Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A faster full frame body? The K-1 is for landscapes, how about a 24mp FF that can shoot at 6-7fps, better video...

But good point Mr. Fox - Ricoh can't do it all!

05-19-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
A faster full frame body? The K-1 is for landscapes, how about a 24mp FF that can shoot at 6-7fps, better video...
I use the K-1 primarily for action photography:

Photos showing some of the K-1's AF capability

Photos of airplanes in flight taken with a K-1

More photos of birds in flight taken with a K-1

Barry Pearson's K-1

I hope Ricoh/Pentax develop a better FF action camera.
05-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
npc
Veteran Member

Not until next flagship FF is released I guess. Right now there's not enough old tech to put inside to save costs, no cheap FF lenses to go with it (and the ones on the roadmap look like fast expensive ones to me) ... and it actually needs to be at least $500 cheaper to be worth considering getting one instead of K-1 at $1800 so it's goig to be a tough sell if it is somewhere between K-1 and top APS-C models pricewise.
05-19-2016, 01:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

There is a place for a K-02 with XS K-Mount.

05-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not a 24 mpx body? Not" cheaper" but somehow different: 36 mpx need ultimate quality lenses; I'm saving money for the k1 but the question is if the legacy glass I already own is enough for that. A 24 mpx body could be perfect for all-around photography with legacy glass. just wondering.....and saving money for FF. And yes...I have to say this....THANK YOU PENTAX/RICOH for giving us the K1 !
05-19-2016, 04:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I think my dream DSLR would be a K-S2 with a 24MP full-frame sensor. There's a large gulf between dream and reality, though, and I doubt whether there's any way it could work technically or economically. At least not with the technology of today.

I suspect sometime in the near-ish future Ricoh-Pentax will get on board the mirrorless-with-EVF train, and then more design and engineering options will open up.
05-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think it's more likely that we'll see a downsized K-1 class camera with an APS-C format using all the innovations of the K-1 in a smaller, lighter, more nimble package.

05-19-2016, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i don't see the need for what you have described as a consumer level, plastic APS-C model, but with a FF sensor. Why does an enthusiast need a FF sensor over an APS-C? I cannot figure out what demographic would be targeted with a plastic FF K3.
The same folks that shoot Fujifilm X series cameras. People who adventure with their gear. People that have space and weight requirements. In fact, I was contemplating the K-1 but the size simply didn't work for me. This doesn't mean I won't get one, but I won't be paying $1800 for it when it might sit on the shelf in favor of a K-5IIs and a bunch of DA pancakes.

For instance, although the size difference is very small and the weight difference very small, I chose the K-5IIs over the K-3II because of the size and weight. The KS-2 intrigues me a lot but the K-5IIs is faster and seems to offer mostly everything I need in a little better build. If the K-3II was the same size as the K-5IIs and I could access composition adjust with the push of a button, I'd be shooting a K-3II (probably, the K-5IIs does have some advantages in IQ in some situations, but I would have liked Pixel shift and built in GPS).

Since I've essentially upgraded my whole Pentax system this year, I looked very heavily at Fujifilm, the smaller size and weight of the bodies really appealed to me on many levels. However, those weren't without tradeoffs. Balance, controls with gloves, and grip all were in Pentax favor.

However, a KS-2 or even K-5 body size in full frame would appeal to many folks.

I'm still considering a Fuji X and a 14mm lens for mountaineering. If I go that route, I'll forego the K-1.

---------- Post added 05-20-2016 at 12:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I think it's more likely that we'll see a downsized K-1 class camera with an APS-C format using all the innovations of the K-1 in a smaller, lighter, more nimble package.
I'd love to see this. Personally, I'm not in dire need of FF. I do, however, like a lot of the features on the K-1. If they could integrate them into a K-3 or better K-5 sized body, I'd probably prefer to spend $1200 on a K-1 with a APS-C sensor.
05-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
There are not that many new things in K1 applicable to aps-c compared to what's already in K3II. New AF chip, viewfinder overlay and maybe some software stuff. IMHO, not enough for a new flagship especially since there's no new generation aps-c sensor on the horizon.

I wonder if they will keep producing aps-c cameras like k5/k3 from now on or limit the aps-c line to K-50 level of cameras and make only FF top level models.
05-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think we would see it in 1.5 to 2yrs from now.

Given Pentax's history of not purposely crippling their lower end cameras, I would think the camera will come.
However, having spent so much resource on the K1, I think they will want to see where this direction is heading in terms of sales.
05-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
There are not that many new things in K1 applicable to aps-c compared to what's already in K3II. New AF chip, viewfinder overlay and maybe some software stuff. IMHO, not enough for a new flagship especially since there's no new generation aps-c sensor on the horizon.

I wonder if they will keep producing aps-c cameras like k5/k3 from now on or limit the aps-c line to K-50 level of cameras and make only FF top level models.
Seems odd. Every other manufacturer has a top end APS-C camera. Why would you limit your sales?

The K-50/KS-2 is nice, but it's not a K-5/3 level camera.

I think Pentax needs a top end APS-C or they need to make a FF in a smaller body like a K-3. But abandoning all the folks who use Pentax for the DA limiteds seems like a bad idea. I

---------- Post added 05-20-2016 at 12:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think we would see it in 1.5 to 2yrs from now.

Given Pentax's history of not purposely crippling their lower end cameras, I would think the camera will come.
However, having spent so much resource on the K1, I think they will want to see where this direction is heading in terms of sales.
I think people buying the K-1 want or need a full frame sensor. If they released am APS-C K-3IIs with upgraded AF and some other K-1 features, I doubt it would impact K-1 sales.
05-20-2016, 12:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

From when Pentax announced a FF camera development over a year ago, I have been thinking of how they will position the FF cameras and in what order they will be released. This is a mix of my prediction from a year ago and a newly retouched predictions.

1. First a competitor to Canon 5D series and Nikon D800-series. A very well built 42 Mp high resolution low speed camera with some catching Pentax special features at a price notably under the competition. I will say the K-1 came to fit that description well, except the Mp count. The purpose of this camera would be to get attention and respect, and show the world Pentax have high quality high value FF cameras and sell in resonable quantities. Its not meant to make Ricoh rich but to pave the way for future FF cameras and brand growth.

2. Second a competitor to Canon 1D series and Nikon D4/D5-series. An even sturdier build, low resolution high speed camera with some of the same Pentax brand specialties. I believe it will be a K-1 with fixed screen, better AF, larger battery and a D4 sensor. I expect it to be more expensive then K-1 but not close to 1D and D4 prices. The AF system will be great but behind D5/D500. The purpose of this camera will be more or less the same as K-1 and wont make Ricoh rich as its expensive to make and low volume.

3. Third a cost reduced competitor to the 6D series and D600 series. I expect a fixed screen will make it lighter, built in flash and no GPS. I'm not sure about the rest of the specs but maybe a 24 Mp sensor as the D750 or maybe 36 Mp as K-1 because of larger volume sales and ease of implementation. Also the extra control wheel will go away. The body shape may change notably more then the screen to reduce weight and size. Maybe a touch of retro style as a tribute to the limited lens series, with a silver version from the start. Maybe the same AF module as K-1 and only one SD slot. Pricing will probably be on par with the competition. This is meant to sell in larger quantities and make a solid income for Ricoh and increase sale of limited lenses.

All Pentax FF cameras will have SR, WR, body LED lighting, top LCD, DNG file format, pixel shift resolution and Wifi with Android/iOS app thetering, file sync and social sharing. The K-3III might be priced higher then the cheapest FF camera (like D500 are to D610). The cheapest FF camera may get a K-02 little brother with EVF and retro style light weight body priced at K-50 level.

Last edited by Simen1; 05-20-2016 at 06:28 AM.
05-20-2016, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Wow. Deja vu.

I think we had a similar thread here about a year ago.

In that thread I also expressed a wish for Pentax to go the Nikon/Sony route and do two FF models: a cheap but decent 24MP (cf D610/D750/A7), and a 36MP (D810/A7R class).

Well, we ended up with the 36MP option, but the price came out competitive [locally] with some of the latest 24MP FF's cameras. I still think a cheaper, lighter D750 clone would be a good idea for Pentax, but with the K-1 on the scene now (and at a non-forbidding price) there seems little need for Pentax to rush down that path.
05-20-2016, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #29
farmerDavid

For what its worth: the Ricoh rep at the Montreal Outdoor Show said that if things went well with the K-1, they planned a cheaper and a higher spec model. How well's the K-1 doing
Personnaly I'm not worried about bodies. Pentax has always excellent bodies. The lens release rate (esp. * primes) is their problem. Loads of bodies and cheap std zooms (20-40, 16-85, 18-135, 18-55, 28-105) are borring.
We pentaxians are a patient folk
David
05-20-2016, 07:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farmerDavid Quote
For what its worth: the Ricoh rep at the Montreal Outdoor Show said that if things went well with the K-1, they planned a cheaper and a higher spec model. How well's the K-1 doing
Personnaly I'm not worried about bodies. Pentax has always excellent bodies. The lens release rate (esp. * primes) is their problem. Loads of bodies and cheap std zooms (20-40, 16-85, 18-135, 18-55, 28-105) are borring.
We pentaxians are a patient folk
David
That 16-85 is an awesome lens. Sharp corner to corner at all apertures, very little distortion. I wish it was either faster or smaller, but...I do agree with you. They don't have a whether sealed prime wide angle or a UWA zoom. They haven't updated the 12-24 or 14mm which should be easier enough to add HD coating and WR to at Little additional cost.