Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I haven't seen any signs of vignetting with that lens! At what focal lengths and what apertures does it vignette?
It's the most pronounced at 28mm but not negligible at other focal lengths. At the wide and tele ends, the center of view image is about 10% darker wide-open as a result of vignetting. That is what you see in the viewfinder. As you zoom in, you lose up to another stop and a half of light, which overall results in a fairly dark VF.

You likely haven't seen much vignetting in your photos due to lens corrections- and after stopping down 1.5 stops or more, even uncorrected it's hard to spot beyond 28mm.

I'm attaching a vignetting test so you can get a sense of the lens's performance. Note that this is fairly typical of a lens in this class.

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's the most pronounced at 28mm but not negligible at other focal lengths. At the wide and tele ends, the center of view image is about 10% darker wide-open as a result of vignetting. That is what you see in the viewfinder. As you zoom in, you lose up to another stop and a half of light, which overall results in a fairly dark VF.

You likely haven't seen much vignetting in your photos due to lens corrections- and after stopping down 1.5 stops or more, even uncorrected it's hard to spot beyond 28mm.

I'm attaching a vignetting test so you can get a sense of the lens's performance. Note that this is fairly typical of a lens in this class.
Thanks. I tend to stop down a little, typically shooting at about f/8.

I shoot raw and have all lens corrections switched off.