very useful to me with gloves.

My design 'rant' - take it with a grain of salt, this camera is a huge step up for me in almost any other respect from the K-5 and those are minor potential usability improvements for my use of the camera:

A. I don't know if it's just wear, but the texture of my K-5's top cover is smoother, attracting less dirt.

B. There are at least 5 different ways on the K-1 to cover openings: 1. hinged doors for cards & battery, 2. robust rubber 'doors' or plugs, e.g. for USB and external cable release, 3. little rubber tabs for mic/headphone, 4. slide-in cover for hotshoe, 5. screw-in cap for PC socket. Out of those, 4 and especially 5 are very easy to misplace. Why can't the PC socket be behind one of the roomy rubber doors, e.g. together with the cable release? Number 3 seems to be a disaster for durability: the rubber tabs are protruding and flimsy and have loose sides, easy to pull open or even rip off, e.g. when taking the camera out of a zippered bag in a hurry. The K-5 one is a little less bad - edge flush with the body and smaller. A different solution eliminating the protrusion at a prominent edge would be much preferred for a stills-focused camera.meant to be taken out in the field.

C. The new (since K-5) shape of the MF/AF switch is confusing: I'm a somewhat visual guy (anyone else here?) so I know straight up means AF and slanted means MF, I could feel and switch it with my left little finger on the K-5. Alas, the front edge is straight now when in MF and I have a number of slightly misfocused quick snaps from last weekend thinking I was in AF. The space behind it is also too narrow now to comfortably switch to MF - something I frequently use e.g. with the plastic fantastics. The video switch shape works better for me. Altogether I disagree with the removal of AF-S/AF-C distinction from the switch: Unless I'm missing a feature, the AF-point selection button could easily have been combined with the region and contrast detect AF mode selection (using a wheel while holding it) into a single properly-sized and placed button. Now having to use the switch and two buttons (plus controller) in life view to change from MF to e.g. face detect on a specific person is a mental exercise.

D. There is a recessed area on the bottom plate next to the mount, likely for a label - mine is empty. That space is missing as support for some of the smaller size quick release plates, like Manfrotto 400 or compact Arca-style plates.

E. Is it really necessary to have such a big frame around the rear display nowadays? Looks like the display could easily have been bigger.

F. There are several extra indents/edges/protrusions which I don't get. Why, as an example, isn't the AE-L button integrated similarly to the left side or bottom buttons? The wheel proximity would provide enough tactile feedback to know where your thumb is when of AF. Altogether 'new' controls feel a little more bolted-on than integrated, again compared to the K-5, where the AE-L 'hill' had a meaning: You can operate it with your thumb firmly on the grip. Less convenient with the flush AF now, but the raised button is still AE-L even though you can't operate it either without lifting your thumb from the grip.

G. I can hear the edgy plastic protectors around the D-rings rub against the camera, will switch them for leather like they used to be.
05-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Why there's a bump in the body at the base of the grip where all previous models are flat?
I can answer that...

For manual focus lens users like myself, the bump of the grip falls beautifully onto the heel of the left hand under the lens when focusing.

I acted as consultant when they were designing the grip and Pentax added that bit just for me... no not really just kidding.
05-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I will write in arabic... لم يجد في الورد عيبا سوى انه احمر/
And I can reply in Arabic too... ايي، ولكن بنتاكس يمكن التعامل مع الأحمر

05-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't mind the 3rd control wheel, it's a neat idea but if I had to choose between it and a bigger top lcd, I would take the bigger lcd hands down.
Everything else is either easy enough to get used to or an improvement imho.
05-19-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

1. Why did they invert the LV and image preview button??
With a big lens like the D-FA* 70-200mm your left hand is cradling the lens and then it makes sense to move the playback button over to where you can operate it with your right thumb and not change your grip. I get the feeling the new glass is going to be big and heavy.

2. I can't get the idea behind the new "quick access" dial on the right
I have only used it a couple of times. Once I set all my user modes I don't use it. I'm sure other with different shooting styles will find a good use for it.

3. Why is the focus selection button so small and so inaccessible?
Again, with big glass your left thumb can engage it without changing your grip, but it takes some practice.

4. The SD cards accessibility
Yeah. Designers mush have small hands. Its annoying, but its a minor grip.

I would like faster AF, bigger buffer, & UHS-II. But for the money it is the best camera on the market. Image quality is simply amazing.
05-20-2016, 12:32 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I sometimes use 'flipping' as a euphemism for 'effing'. Consider adding that to your lexicon to use during your discussions of complaint and negativity :^)
I like that! Thanks for the suggestion
05-20-2016, 01:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I don't think all the comments are about the size of the dials; I think they are a fine size

Some of the adjustments available to be made using the dials are made blind. I can easily enable crop mode and I have a feedback in the viewfinder: crop box. If I turn the dial again, I am no longer in crop mode and I know this because the crop box goes away. However, I don't know if I am in FF or AUTO mode..

There is no indication to the user unless the user enables the rear LCD or presses INFO to check. I don't use the rear LCD to display stuff. However, having the rear LCD light up as it does when drive menu is used (even when display is otherwise disabled) or having the little top LCD show FF or CRP or AUT (or similar as is displayed when AF modes are selected) would help lot....
05-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I don't have my K-1 yet, but I managed to "play" a bit with one. I'm not fond of the smaller LCD screen, but I think I'll use the new smart function dial.
That smart function dial seems a bit of an afterthought, it's not very well integrated into the general interface design. 3 ways of setting ISO? Really? But I'm not bothered by that.

"Gimmicks" like those LEDs could be useful, too - the front one works even with the camera turned off, by the way.

The camera locked up once or twice (firmware v1.10), though I wasn't handling it then so I don't know during which operations.

In the end, the only real issue is - when do I get mine?
05-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Somebody who uses the sensor shift/composition adjust feature, please tell me they include the electronic level on the same screen as the sensor shift adjustment...this is a weakness of the K3 as it requires you to toggle back and forth to refine the adjustment.
Anyone know?
05-20-2016, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Somebody who uses the sensor shift/composition adjust feature, please tell me they include the electronic level on the same screen as the sensor shift adjustment...this is a weakness of the K3 as it requires you to toggle back and forth to refine the adjustment.
Anyone know?
Sorry, no. And the electronic level bar in the top display, showing one dimension on the K-5 (at least), is gone as well.
05-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Sorry, no. And the electronic level bar in the top display, showing one dimension on the K-5 (at least), is gone as well.
darn, i think they missed the mark on that feature.