Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K1 Questions & Pic Requests

I have been super busy with travel and other things so I have missed out on a lot of the threads about the K1.

Because I am building a kit primarily for travel I am wondering about some size and weight questions.

My current travel kit consists of a K3+battery grip (with batteries) and my go to zoom lens is the 16-85mm (for now). To me the total weight is negligible. I've gotten used to it. Basically though walking through all this will help me visualize and think through any future decisions.

The specs on the the K3 list it as 715g (800g with battery and cards)
The specs on the 16-85mm list it as 488g
The battery grip (with battery) I have no clue what the combined weight is. Nor do I know the total combined weight of what I am carrying is.

Based on some rough math the battery weighs around 80g but I have no idea what the weight is of the grip itself.

So far I am up to 800g+488g+80g (spare battery)+whatever the grip weight is (I am guessing around 300g) (if anyone knows please tell me)

The total I got was somewhere around the 1700g area (or rounding about 3.7lbs)

The K1 is much easier to figure out.

1010g for the camera, battery and cards+ 787g for the 24-70 that I am eyeballing for a total of 1797g (3.96lbs) without the grip. (Basically +1/4 lb)

If I guesstimate the weight of the K1 grip and battery to be about the same as the K3 +- some the total then kicks up to 2177g with the grip. (4.7lb)

Basically more or less I would gain one full pound if I run it the same way using that lens and a grip. If I lose the grip on the K1 it will be about the same as I am used to, just a slight bit heavier but not much which is easily manageable.

In comparison if I carry my Tamron 70-200 on my camera all together that's like 5.1lbs...I've tried that before and boy that was a brick. After a while I wanted to put that thing down. Admittedly part of that wasn't just weight but the length of that lens swaying around...but I can tell you this much... I don't carry that combo very much at all, if ever.

Also though went you consider carry on luggage requirements and all that I am trying to get an idea of what I would be in for on that level as well.

That's part 1... now for part 2.

Next question that I am thinking through... weight wise without the battery grip the K1 with that lens would be more than manageable. Basically adding 1/4 of a pound is not a deal breaker. With the grip though it's a different story.

I went to a site and did camera dimensions comparisons and I see that the K1 is taller... and not just on the top around the viewfinder area. The truth is I have grown accustomed to the battery grip but if the K3 was a smidgin higher where you actually hold the camera I could lose the battery grip and not worry about it. I don't use the battery grip for much other than comfort. With the K3 and no grip my pinky has no where to go. Again it is kind of nice having a spare battery but that's not a big deal at all.

So basically if you measure a K3 from the bottom of front adjustment wheel to the table top and you measure a K1 from the bottom of the front adjustment wheel to the table top how much area do you gain?

Unfortunately I can't just go to the store and pick one up to test so before I haul off and spend $3500 bucks I am trying to get a good idea here. It's a question that could be answered in 5 seconds by picking one up in my own hands, but that's not an option right now.

I know it's some picky stuff but if anyone has some calipers or anything at all it will just answer some lingering questions while I save my pennies.

Last edited by alamo5000; 06-10-2017 at 07:15 PM.
06-03-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Edit... I edited my post but I forgot to edit the title.... disregard the pic request part... but if you have anything that shows me what I am looking for... while I sit here wanting to buy one anyway... please put the pics up...

(basically I forgot about that camera size comparison site until I was halfway through my post)
06-03-2016, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Based on some rough math the battery weighs around 80g but I have no idea what the weight is of the grip itself.

Hi alamo5000. Just weighed my D-BG5 with battery in and spare SDHC card.........................................330 grams. Hope this is a little help to you mate.
06-03-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually when it comes to photos... if someone has both the 24-70mm and a 16-85 I would like to see some side by side shots of their relative size.

06-03-2016, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi alamo5000. Just weighed my D-BG5 with battery in and spare SDHC card.........................................330 grams.
Thank you!

That still puts my total current kit at 1618g...3.56 pounds... vs what I would calculate out for a K1 and lens to be 1797g (3.96lb)

The net difference is 179g (.4lbs) less than half a pound... it's manageable I imagine.
06-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
To putt hings in perspective, a manual 50mm weighs 6-10 oz depending on the amount of glass. A Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 weighs 185g, so basically equivalent to the increased weight. I myself find the difference negligible, but I haven't been backcountry hiking with my k-1 kit yet.
How much real estate do you gain on the grip though?

I think the weight without the grip should be fine. It would not be prohibitive at all. That said I wonder how much more space my pinky will have on the 1 vs the 3.
06-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used k-3II with 16-85 for almost awhile and now carrying the k-1 plus DFA 24-70. I'm not a battery grip user so cannot help with that. However, I can say that the weight difference is noticeable. Manageable, but noticeable. One big difference is the slightly taller grip on the k-1 which allows my pinky to be on the grip instead of hanging in thin air. That alone makes the k-1 easier to hold than the k-3II despite the added weight. So for me even with the additional weight of the k-1 I feel like I have better control and a safer grip on the k-1 than I did on the k-3II.

One other thing to consider is that the k-1 plus the DFA 28-105 weighs 1450gm versus the 1273gm of the k-3Ii plus 16-85. So if you can get by with only 28mm at the wide end you can keep the k-1 plus lens to very close (177gm) of the k-3II plus lens.

I went back and forth between the 24-70 and 28-105 and finally went with the 24-70. I'm very happy with it but after seeing the 28-105 reviews I think I would be just as happy with the 28-105. I also have the FA 20-35 for wide so I would not miss the 24mm range of the 24-70. YMMV.

06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

As jatrax hints at, you can kick the battery grip for the K-1. The built-in grip on the K-1 is that much taller than the K-3 that you get a good grip (pun intended) w/o the extra (battery) grip
06-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I know pre-buyer analyzation of products and their dimensions can be a wise step to take before spending, but without both bodies in your hands to actuate preference or not preference, it is difficult to make a defining opinion. I myself would not see the K-1 and a specific lens as straying in weight or dimensions from what I would expect due to the structure being necessary for it to perform the associated FF and other functions. I also do not see it as straying from for example the K-3II and a lens in structure/weight/handling in a negative way, it is something that you either take in stride or do not depending on if you want to utilize the equipment for the features it provides. I use my pinky when I hold my K-3II, and I am sure using it to hold a K-1 would not be a problem, it is all based on personal preference. I have traveled with my K-5IIS/Sigma 150-500 and it is fine with me as long as it is well protected.

I am really not trying to be interpreted as being negative, but only real time handling is going to demonstrate a real factor to be evaluated, and per specs I would not expect a big leap in structure or weight handling that is not worth taking in stride. I am not targeting anyone, this is just my view.
06-03-2016, 08:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
As jatrax hints at, you can kick the battery grip for the K-1.
Well I wouldn't want to speak for others especially since I'm not a big battery grip fan anyway. But the k-1 grip is really nice and if I was ever thinking about using a battery grip the k-1 would convince me I don't need it. I have no problem 1 handing the k-1 and I would not do that with the k-3II.
06-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I have been super busy with travel and other things so I have missed out on a lot of the threads about the K1.

Because I am building a kit primarily for travel I am wondering about some size and weight questions.

<snip>

The K1 is much easier to figure out.

1010g for the camera, battery and cards+ 787g for the 24-70 that I am eyeballing for a total of 1797g (3.96lbs) without the grip. (Basically +1/4 lb)

If I guesstimate the weight of the K1 grip and battery to be about the same as the K3 +- some the total then kicks up to 2177g with the grip. (4.7lb)

Basically more or less I would gain one full pound if I run it the same way using that lens and a grip. If I lose the grip on the K1 it will be about the same as I am used to, just a slight bit heavier but not much which is easily manageable. .
1. Unless I am using a long lens, such as the D FA 70-200mm or the D FA 150-450mm, I can manage without the K-1's battery grip. I can just about get my little finger on the grip.

2. My "walk-around" lens for the K-1 is the D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-f/5.6. It doesn't have the zoom-ratio of the DA 16-85mm, nor the maximum aperture of the D FA 24-70mm, but for many purposes it is OK, and it has good image quality. And it is lighter and smaller than the DA 16-85mm! It really is a useful lens.
06-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Ole
Administrator

@jatrax: Me too. I've done a lot of shooting with the K-1 with heavy lenses (15-30, 24-70, 150-150) and didn't miss the grip.

That said, I just bought the 28-105 as my travel lens! So for an upcoming trip where weight is an issue I'm just bringing the DA 12-24, the 28-105, and the 100mm macro.
06-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't find the K-1 without a BG much different in weight than a K-3 with a BG. The larger height of the K-1 means I don't need a BG to have a comfortable grip. I chose the D FA 28-105 as my walk around lens and I find it easy to carry this combo around. Just my $0.02.
06-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. This really does help.

Even though some of my 'thoughts' have been alleviated somewhat I still think it might be nice to have someone put a tape measure on it so people can have a more exact figure...from the wheel to the table top and figure up the difference...

I am sure a lot of you have seen some of my travel shots... I've put up a few here in threads on the forum. Now after going around and seeing what things are possible and what is a PITA to lug around and what is and isn't useful... I am making decisions based around what I could realistically use in the field. I would love to be able to take everything but the fact of the matter is I go fast and light when I go. Any kit I take has to fit in the overhead bin.

I tried lugging around that 70-200 and a few other things and man, I have to say I was miserable. And to top it off I never touched the thing except once and even then it was somewhat of a novelty item.

It's just a matter of time until I get the K1. I think I butted up against the capabilities of my current system while I was out. I need to get my money straight though before I can afford it. I plan to sell off a few things which would hopefully get me closer to halfway there.

A couple of observations about lens choices for me and my particular style of doing things...

First I sold the 15mm in favor of having an all in one 16-85mm approach and believe me... that zoom lens made my life SO MUCH EASIER. I was even questioning if I wanted a zoom before I left... and now my whole world is turned on it's head. I figured 1mm isn't massive...but I can say this... I found myself shooting wide A LOT when I was out. That 24mm end of things (16mm equivalent) I personally don't think I could live without that now. 28mm is just not wide enough. I had a few times where I was wanting even a WIDER lens but for 95% of the time, 24mm would be sufficient.

The lens I choose definitely needs to be WR. I was out on those islands and stuff and I was just about to give other camera guys a heart attack... I never abused the camera but now I am a firm believer in WR. I just had too many times when it was just indispensable.

The variable aperture, at first I hated it but before long it started to kind of grow on me. Or rather I should say I got used to it. A lot of people run around trying to take wide open shots all the time and for me I found myself at f5.6 or f8 or around that area most of the time. That said I had some KEY shots that I think could have been done a lot better with a faster lens and better ISO.

While it would be nice to have a super long lens but I found myself that when I stretched out all the way to full capacity most of the time those shots didn't work out that well for a variety of reasons. Part of it is I am not used to shooting far away subjects I guess. Don't get me wrong... it's nice to have...but the wide end and image quality and a reasonable zoom range is more important for me. It was just crazy how I went from never shooting wide (ever) to all the sudden shooting wide all the time.

As for a kit though I think I could do some nice stuff with any lens and it would be great to have a quiver full of stuff but the reality is I am not paying excess baggage fees for something I might use once in a blue moon. Honestly though that wide end is what has me going on the 24-70.

If they introduced a 24mm f1.8 WR prime I think I would probably die from excitement. I still might eventually get that 15-30 but that thing is a MONSTER. I am pondering all kinds of things now to be honest. One thought among many is that I could go around the world with one lens and be completely content 90% of the time.

At the end of the day I am not ruling anything out but for a true blue travel kit... I am still kind of leaning towards that 24-70.

I have a lot of thoughts on the pros and cons of everything...but I am weighing my options based on some experience.
06-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For my camera kit... they give you 7kg is the standard for carry on and it needs to fit in certain dimensions too. Keep in mind I will be hauling a laptop of some type around as well.

For my checked in bag... 20kg. Max. I won't go over that again. Some airlines offer 30kg and others offer 23kg but the lowest is 20kg...so if I just pack for the lowest common denominator then I am good. Then when I go do those little puddle jumpers nobody is freaking out on me and I can get my baggage how I need it. Every destination is different so I am looking at all options right about now. After you go to three or four countries back to back pretty soon you learn your lesson about packing light....

But shifting gears here... the main question I have about the camera itself is the height of the grip.. but so far everyone here tells me my pinky will have a home...so I feel better about it.

As far as lenses go...that's a different story. Gives me a headache trying to figure it all out to be honest.