Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Raw file Size Question on K1 vs Nikon D810

The non pixel shift raw from the K1 seems to be around 45MB per file vs the 75MB of the NIkon D810 or other D800 camera. As both the D810 and K1 share the same 36MP sensor, I am curious if Pentax is using any type of compression in their files? And is there a way to turn this off? I have checked the menu for a listing for lossless compression (similar to what Nikon has) but am not finding anything.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock AR

07-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cross-posted this in your other thread, but for those wondering, Pentax uses lossless compression which reduces filesize without affecting image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
The non pixel shift raw from the K1 seems to be around 45MB per file vs the 75MB of the NIkon D810 or other D800 camera. As both the D810 and K1 share the same 36MP sensor, I am curious if Pentax is using any type of compression in their files? And is there a way to turn this off? I have checked the menu for a listing for lossless compression (similar to what Nikon has) but am not finding anything.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock AR
I'm not sure why the Nikon files are so large. 36mp at 14bit should give you a maximum of around 63MB for a raw files. However, that is assuming every single pixel records a different color (like perfectly distributed noise). In the real world, some adjacent pixels will be the same color so that number should be smaller. Its then losslessly compressed which further reduced the files size. There are very small embedded jpegs in the raw file as well, so that will increase it ever so slightly.
07-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul2660 Quote
The non pixel shift raw from the K1 seems to be around 45MB per file vs the 75MB of the NIkon D810
The D810 has many RAW file size choices, including (from the D810 manual):
'NEF (RAW), Image Size: Large, Lossless compressed, 14 bit - 40.7MB'.

So D810 file size = K-1 file size, effectively (when the save parameters are the same).

07-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info,

I assumed as much, and would prefer an option in the future to turn off any compression. There has been plenty written about Sony's attempt at lossless compression and the issues that issued. Sony eventually added a firmware release to allow writing with no compression.

Much rather have an option to not compress.

File size, card size, hard drive size, are all just part of using this type of sensor.

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock AR
Photos Of Arkansas
07-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Such an option doesn't make sense, as I can't think of even a single reason why you'd want uncompressed RAWs. The only effect would be a smaller buffer and much longer write times on the SD cards (as well as a decreased SD card capacity, but that you could somewhat offset by buying larger cards).
What Sony did was applying lossy compression; that means data being thrown away. No wonder people were upset. But lossless compression means you can take the data, compress it, then decompress and get a perfect copy of the original.
And the Sony users are still a bit upset, as what they were actually asking for was lossless compression, not no compression.