Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

K1 Arrived! Questions.

Might be a good place for everyone with similar questions.

So! It just arrived. I'm going through the manual/adjusting it to work more closely to my K5iis (near perfect camera for me. Stoked and terrified about this new sensor though), and have come into a few issues/questions/things?

2 questions so far.

1. Can autofocus work outside the crop zone? It generally frame shots heavy to one side or the other. Relative to the k5, it seems like the k5 has more focus ability (despite fewer points) if you're in using rules o' thirds, or similar.

2. Unfortunately, Nikon was my intro to the digital slr world. So, ever since I've always used the dial on the lens side for aperture, and the thumb for shutter speed. I've adjusted it already for aperture/shutter priority, but it doesn't seem to have the option to switch/configure it for manual exposure. Can anyone confirm otherwise?

05-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dflorez Quote
1. Can autofocus work outside the crop zone? It generally frame shots heavy to one side or the other. Relative to the k5, it seems like the k5 has more focus ability (despite fewer points) if you're in using rules o' thirds, or similar.
Only in live view. But you do have higher point density and no gaps within the AF zone while shooting through the viewfinder.

2. Unfortunately, Nikon was my intro to the digital slr world. So, ever since I've always used the dial on the lens side for aperture, and the thumb for shutter speed. I've adjusted it already for aperture/shutter priority, but it doesn't seem to have the option to switch/configure it for manual exposure. Can anyone confirm otherwise?
Yes, you can swap which wheel controls what.

Record menu (5) -> Button customization -> E-dial programming -> Second tab -> M mode

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got ya.

Right after typing that original post I noticed that edial programming has multiple tabs. Very nice.

And ten 4 on the first part. I suppose manual focus will come into play for those times too. Thank ya.
05-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And ten 4 on the first part. I suppose manual focus will come into play for those times too. Thank ya.
Yup, and don't forget to check out focus peaking plus magnification in live view. That opens up new possibilities for manual focusing compared to the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I imagine the AF points cover the same area you are familiar with on your K5. The K-1 look to be grouped more closely, but turn on crop mode and you will see the spacing compares with the the points on the K5.

Focusing on things close to me, I can see the depth of field shift as I focus on a thing a little closer or a little farther away. I figure the same happened with my K-5, but I never noticed. I think it is more obvious with the K-1 for a couple different reasons.

I was using AF and shifting focus point but I suppose it should be some easier to use manual focus. Then, there are the live view options that are nice. I think I will use liveview more with this camera than with K5.

As far as the menu, a few things have been removed or changed. I remember reading about a few things people have noticed but they weren't things that meant much to me. Overall, things have been added to the menu, of course, so it should be easy to set up the camera as you have the K5 set up. I just went through each menu item. Some things like the start burst or intervalometer I will worry with later, if I use them.
06-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I think the points contained within the crop area are definitely more full, and cover at least as wide as the k5 did. However, the outer 1/3rd of the camera having none at all is a bit of a bummer (outside the crop zone). I'll deal though. Focus and recompose.

On the other hand, the new life it's brought to my older lenses make it all totally worth it.

Tomorrow will be my first wedding using the new body. Looking forward to giving it a full test in a real world/professional situation!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I imagine the AF points cover the same area you are familiar with on your K5. The K-1 look to be grouped more closely, but turn on crop mode and you will see the spacing compares with the the points on the K5.

Focusing on things close to me, I can see the depth of field shift as I focus on a thing a little closer or a little farther away. I figure the same happened with my K-5, but I never noticed. I think it is more obvious with the K-1 for a couple different reasons.

I was using AF and shifting focus point but I suppose it should be some easier to use manual focus. Then, there are the live view options that are nice. I think I will use liveview more with this camera than with K5.

As far as the menu, a few things have been removed or changed. I remember reading about a few things people have noticed but they weren't things that meant much to me. Overall, things have been added to the menu, of course, so it should be easy to set up the camera as you have the K5 set up. I just went through each menu item. Some things like the start burst or intervalometer I will worry with later, if I use them.