Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
24mp full frame K mount camera, possible?

First, to clarify, it is NOT even a rumor :-). in dead, I am asking for rumors :-)

OK. Just around the time K1 was officially announced, I read something like a possible 24mp FF sensor camera. Pentax wanted to catch up the pixel MP battle first by releasing the 36mp K1, but a next FF camera would be a 24mp one, to increase the speed and high ISO performance, or just to be different.

To be honest, I decided to wait for the 24mp at first, because I have A7's FF sensor already. But I could not resist the K1 for many reasons and soon ordered one, good price was the major reason.

Now my K1 was damaged, and re-ordered one is back-ordered...

Looking at the RAW files saved from K1, IQ are really great. But it is really overdone TO ME. I just upgraded my computer and hard drive, but still the huge files are big burden, both for processing and for storage. I deleted most RAWs. And, I like to frame the image carefully before click shutter (a habit form film time) and I don't crop the image too much in processing. High resolution did not help me too much. Yes, 100% view is striking, but only me do it on screen.

Anyone heard anything about lower pixel number FF camera in the future? I could not find the original post talking about it. If it will come out in coming 2 years, I might cancel the K1.

05-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was told before from a rep at my local store that Ricoh will come with d750 like after 6 or 13 monthes from k1 release date. but when i asked hime a week ago he said it will depends on the demends on k1.
not sure if his info is updated but my mind tells me that 24 mp sensor is a realeastic step.
BTW sorry for your k1.
05-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would be in for such a camera, so I will go ahead and confirm your rumor as 100% true. After all, it comes from a very good source...the first person to destroy a K-1!
05-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
After all, it comes from a very good source...the first person to destroy a K-1!
I was very exited when I read the first part of it sentence...:-(

05-30-2016, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I was very exited when I read the first part of it sentence...:-(
Sorry about that, but there's no denying that you do posses a certain stature around here now.
05-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the current 36 Mp offering will satisfy most users. If they were to make a change they'd have two potential crowds to cater to: low-light shooters or high-speed shooters.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
low-light shooters or high-speed shooters
And "24mp enough" shooters

K1's low light performance is great, but who don't like a camera that you do have to worry about noise at all even at ISO 3200, 6400? I shoot indoor a lot, moving objectives or group photos in dim light...
Plus better dynamic range from a low pixel sensor...

05-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
I was told before from a rep at my local store that Ricoh will come with d750 like after 6 or 13 monthes from k1 release date. but when i asked hime a week ago he said it will depends on the demends on k1.
not sure if his info is updated but my mind tells me that 24 mp sensor is a realeastic step.
BTW sorry for your k1.
He lied. Product launches are known well in advance.

@grahame: sorry for your K-1... they're scarce as it is, we don't need accidents.
I haven't heard anything about a 24MP FF DSLR, except from those thinking that 36MP are "too much", and Pentax should do a lower resolution one. That doesn't count even as a rumor... so don't hold your breath waiting for one.
05-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Although I don't own the K-1 yet, I personally prefer the 36mp over the 24mp because the mp count in APS-C crop mode of K-1 would be less than I would have liked (just IMHO of course).
05-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

From what I see at DPReview, the 24MP sensor might have a slight advantage at ISO51200 and higher. Below that, the higher resolution wins (RAW, low light mode).
05-30-2016, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the only mention of a 24mp FF Pentax was in one or more of the threads arguing that 24mp 'is enough'. So not even rumor really, just wishful thinking.

I can think of only two reasons Pentax would bring out a 24mp FF:
1) To provide a lower price point. But at the price of the K-1, I'm not sure that is such a big deal. With Nikon you have D810 @$2,800, D750 @$2,000 and D610 @$1,500. Pentax gives a mix of features that are arguably better than D750 but maybe not as good as D810 at a price point not much above the D610. Plus features no one else has. Sort of "one model to rule them all"

2) To provide a faster frame rate for sport shooters. Not sure the 24mp sensor really helps there. D810 is 5fps, D750 is 6.5 and D610 is 6fps. None of those are in sport shooter range IMHO. To get there you need 1d x, or D4s in FF. Or go back to APS-C. And IMHO Pentax does not have, and is not going to have for a long time, the glass to make that kind of camera worthwhile to build.

The only thing left is the old argument, "24mp is enough". Which might be a good argument for some users, but means nothing to Pentax.

IMHO, if you want full frame, and you want Pentax it is going to be 36mp. If they do come out with a fast shooter it will be APS-C like the D500.
05-30-2016, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
He lied. Product launches are known well in advance.

@grahame: sorry for your K-1... they're scarce as it is, we don't need accidents.
I haven't heard anything about a 24MP FF DSLR, except from those thinking that 36MP are "too much", and Pentax should do a lower resolution one. That doesn't count even as a rumor... so don't hold your breath waiting for one.
In april 2015 I've heard that will be two full frame bodies, flagship and cheaper one.
That was information from the same guy who told me about Pentax full frame in january 2015.
First time I didn't beleive him but now I'm not so sure that two FF bodies is just a plain rumor.
I won't be suprised to hear something about that later this year at Photokina.
05-30-2016, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #13

I know some people who would love one 24MP FF
the fact that probably have higher SPF for birds photography.
and an AF faster, I think the Pentax fill one lagoon to these types of shooters
05-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
I know some people who would love one 24MP FF
the fact that probably have higher SPF for birds photography.
and an AF faster, I think the Pentax fill one lagoon to these types of shooters
Good point about the bird photography, and I also couldn't help but notice the expression you used...filling one lagoon. I couldn't find any other usage of the expression in a Google search, so I'm guessing it must be a Brazilian thing. Maybe I'll ask my wife about it!
05-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #15

What about taking the 21MPx sensor from the D5 ?
Anyway a low MPx FF would be a great back-up or second body. Regarding the framerate, they should try to have at least 8fps like on the K3 in order to attract sport photographers.