Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2016, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What happens after all the doggedly loyal Pentaxians have a K-1? How many people switch to Pentax?
First, as a Pentaxian I probably wont buy the K-1. I'm waiting for a camera with better AF, better video and faster fps. OR a price that is too low to let it go.

Second, early in K-1s life it seems like 10% of K-1 owners on PF switched from other brands. There is many reasons why I expect this number to increase. I think Pentaxians are standing first in line for a long awaited FF-upgrade, but after us, there will be more people from other brands. There is also the PF-effect. Most users here are already Pentaxians, and don't need time to find the fine PF community (including this poll). A lower percentage of converts will find its way to the poll.

It may be wild speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if half of the K-1 owners in 2017 are converts. That will represent a significant increase in market share. Market shares are constantly changing and 2016-2017 will probably be a very positive change for Pentax.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-18-2016 at 04:15 AM.
06-18-2016, 04:10 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What happens after all the doggedly loyal Pentaxians have a K-1? How many people switch to Pentax?

The answer to the second question answers the others.
Actually Ed from Photouniverse gave an answer to that question in one of his video's in the time everyone was thinking if the K-1 would ever come. He said something like {Either they never bring the full frame to market and go out of business because of that or they bring the full frame to market and go out of business after that}. Time will tell, since there appears to be low stock of K-1 in several places, so pre-orders are nering their end and regular stock sales will be Ahead.
06-18-2016, 04:34 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I'm waiting for a camera with better AF
The K-1 AF is fine. Define Good, then we can discuss Better.
better video
Within 12 months
and faster fps.
How fast is fast enough?

It will be a long time before Pentax makes that camera in FF - if they ever make that camera in FF. They might make it in APSc.
OR a price that is too low to let it go.
Uh, gee, how low is that?
06-18-2016, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

There is no reason to question my personal priorities. I'll wait and save - I will know what I buy sooner or later.

06-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #50
Pentaxian

First, as a Pentaxian I probably wont buy the K-1. I'm waiting for a camera with better AF, better video and faster fps. OR a price that is too low to let it go.

Second, early in K-1s life it seems like 10% of K-1 owners on PF switched from other brands. There is many reasons why I expect this number to increase. I think Pentaxians are standing first in line for a long awaited FF-upgrade, but after us, there will be more people from other brands. There is also the PF-effect. Most users here are already Pentaxians, and don't need time to find the fine PF community (including this poll). A lower percentage of converts will find its way to the poll.

It may be wild speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if half of the K-1 owners in 2017 are converts. That will represent a significant increase in market share. Market shares are constantly changing and 2016-2017 will probably be a very positive change for Pentax.

Basically, you are asking people, including non-Pentax users to shoulder the burden and keep the market alive, while you wait out another 16yrs.

Sorry to say, but this sort of not putting money where the keyboard is, while expecting something better to come is precisely the problem with the state of Pentax today.

By the time there is better AF, you will be waiting for cerebral interface focus.
By the the time there is better fps, you will be waiting for 10k video where one can take any frame as the still image.
The K1 is plenty fine, get one and shoot more picts now, rather than waiting for Pinkerton to arrive on his steamship.

This Full Frame sub section serves no purpose now that the K1 is out but for those who like to dabble in make believe cameras.

Last edited by pinholecam; 06-18-2016 at 05:20 AM.
06-18-2016, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Basically, you are asking people, including non-Pentax users to shoulder the burden and keep the market alive, while you wait out another 16yrs.
If you think buying stuff are peoples moral duty to keep companies going, fine for you. I don't agree. I'll buy whenever I want, for my own reasons.

Companies exist to serve people, not the other way around.

Last edited by Simen1; 06-18-2016 at 07:11 AM.
06-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #52
Pentaxian

If you think buying stuff are peoples moral duty to keep companies going, fine for you. I don't agree. I'll buy whenever I want, for my own reasons.
Keep waiting then...

I better start processing my photos taken with the K1 from Bali.
06-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #53
Pentaxian

I'll buy whenever I want, for my own reasons.

06-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

There is no reason to question my personal priorities. I'll wait and save - I will know what I buy sooner or later.

Companies exist to serve people, not the other way around.
I'm just curious to know what precise specifications you are looking for, at what precise price.

Not questioning your priorities at all. Sincerity - yeah, maybe.

Tire kicking is fine. Don't expect companies to wait around while you kick them though.
06-18-2016, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

My K5IIs fell of the shelf and was badly damaged......which led to my K1 purchase. I can't imagine any camera that would make my K1 want to fall off the shelf? It's a horrifying thought!

Mrs Rupert said that before she buys me a new camera again anytime soon my old one had better be hit by a train.....and I'd better be holding it when it happens.

Regards!
06-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Poor Mr. Rupert! Just stay away from railway please.
06-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Companies exist to serve people
No, they don't. Oversimplifying a bit, companies exist to make a profit, and from a consumer point of view they're offering us what we, as individuals, have no chance to achieve (e.g. a fully working digital camera).
07-07-2016, 03:25 AM   #58
Pentaxian

The lower res alternative already existed when Pentax released the near-perfect K5II. Just buy that instead. It's the same sensor as the K1
07-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #59
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if Pentax will release a second FF body. If they do, IMO it would be for one of two reasons:

1) A simplified 'entry-level' model at a price to REALLY tempt those who aspire to FF photography (and significantly undercut the 6D/D610); or
2) They manage to up their AF game such that it is worthy of being considered for sports/action, and then release a competitor to the 1DX/D5 at a much lower price-point.

OR, they might eventually do both. The 5D/D800 series cameras are probably the best selling FF ranges for each respective company, so it makes sense that Pentax began there.

I think option 1 is the most likely next venture if they do go for a second body. A great way to tempt people into the Pentax system.

Option 2 might happen in a few years, but is very much dependent on the direction the DSLR v MILC debate goes, and Pentax/Ricoh's desire to appeal to all photographers...

I don't think it would be worthwhile releasing a 24mp K-1 just for the higher FPS. That would be a bit useless without the AF system to match.

Last edited by Poit; 07-11-2016 at 05:23 PM.
07-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think Adam got the point: lower resolution sensor needs an AA filter, which for some reason becomes a super stupid thing to have and everyone claims they cameras are AA-free. Not sure pentax is brave enough to do so.
And high IQ is one of the main selling points for pentax. a low resolution camera with just so so AF system probably will not attract many buyer. Even for lower level camera, Pentax might take off GPS, wifi, less control dials and fixed screen -- all these can help cutting cost, but lower resolution sensor may not reduce cost.
So I think it may not happen.