Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. This really does help.

Even though some of my 'thoughts' have been alleviated somewhat I still think it might be nice to have someone put a tape measure on it so people can have a more exact figure...from the wheel to the table top and figure up the difference...

I am sure a lot of you have seen some of my travel shots... I've put up a few here in threads on the forum. Now after going around and seeing what things are possible and what is a PITA to lug around and what is and isn't useful... I am making decisions based around what I could realistically use in the field. I would love to be able to take everything but the fact of the matter is I go fast and light when I go. Any kit I take has to fit in the overhead bin.

I tried lugging around that 70-200 and a few other things and man, I have to say I was miserable. And to top it off I never touched the thing except once and even then it was somewhat of a novelty item.

It's just a matter of time until I get the K1. I think I butted up against the capabilities of my current system while I was out. I need to get my money straight though before I can afford it. I plan to sell off a few things which would hopefully get me closer to halfway there.

A couple of observations about lens choices for me and my particular style of doing things...

First I sold the 15mm in favor of having an all in one 16-85mm approach and believe me... that zoom lens made my life SO MUCH EASIER. I was even questioning if I wanted a zoom before I left... and now my whole world is turned on it's head. I figured 1mm isn't massive...but I can say this... I found myself shooting wide A LOT when I was out. That 24mm end of things (16mm equivalent) I personally don't think I could live without that now. 28mm is just not wide enough. I had a few times where I was wanting even a WIDER lens but for 95% of the time, 24mm would be sufficient.

The lens I choose definitely needs to be WR. I was out on those islands and stuff and I was just about to give other camera guys a heart attack... I never abused the camera but now I am a firm believer in WR. I just had too many times when it was just indispensable.

The variable aperture, at first I hated it but before long it started to kind of grow on me. Or rather I should say I got used to it. A lot of people run around trying to take wide open shots all the time and for me I found myself at f5.6 or f8 or around that area most of the time. That said I had some KEY shots that I think could have been done a lot better with a faster lens and better ISO.

While it would be nice to have a super long lens but I found myself that when I stretched out all the way to full capacity most of the time those shots didn't work out that well for a variety of reasons. Part of it is I am not used to shooting far away subjects I guess. Don't get me wrong... it's nice to have...but the wide end and image quality and a reasonable zoom range is more important for me. It was just crazy how I went from never shooting wide (ever) to all the sudden shooting wide all the time.

As for a kit though I think I could do some nice stuff with any lens and it would be great to have a quiver full of stuff but the reality is I am not paying excess baggage fees for something I might use once in a blue moon. Honestly though that wide end is what has me going on the 24-70.

If they introduced a 24mm f1.8 WR prime I think I would probably die from excitement. I still might eventually get that 15-30 but that thing is a MONSTER. I am pondering all kinds of things now to be honest. One thought among many is that I could go around the world with one lens and be completely content 90% of the time.

At the end of the day I am not ruling anything out but for a true blue travel kit... I am still kind of leaning towards that 24-70.

I have a lot of thoughts on the pros and cons of everything...but I am weighing my options based on some experience.

06-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For my camera kit... they give you 7kg is the standard for carry on and it needs to fit in certain dimensions too. Keep in mind I will be hauling a laptop of some type around as well.

For my checked in bag... 20kg. Max. I won't go over that again. Some airlines offer 30kg and others offer 23kg but the lowest is 20kg...so if I just pack for the lowest common denominator then I am good. Then when I go do those little puddle jumpers nobody is freaking out on me and I can get my baggage how I need it. Every destination is different so I am looking at all options right about now. After you go to three or four countries back to back pretty soon you learn your lesson about packing light....

But shifting gears here... the main question I have about the camera itself is the height of the grip.. but so far everyone here tells me my pinky will have a home...so I feel better about it.

As far as lenses go...that's a different story. Gives me a headache trying to figure it all out to be honest.
06-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If weight is a consideration then the D FA 28-105 is lighter than the 24-70 and even my A 35-105. If you carry your kit on it's going to be easy to exceed 7 kg. So a WR/AW walk around lens and then something light and fast like a 50 f/1.7 for indoors and night. I think you'll find 28mm wide enough for most shooting on the K-1. For a long lens you'll have to leave your underwear out of your checked bag.
06-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
If weight is a consideration then the D FA 28-105 is lighter than the 24-70 and even my A 35-105. If you carry your kit on it's going to be easy to exceed 7 kg. So a WR/AW walk around lens and then something light and fast like a 50 f/1.7 for indoors and night. I think you'll find 28mm wide enough for most shooting on the K-1. For a long lens you'll have to leave your underwear out of your checked bag.
I don't know that the 7KG is a hard and steadfast rule but for every airlines I tried no one even asked me about it and I was over 7KG a number of times.

Before when I left I had a BUNCH of completely unneeded stuff that I ultimately boxed up and sent home, but after I lightened the load I was carrying my K3+16-85 and the three amigos. I have the exact weight of my bag and everything in saved on my phone (I weighed the whole thing on the airport scales)

In the end I don't think weight will be a problem as to the packing and flying part of things... depending on my next set of destinations I will plan that accordingly.

I am still honing my travel kit...on a number of levels...that includes clothes and what all to take (and what to buy when I get there) as well as camera gear.

06-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Here's a quickie comparison of the K-1 with the D FA 28-105 and K-3 + grip with DA* 16-50.

06-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
First I sold the 15mm in favor of having an all in one 16-85mm approach and believe me... that zoom lens made my life SO MUCH EASIER. I was even questioning if I wanted a zoom before I left... and now my whole world is turned on it's head. I figured 1mm isn't massive...but I can say this... I found myself shooting wide A LOT when I was out. That 24mm end of things (16mm equivalent) I personally don't think I could live without that now. 28mm is just not wide enough. I had a few times where I was wanting even a WIDER lens but for 95% of the time, 24mm would be sufficient.
I have a Pentax 16-85. It is a really nice lens.
06-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Actually when it comes to photos... if someone has both the 24-70mm and a 16-85 I would like to see some side by side shots of their relative size.
If you want to cut down on weight and still shoot with a grip, you could opt for the D FA 28-105mm instead of the 24-70mm. It's not quite as wide, but excellent optically.

However, what I'd recommend is just to skip on the battery grip. Since the main grip on the K-1 is taller, your hand rests better and you don't really need the battery grip for additional support while shooting horizontally. Verticals are another story, but they shouldn't be too bad unless you start shooting with really heavy telephoto lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want to cut down on weight and still shoot with a grip, you could opt for the D FA 28-105mm instead of the 24-70mm. It's not quite as wide, but excellent optically.

However, what I'd recommend is just to skip on the battery grip. Since the main grip on the K-1 is taller, your hand rests better and you don't really need the battery grip for additional support while shooting horizontally. Verticals are another story, but they shouldn't be too bad unless you start shooting with really heavy telephoto lenses.
I don't really want to shoot with a grip if I don't have to. It doesn't matter to me if I do or don't... but if the grip on the K1 is big enough I will skip the whole grip thing all together. This was/is the primary question more than anything.

If I don't need a grip on the K1 that to me makes it even more attractive. That said I have never laid eyes on a K1 much less handled one to know for sure hence the thread. If I don't need the grip then that means the whole weight issue is really negligible and not an issue even if I ultimately decide on the heavier 24-70.

I still have quite a while to stew on everything because $$$ needs to be worked out (the same reason I had to cut my vacation so short)...but once the money thing gets sorted the K1 is high on my list.

I also will take a closer look at lenses later on but so far I am leaning 24-70 if for no other reason it opens up the wide end, which I do not have covered any other way. Plus it's WR so all in all it's meeting about 90% of what I am asking for even if it is a slight bit heavier. Compared to what I am used to carrying now I think the K1+24-70 would have a negligible weight increase.

06-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you know you will have a 7 kg carry-on limit?

I have come across some some airlines with 5 or 7 kg limits. I tried to plan with that in mind. I wondered why they would have such a limit on 737 type planes and turned out no one checked. The, I have been on 6 seat planes and they had a strict limit but I don't remember what it was..

Anyway, is the limit you have in mind a posted limit, likely so they point to that if they want disallow service to someone, or is it enforced ?