Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #1

Anyone used/using Nikkor 20mm f1.8G with an adapter and their K-1?

Thought I'd ask the question as, whilst here in Australia, the K-1 by itself is a good economical proposition, the K-1 with the latest release native lenses (particularly the Pentax 15-30mm) most certainly is not. So I'm looking at alternatives and thought I'd ask the question, as the Nikkor 20mm is by all accounts, a top quality lens. Actually to tell the truth, I've got the 20mm but don't have a body as yet, so if it worked well with the K-1, it could be mean me buying one instead of a Nikon.

In terms of finding out whether anyone has used this setup, Google has not been my friend, so am hopeful of a response here.

Thanks.

07-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not really a practical proposition. There are adapters, but these have correction lenses in them (typically 1.4x), so you end up with a different focal length and maximum aperture (the Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 would effectively become an all-manual 28mm f/2.5) and the degradation of having not-particularly-great third-party glass between the Nikkor lens and the camera...
07-21-2016, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hate the bearer of bad news,[Oh, who am I kidding?] you can't use Nikkor F mount lenses on the K-1. At any rate the 15-30mm f/2.8 is of comparable optical quality to the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G...you get what you pay for.
07-21-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Vonn Quote
the Nikkor 20mm is by all accounts, a top quality lens
I don't know how you draw those conclusions. Like many of the Nikkor 1.8 G's (although I've only used two), it has problems with plasticky build quality, and optical issues with flare, ghosting, vignetting and soft edges. The lenstip review tells the story well:

Nikon Nikkor AF-S 20 mm f/1.8G ED review - Introduction - LensTip.com

It doesn't seem to me like the kind of lens worth building your entire camera kit around.

07-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You may try your luck with Leitax guy and email him if 20mm can use his replacement bayonet... Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras
07-21-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is another alternative for Nikon mount on Pentax cameras

Apparently it's not widespread news just yet, but recently Leitax introduced an adaptor to enable Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses to be fitted with a Pentax K mount.

The Leitax website indicates the adaptor is for Nikon and Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses. The details are here: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras

Some points to note:

• this is a reversable mount change so you could adapt the lens to try the K-1 and return it for use on Nikon cameras later on,
  • you can do the change yourself or send your lens to the Leitax people to do the change for you, and
  • there is no glass insert reducing the resolution of the lens.

If you would like to read up on it there is more information in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/227446-carl-zeiss-t-zk-mou...planar-22.html

I suggest you contact Dave (Fenwoodian) and Jeffrey (jeffreybehr) about their experience with doing the change if you have any questions.

Both have been very positive about their dealings with Leitax so I suggest this is an option to consider if you do want to try using a Nikon lens on the K-1.

Tas
07-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I thought he can adapt it with a Leitax F to K-mount adapter?

07-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the responses people, very quick too, much appreciated. True you do get what you pay for, well sort of, one could save AUD $1,600(!) getting the Tamron 15-30 instead which is a shame as I do love the K-1. The plastic build of the Nikkor 20mm I can live with, it's optical quality I want and there are plenty of other sites giving it a good rap. Thanks again.
07-21-2016, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Apparently it's not widespread news just yet, but recently Leitax introduced an adaptor to enable Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses to be fitted with a Pentax K mount.

The Leitax website indicates the adaptor is for Nikon and Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses.
Specifically, Leitax claims:

After many requests from Pentax users, now we can offer this new Leitax replacement bayonet to use certain manual Nikkor and all Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses on Pentax bodies.

Unless I'm mistaken, that wouldn't include lenses like the Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G?
07-21-2016, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, thanks for the responses people, very quick too, much appreciated. True you do get what you pay for, well sort of, one could save AUD $1,600(!) getting the Tamron 15-30 instead which is a shame as I do love the K-1. The plastic build of the Nikkor 20mm I can live with, it's optical quality I want and there are plenty of other sites giving it a good rap. Thanks again.
I'm sure that Nikkor lens is good for the money. Pentax has its own "plastic fantastic" lenses - the DA35 f/2.4 and DA50 f/1.8 which are optically very good, and - like you - I'm more concerned with image quality than anything else. But I think you'd be setting yourself up for a tough time buying a K-1 and adapting non-Pentax-system lenses for mainstream use.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
07-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Specifically, Leitax claims:

After many requests from Pentax users, now we can offer this new Leitax replacement bayonet to use certain manual Nikkor and all Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses on Pentax bodies.

Unless I'm mistaken, that wouldn't include lenses like the Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G?
Thanks for ther correction, my bad.

Tas
07-21-2016, 05:48 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Thanks for ther correction, my bad.
No problem... honestly, I had to go back to their website to double check. I thought maybe they'd released another, cleverer mount!
07-21-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I can understand the price of this lens is a show stopper if one isn't already into the Pentax system..... especially at Australian prices. If I was getting into a DSLR in Australia and just wanted the latest best lenses one would have difficulty building a case for Pentax over say Nikon.
07-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #14
npc
Veteran Member

The Leitax replacement mount is for manual focus F lenses (including zeiss zf2 etc). It's relatively new addition and I think only lenses that have only 3 screws on the mount are supported.
G lenses don't even have aperture ring so such conversion generally is not feasible. D lenses should be possible to adapt but again I don't think the currently available leitax mount can be installed on them.
07-21-2016, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems to me your best/only solution to mount a Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 on the K-1 would be via the Adaptist adapter (Pentax K+ Multi-Mount (WR version) - Adaptist). You will lose WR but you will gain the ability to mount Nikon, Olympus, Contax/Yashica, and Konica lenses.

Michael