Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

K-1 can I customize exposure dials?

Hi, I just bought a Pentax K-1 for my personal photography. I haven't shot with it much, but I am having trouble getting used to the shutter speed control being on my pointer/trigger finger. I am curious if there is any way to customize the camera so that shutter speed would be controlled by the e-dial via the thumb (I want to swap the aperture and shutter exposure dials.)

I couldn't find any option for this in the menus but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Other than issue (which currently feels like a large one to me), I think I am really going to love this camera.

I have to continue shooting Nikon cameras at my job and it is really confusing for the 2 cameras to be reversed in these controls.

I don't like having to remove my finger from the shutter release button to change my exposure either. (I am usually shooting manual and pick my aperture before I set up for a shot. I frequently shoot outdoors in rapidly changing light conditions so it is important that changing shutter speeds doesn't disrupt my shot.)

I am primarily curious if it is possible to switch the dials, but if not, how have others adapted to this change? Maybe I would get used to it eventually; but I am concerned that my brain won't properly process using nikon at work and Pentax as an artist.

08-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes, you can - go to the menus, Camera settings tab 5, Button Customization, E-dial programming.
For each mode you can select that the two e-dials do, and also the green button.
08-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
Awesome thanks a bunch! There are a lot of letters on that screen I guess I didn't make sense of it when I looked earlier lol. Very nice
08-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Primetime06 Quote
Hi, I just bought a Pentax K-1 for my personal photography. I haven't shot with it much, but I am having trouble getting used to the shutter speed control being on my pointer/trigger finger. I am curious if there is any way to customize the camera so that shutter speed would be controlled by the e-dial via the thumb (I want to swap the aperture and shutter exposure dials.)

I couldn't find any option for this in the menus but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Other than issue (which currently feels like a large one to me), I think I am really going to love this camera.

I have to continue shooting Nikon cameras at my job and it is really confusing for the 2 cameras to be reversed in these controls.

I don't like having to remove my finger from the shutter release button to change my exposure either. (I am usually shooting manual and pick my aperture before I set up for a shot. I frequently shoot outdoors in rapidly changing light conditions so it is important that changing shutter speeds doesn't disrupt my shot.)

I am primarily curious if it is possible to switch the dials, but if not, how have others adapted to this change? Maybe I would get used to it eventually; but I am concerned that my brain won't properly process using nikon at work and Pentax as an artist.
If you're more of a visual person, go here:

Then select "button customization" and "e-dial programming":

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: