Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
So I am not correct in saying that f2.8 lens on FF is not f 2.8 on APSC purely in terms of DOF? Again, I am talking this in terms of how the photography industry is wanting me to believe what a particular f-stop can do - i.e, create beautiful photos with blurred background or have everything in focus.
No. It is again this mixing of apples and oranges that leads to all the confusion about this topic.

A max aperture of say 2.8 do not refer to DOF but the focal lenght of the lens divided by the lens max opening. Hence 2.8 is 2.8 by definition regardless of lens.
Aperture control the light intensity.
The photo industry have claimed nothing but this.
When you use different formats you'll tend to use different focal lenghts for the same angle of view. Different focal lenghts have different DOF. That's it.
Theres no rule or law thats says what DOF you should have at F: 2.8 at any angle of view.
DOF is a secondary issue of aperture just like motion blur is a secondary issue of shutter speed, but neither DOF or motion blur is involved in the definitions of aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, reciprocity or the stop system. It is all about exposure.

07-16-2016, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seemed like a fair review from someone who doesn't use Pentax.
07-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #48
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
N.a.n. I don't think the critisism is because Tony didn't know (or didn't demonstrate knowledge of) the e-dial while navigating the menu's. It was, on my part at least, an observation that Tony, like most other reviewers, are not used to the Pentax way of doing things. As you pointed out, he found out where the fx1 button was during the video; clearly demonstrating lack of familiarity.
Excatly. If someone makes a "Tutorial" I would personally expect he is already an expert on the topic, not figuring (or missing) random features on the fly
07-18-2016, 05:38 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
N.a.n. I don't think the critisism is because Tony didn't know (or didn't demonstrate knowledge of) the e-dial while navigating the menu's. It was, on my part at least, an observation that Tony, like most other reviewers, are not used to the Pentax way of doing things.
true it would have been better if he'd known about that but personally i hardly ever use the control dials to navigate the menus. in fact with my k1 i hardly ever have to dive into the menus at all

07-18-2016, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Excatly. If someone makes a "Tutorial" I would personally expect he is already an expert on the topic, not figuring (or missing) random features on the fly
I don't understand the hate. Is there anyone else who has ever made such in-depth tutorial for K-1?Some of you might be super duper experts and know all at using your camera. For most of us, this kind of video tutorial is very helpful in knowing ins and outs, specially with such poor manuals Pentax puts out. All the time I hear people complaining about how "professionals" don't consider Pentax cameras. Now that some one makes a video about it, all you do is criticize. Can you please point me to someone who knows 100% of K-1's functions and is willing to invest their personal time to make a helpful tutorial? Can you point me to a better video tutorial of K-1?
07-18-2016, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uday029 Quote
I don't understand the hate. Is there anyone else who has ever made such in-depth tutorial for K-1?Some of you might be super duper experts and know all at using your camera. For most of us, this kind of video tutorial is very helpful in knowing ins and outs, specially with such poor manuals Pentax puts out. All the time I hear people complaining about how "professionals" don't consider Pentax cameras. Now that some one makes a video about it, all you do is criticize. Can you please point me to someone who knows 100% of K-1's functions and is willing to invest their personal time to make a helpful tutorial? Can you point me to a better video tutorial of K-1?
exactly... i don't understand the hate at all either. it was a decent video and i'm sure it's opened the eyes of more people to the k-1 who may not have even known about it before.
07-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
exactly... i don't understand the hate at all either. it was a decent video and i'm sure it's opened the eyes of more people to the k-1 who may not have even known about it before.
I don't understand why the word 'hate' is used in place of 'criticism'. This trendy hyperbolic use of 'hate' really dilutes the meaning of the word.

07-20-2016, 06:38 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I don't understand why the word 'hate' is used in place of 'criticism'. This trendy hyperbolic use of 'hate' really dilutes the meaning of the word.
Because "criticism" implies good will and an honest (even if mistaken) evaluation of merit. I agree that hate is probably too intense for something as unimportant as Youtube photography videos but the tone of many posters in this unending thread has been repulsive and not in keeping with the PF I have enjoyed and learned from for 10 years.
07-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. It is again this mixing of apples and oranges that leads to all the confusion about this topic.

A max aperture of say 2.8 do not refer to DOF but the focal lenght of the lens divided by the lens max opening. Hence 2.8 is 2.8 by definition regardless of lens.
Aperture control the light intensity.
The photo industry have claimed nothing but this.
When you use different formats you'll tend to use different focal lenghts for the same angle of view. Different focal lenghts have different DOF. That's it.
Theres no rule or law thats says what DOF you should have at F: 2.8 at any angle of view.
DOF is a secondary issue of aperture just like motion blur is a secondary issue of shutter speed, but neither DOF or motion blur is involved in the definitions of aperture, shutterspeed, ISO, reciprocity or the stop system. It is all about exposure.
ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification. Now I get it.
07-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like Tony, it seems he did very good tutorial, and, if you read the comments, impressed a quite amount of strangers to Pentax.
Actually, I liked his preview on K-1 as well. There was so much crap around K-1 from the "experts", but Tony was neutral and professional, imo.
Good job.
07-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #56

Original Poster
Check his last video where he compares Canon vs Nikon systems. At the end, he summarize different cameras for different purposes and recommends what person should buy. Pentax is RECOMMENDED king for LANDSCAPE. His own words.
07-20-2016, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
true the word hate is a bit over the top but I'd say that a lot of the criticism against him in this thread has at least bit quite unfair and harsh.
07-28-2016, 02:35 AM   #58
Veteran Member

So, not really anything bad to say about Pentax.
07-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Except for calling their last great success "the BIGGEST mistake", and claim they should've pulled a Samsung instead.
07-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Except for calling their last great success "the BIGGEST mistake", and claim they should've pulled a Samsung instead.
Yes, I didn't actually agree with Tony on that one, I think the K-1's an essential addition. But it was interesting to hear his praise for the brand.