Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interval Shooting

I'm out here at night in the middle of nowhere and I can't get interval shooting to work right on my K-1.

In Manual mode, if I set the shutter speed to 30s and set the interval shooting to 120 shots, the most I get is 10 or so before "Interval Shooting Complete" shows up on the screen and the camera stops taking photos. I do seem to get the full series of photos if I choose 1s as the shutter speed. I haven't had a chance to try other shutter speeds yet.

The same happens in Interval Composite mode.

Anyone else notice this behavior? It's totally ruining this perfect night for star trails.

06-01-2016, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

the interval time must exceed exposure time by atleast 2 seconds.....if you expose for 30 the interval must be 32 seconds
06-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
the interval time must exceed exposure time by atleast 2 seconds.....if you expose for 30 the interval must be 32 seconds
THANK YOU! I forgot all about that. Haven't done interval shooting in years with a Pentax.
06-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, you'd just have to add 30 seconds to the interval time you were using before and it should work as before.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
THANK YOU
you bet!
06-01-2016, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you could change to Standby Interval mode. C2-13 change to 2. This changes the count of the interval to begin at the end of each exposure which means the exposure interval is not included. Give it a shot.
06-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Or you could change to Standby Interval mode. C2-13 change to 2. This changes the count of the interval to begin at the end of each exposure which means the exposure interval is not included. Give it a shot.
Oohh, I like that better. With the old setting, a lot of shots were only happening at a minute instead of 32 seconds. It was really unreliable. Wish I'd known about that before, my shooting time is over for the evening now.

06-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

a lot of shots were only happening at a minute instead of 32 seconds
is noise reduction turned off? that usually doubles the exposure time....take your own dark frames after if you wish....that's what I usually do...
wonder if my k-r or k-50 have the stand by interval mode.....
06-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
is noise reduction turned off? that usually doubles the exposure time....
Nope, dark frame noise removal was off. But all JPG enhancements were on (shooting RAW+) and I was writing to both memory cards (JPG to one and RAW to the other). I wonder if that was slowing things down enough for the camera to miss a shot every few frames.
06-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax' built-in intervalometer is useful but IMO not ideal for star trails. I prefer a wired shutter release cable for the shortest possible pause between photos. Camera set to 30 second manual exposures, continuous-high shutter mode, then just lock the wired release button down for nonstop photos until you unlock the button.

This is the one I bought but the same exact item is resold under several different brand names http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VIGGSS

P.S. The device can also be used with bulb mode for timed exposures > 30 seconds. That's another benefit over the built in intervalometer.
06-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I have a wired remote that can be locked on, I just forgot it at home. That would've been ideal.
06-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

). I wonder
I do not know but would not expect the buffering to last that long plus what impact would that have on continuous shooting? reckon its something else but it sounded like NR but like ya said it was off
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just found something new. With custom setting 13 set to default (Interval), the minimum interval that can be set is 2 seconds. But if I change that custom setting to 2 (Standby Interval), there's a new choice before 2 seconds called "minimum" which just takes the next exposure immediately as soon as the camera is ready. This eliminates the chances of missed frames due to de-synchronized timing over a long session, and allows me to use the camera's built-in compositing options, which a wired remote doesn't allow.
06-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

neat...doubtful I got that on the k-50 or k-3ii...