Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #1

Switching from Canon?

Hi,

So I recently picked up a K1 after being a long time Canon user. I've had the K1 for about a week now, and there are some things I really like and a few that I'm not crazy about (mainly focus speed/accuracy).

Tonight I figured I sit down and do a little side by side comparison of my old Canon 5d Mark ii (which came out in 2008) and this shiny new K1. The results were a little surprising to me.

I shot both at f/8 1/100 and iso 1600 and in raw (dng). I then made some very minor adjustments to sharpness and noise reduction (as I would in the real world). I cut and paste the settings to both images.

I've attached both to this post, the K1 is the SDP file and the 5Dii is the IMG file.

The first thing that strikes me is how much brighter iso 1600 is on the canon than it is on the K1. Anyone know why this is?

The second thing is how much more saturated the canon image is, the colors just look better in general.

I think the noise is a little lower on the K1 and there is certainly a bit more detail as it's 36mp compared to 22mp. But honestly, to me, the canon files look better. I was not expecting this at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Have other people done similar comparisons? I really want to love this K1 as I like a lot of the features, but if it can't keep up with an 8 year old camera I'll probably just wait out the 5D iv (and spend way more $$$...)

Any help is appreciated!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark II  Photo 
07-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only things I can think of:
Any skylight filter on the front of either lens?
Same lighting conditions?
What about light transmission through the lenses?

Lastly, what happens if you do a test under better lighting conditions?
07-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

As a Pentax user I see the Canon shot as oversaturated - so part of it is what one is familiar with in default settings. Pentax saturation can be cranked up a notch or two within the Bright picture setting to make them more similar, and maybe contrast turned down a notch. Or try Reversal Film, that often does the trick!
07-18-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Sorry should have mentioned both were shot with the Sigma 35mm art, I have it for both mounts.

It's possibly my eye is just used to seeing the canon colors/saturation and I can always saturate more in post so not SUPER worried about that.

I just don't get why iso 1600 is so much brighter on the 5Dmarkii. The lighting is exactly the same.

Thanks for your feedback!

07-18-2016, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i always thought ISO settings and aperture may vary from brand to brand, possibly among camera models even. Therefore, you cannot set the cameras the same and expect them to expose exactly the same.
I believe Pentax keeps colors fairly tame in the RAW so they can be punched up to taste in post. That Canon result looks oversaturated to me, but YMMV.
Welcome and good luck!
07-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Only things I can think of:
Any skylight filter on the front of either lens?
Same lighting conditions?
What about light transmission through the lenses?

Lastly, what happens if you do a test under better lighting conditions?
Sorry, no filters on either. Everything is exactly the same other than the camera.

Could it be my settings?
07-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SamuelDixon Quote
Hi,

So I recently picked up a K1 after being a long time Canon user. I've had the K1 for about a week now, and there are some things I really like and a few that I'm not crazy about (mainly focus speed/accuracy).

Tonight I figured I sit down and do a little side by side comparison of my old Canon 5d Mark ii (which came out in 2008) and this shiny new K1. The results were a little surprising to me.

I shot both at f/8 1/100 and iso 1600 and in raw (dng). I then made some very minor adjustments to sharpness and noise reduction (as I would in the real world). I cut and paste the settings to both images.

I've attached both to this post, the K1 is the SDP file and the 5Dii is the IMG file.

The first thing that strikes me is how much brighter iso 1600 is on the canon than it is on the K1. Anyone know why this is?

The second thing is how much more saturated the canon image is, the colors just look better in general.

I think the noise is a little lower on the K1 and there is certainly a bit more detail as it's 36mp compared to 22mp. But honestly, to me, the canon files look better. I was not expecting this at all.

Am I doing something wrong? Have other people done similar comparisons? I really want to love this K1 as I like a lot of the features, but if it can't keep up with an 8 year old camera I'll probably just wait out the 5D iv (and spend way more $$$...)

Any help is appreciated!
Seriously is this a prank?

Judging from the images I don't think it is the cameras that are the problem.

07-18-2016, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Seriously is this a prank?

Judging from the images I don't think it is the cameras that are the problem.
Not a prank. Thanks for being so helpful!
07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
I've looked at a few of these which is part of why I chose to go with the K1 instead of waiting out the 5D mark iv or getting the a7rii (don't want/need that many mega pixels anyways). Those tests really make the K1 sensor look incredible. I just wish my lo-fi podunk living room test seemed to give the same result...
07-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Both are underexposed. Were you shooting in raw? If so, different presets and/or settings are likely to blame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both are underexposed. Were you shooting in raw? If so, different presets and/or settings are likely to blame.
Sure they are both under exposed but all things being equal (which they are, identical lens/exposure/settings in lightroom) I would expect the K1 to blow the 5Dii out of the water.

These extra compressed versions I uploaded probably aren't helping.
07-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SamuelDixon Quote
Hi,

They are both very underexposed - probably 2 stops. Can't judge much with that. Exposure difference could be a variation in lenses, I suppose.

I'd shoot a couple in daylight of real-world subjects for comparisons.
07-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Better to use tools like the DPReview 'Studio Shot Comparison' setup, if one is interested in making image comparisons between cameras. You need controlled conditions, otherwise imprecise test setups rob camera comparisons of validity.
07-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i always thought ISO settings and aperture may vary from brand to brand, possibly among camera models even. Therefore, you cannot set the cameras the same and expect them to expose exactly the same.
indeed. i know nikon shot at the same iso (and everything else being equal) is quite a bit darker than canon, guess pentax is similar to nikon in that regard.

the canon does look more saturated than the k1. both processed in lightroom? colour rendition etc will vary between canon, nikon, pentax etc.

the 5dmk2 is still a very good camera. had a video shoot with one a few weeks ago as we couldnt get hold of a mk3 in time.
07-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Better to use tools like the DPReview 'Studio Shot Comparison' setup, if one is interested in making image comparisons between cameras. You need controlled conditions, otherwise imprecise test setups rob camera comparisons of validity.
Oh I certainly trust them more than my own test. I'll try again tomorrow with better light.