Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Dark focus screen

Need some help from some of you out there. Picked up the K1 to shoot my niece's wedding on Thursday. Does any one else feel like the focus screen is darker than it should be? Any way to brighten it up?

I'm using the 28-105 lens, but I must be doing something wrong. Pictures are way darker than they should be:

Attempt #1: Manual mode: ISO 100, 1/250, f8. Standing outside taking a picture of the house. Have to bump to ISO 400 even to get an image on the screen.

Attempt #2: Tried adjusting EV values --- they work in LiveView but it makes no difference when you actually take the picture. It's like they're being ignored. Tried in both TV and Manual mode

Attempt #3: Set to AUTO. It lowered the shutter speed to 1/25, which blurred everything, and raised the ISO to 800. Again, we're talking high noon outside.

Is it because the sensor is so much bigger than it needs so much more light?

Need some help from other K1 users

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Brugge4Him; 06-07-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: incorrect shutter speed initially listed
06-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it sounds like there i something wrong with the diaphragm in the lens. Oily, sticky leafs? Aperture lever bent?

Kjell
06-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brugge4Him Quote
Need some help from some of you out there. Picked up the K1 to shoot my niece's wedding on Thursday. Does any one else feel like the focus screen is darker than it should be? Any way to brighten it up?

I'm using the 28-105 lens, but I must be doing something wrong. Pictures are way darker than they should be:

Attempt #1: Manual mode: ISO 100, 1/250, f8. Standing outside taking a picture of the house. Have to bump to ISO 400 even to get an image on the screen.

Attempt #2: Tried adjusting EV values --- they work in LiveView but it makes no difference when you actually take the picture. It's like they're being ignored. Tried in both TV and Manual mode

Attempt #3: Set to AUTO. It lowered the ISO to 1/25, which blurred everything. Again, we're talking high noon outside.

Need some help from other K1 users

Thanks in advance.
By "focus screen" are you saying it appears dark in the optical viewfinder? And similarly in LV?

Do you have another lens you can try? It sounds like the lens is stopped down. It should be wide open till you take the shot (or activate DoF preview). How does it appear off camera? Fully open?

By the way, what happens if you try DoF preview; does it get darker still?

Is your battery charged? Someone on PF said the OVF is dark when the battery is removed.
06-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
By "focus screen" are you saying it appears dark in the optical viewfinder? And similarly in LV?

Do you have another lens you can try? It sounds like the lens is stopped down. It should be wide open till you take the shot (or activate DoF preview). How does it appear off camera? Fully open?

By the way, what happens if you try DoF preview; does it get darker still?

Is your battery charged? Someone on PF said the OVF is dark when the battery is removed.
Dark in the optical viewfinder. The LV is plenty bright. I only have one other lens, a manual 50mm 1:1.2. It looks the same way through the viewfinder. Batteries are charged

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 12:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
To me it sounds like there i something wrong with the diaphragm in the lens. Oily, sticky leafs? Aperture lever bent?

Kjell
Don't think it would be the lens, I just bought it yesterday, it's new. But who knows.

06-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

is the lens on all the way, locked in place?
06-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

But changing ISO has nothing to do with the OVF! I don't understand what you are saying.

QuoteQuote:

Attempt #3: Set to AUTO. It lowered the ISO to 1/25, which blurred everything. Again, we're talking high noon outside.
1/25 isn't an ISO, it's a shutter time.

QuoteQuote:
No.

I am very confused by what you are saying.

Specific questions:
  1. With LV off, is the view through the optical viewfinder dark?
  2. With LV turned on, is the rear screen dark, or does it look normal?
  3. What do the pictures look like when you display them on the rear screen or import them to a computer?

By the way, the rear screen brightness on the K1 can be adjusted significantly, to suit indoor, night, and even full sun situations. This is not true of the focussing screen you see through the OVF.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 06-07-2016 at 02:27 PM.
06-07-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
is the lens on all the way, locked in place?
Was hoping that was it, but it's locked on tight. Even tried 2 other lenses.

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 13:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
But changing ISO has nothing to do with the OVF! I don't understand what you are saying.

1/25 isn't an ISO, it's a shutter time.

No.

I am very confused by what you are saying.

Specific questions:
  1. With LV off, is the view through the optical viewfinder dark?
  2. With LV turned on, is the rear screen dark, or does it look normal?
  3. What do the pictures look like when you display them on the rear screen or import them to a computer?
Sorry, slip of the fingers, on auto, the ISO moved to 400 and the shutter speed was 1/25.
06-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Green mode may yield some results, or at least make it easier to tell if there is a persistent problem.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
06-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #9
Forum Member

After you unpacked the camera for the first time, did you peel off the dark plastic film from the sensor?
06-08-2016, 03:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Dark in the optical viewfinder. The LV is plenty bright. I only have one other lens, a manual 50mm 1:1.2. It looks the same way through the viewfinder. Batteries are charged

---------- Post added 06-07-16 at 12:58 ----------

Don't think it would be the lens, I just bought it yesterday, it's new. But who knows.
check the lens just like the other guy suggested the lens diaphragm
06-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Didn't someone post a thread a couple of weeks ago on this same topic? If I recall correctly, the consensus was that optical viewfinder goes dim when the camera auto-shuts down, i.e., the LCD overlay in the optical viewfinder turns off, darkening the view. Pressing the shutter release half-way wakes the camera and wakes up the LCD overlay.
06-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Didn't someone post a thread a couple of weeks ago on this same topic? If I recall correctly, the consensus was that optical viewfinder goes dim when the camera auto-shuts down, i.e., the LCD overlay in the optical viewfinder turns off, darkening the view. Pressing the shutter release half-way wakes the camera and wakes up the LCD overlay.
What makes the optical viewfinder go dark is taking the battery out.

I think the K-1 draws enough power from the battery even when powered off to keep the LCD normal. Time-out doesn't affect it.
06-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bruges, Happyman is making a joke. There is nothing to remove from the sensor surface.
06-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 28-105mm vignettes a lot. My experience with that lens is consistent with yours- it darkens the viewfinder more than most other lenses I've tried.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-09-2016, 04:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 28-105mm vignettes a lot. My experience with that lens is consistent with yours- it darkens the viewfinder more than most other lenses I've tried.
I haven't seen any signs of vignetting with that lens! At what focal lengths and what apertures does it vignette?

There were no specific vignetting corrections in the following, and there was no lens profile for it at the time:

Photos using articulated LCD & 28-105mm lens

Photos showing the quality of the 28-105mm lens

I agree that it isn't as bright in the viewfinder as the other new lenses, because of its smaller apertures. But that isn't vignetting, which is all about what happens in the corners.

There was no hint of vignetting in the ePHOTOzine review, although perhaps they didn't test for it.