Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #1

K-1 locked up twice

I was shooting an event Saturday and it locked up twice. I couldn't do anything ( I had my back up so all was well, I didn't miss anything).. Popped the battery door and turned it back on.. worked fine.. The first time, it appeared to be "on" meaning, I could see all of the info on the screen. The second, it was black. I changed the battery after both occurrences. Any ideas what might have happened? Humidity was high, temperature was in the high 80s.

06-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Low battery / high drain?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

The first time when you could see all of the settings, could you change settings/see the changes occurring? Had you just shot quite a few photos leading up to the freeze? I was taken by surprise a few times when I didn't get any response from the shutter, but I quickly realized it was a full buffer, and the orange light was working away for quite some time after. Shooting Raw to two cards on there really loads that buffer up!

I hope that it's nothing serious - had you updated the firmware yet?
06-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Were you using the battery grip?
With my K-3, lock-ups were once or twice triggered by something about the battery grip - either the connection or the battery grip/battery power settings.

06-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had my first issue a couple of weeks ago. Using Pixel Shift and it appeared to get stuck during the processing stage, the progress bar just stayed there and didn't progress. I left it for a couple of minutes just to be sure. Still in the same spot. So I pulled the battery and turned it back on and all was fine. If I recall correctly I think the processed file had even been saved. I didn't think too much of it and kept on going. No repeat. Will watch for this again.
06-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Format card?

I have read where cameras have locked up if the SD card was not formatted before use.
06-21-2016, 04:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I never had a lockup with my K-x, but my K-30 does lock up from time to time, and requires a battery removal. And it seems like other models from the K-30 onward also suffer similar problems.

Not a real big deal, as it only happens only very occasionally, and taking the battery out quickly sorts it out. But still kind of annoying.

06-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
The first time when you could see all of the settings, could you change settings/see the changes occurring? Had you just shot quite a few photos leading up to the freeze? I was taken by surprise a few times when I didn't get any response from the shutter, but I quickly realized it was a full buffer, and the orange light was working away for quite some time after. Shooting Raw to two cards on there really loads that buffer up!

I hope that it's nothing serious - had you updated the firmware yet?
I couldn't release the shutter or change any of the settings. I had shot quite a few images prior to the freeze, but over the course of the day not rapid fire shooting.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I never had a lockup with my K-x, but my K-30 does lock up from time to time, and requires a battery removal. And it seems like other models from the K-30 onward also suffer similar problems.

Not a real big deal, as it only happens only very occasionally, and taking the battery out quickly sorts it out. But still kind of annoying.
yes very annoying. All my batteries were fully charged as well. My K-3 did this once or twice before as well now that I think about it.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Were you using the battery grip?
With my K-3, lock-ups were once or twice triggered by something about the battery grip - either the connection or the battery grip/battery power settings.
no battery grip! I have one just didn't have it on at this time.

---------- Post added 06-21-16 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Low battery / high drain?
At the time, I had not updated firmware. It's on my list of things to do tonight.
06-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #9

Have you formated the SD card with the K-1? Some problems of data transfert may occur when the format is done on computer or if the card come from another camera.
06-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

happened on K3II a few times (maybe 10) before mainboard died at 8,000 clicks.

never happened on a K3 , but K3 became electronically super buggy and sent to be serviced at 4,000 clicks

more recently on the K-1:
this thing happended to me a few times ( 9? 10? not more) on the interval of today's +20,000 clicks.
with or without the grip. everything else works perfect on it.

so honestly, no clue.
06-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
Forum Member

I have no idea if it will help, but the 1.10 firmware update is supposed to have "Improved stability for general performance."
06-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shureeken Quote
Have you formated the SD card with the K-1? Some problems of data transfert may occur when the format is done on computer or if the card come from another camera.
My memory cards were both also fresh, formatted (in camera) cards . 32g a piece.. SanDisk Extreme PRO 32GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC
06-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time my K3 locked up was when I was shooting in very hot, humid conditions in the direct sun. I attributed it to overheating. Pulling the battery out and putting it back in fixed it. No problems since (knock on wood...).
06-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RDP Quote
The only time my K3 locked up was when I was shooting in very hot, humid conditions in the direct sun. I attributed it to overheating. Pulling the battery out and putting it back in fixed it. No problems since (knock on wood...).
that's kind of what I was thinking. I wasn't in direct sun but it was hot and very humid.

---------- Post added 06-28-16 at 07:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakotapix Quote
I have no idea if it will help, but the 1.10 firmware update is supposed to have "Improved stability for general performance."
I have since updated the firmware so here's hoping!
06-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslewis02 Quote
I have since updated the firmware so here's hoping!
Good luck!