Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
The hard part with command line programs is usually to find out which magic switches has to be entered in which order to get the desired output. There are often pages of cryptic options to wade through before you find the right ones. First one have to find the switch that produces the help page, is it “?” or “-?” or “/?” or “help” or “-help” and so on.
Type dcrawps with no options or filename to get the synopsis. The options are not extensive, though most users may find the Web version of the "man" page more useful.

Manpage of dcraw

There are a couple of online tutorials, but I am unaware of any that are up-to-date. The lack of a good collection of "how to"s is the major fault of the tool. Google "dcraw tutorial" to see what's out there.

Once one knows the options, an useful approach (in windows) is to create a shortcut using the desired options. You may then drag-n-drop the DNG(s) onto the shortcut icon.

Here are the steps I used for both dcraw and dcrawps in Windows 7 and 10:
  • Download and unzip the executable to a handy location. Mine are in a dcraw directory under "Program Files" for convenience.
  • Edit the system path to include the location of the executable. This task may require the assistance of an experienced user. What it does is allow one to run the program from any location on the system without having to type in its full path.
  • Create a shortcut as follows: 1)right click on dcrawps exe and choose "copy", 2)right click on a convenient location folder and choose "paste shortcut". The Desktop is a good place.
  • Right click on the new shortcut and choose the properties option. This allows you to edit a few things.
  • Edit the "target" to include the desired command options. Mine looks something like this:
    "C:\Program Files\dcraw\dcrawps\dcrawps.exe" -T -w
"Dropping" a DNG on the shortcut results in a command window opening to run dcrawps. The window will close when finished with the results being written to the same folder as the original DNG.

Note: The instructions above are a rough outline. Finding an approach (say running a script) that works for you may go down a different path.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2016 at 04:29 PM.
08-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
hm, seems like dcrawps does only use one DNG file (of the large DNG file containing actually 4 files). The result is by far not as sharp as I get out of cam (no sharpness tweaks so far, just the standard settings).
No, it uses all 4 files in the DNG container.
If you want to be sure about what dcrawps is doing, use the '-v' switch and it will report as it runs. The output from a PS raw is quite different from a non-PS RAW.

Cheers,
Terry
08-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
If you want to be sure about what dcrawps is doing, use the '-v' switch and it will report as it runs. The output from a PS raw is quite different from a non-PS RAW.

Cheers,
Terry
I have been doing some additional look-see on this and am seeing some anomalous results from K-1 PS captures. For example, the red rock example in the review on this site simply looks terrible when processed in dcrawps and the individual DNGs, if extracted out and processed separately in dcraw or dcrawps don't look that great either.

You might want to do the download and see what you get:

Pentax K-1 Review - Sample Photos | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Steve
08-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Cheers,
Terry
I have been doing some additional look-see on this and am seeing some anomalous results from K-1 PS captures. For example, the red rock example in the review on this site simply looks pretty terrible when processed in dcrawps. The individual DNGs, if extracted out and processed separately in dcraw or dcrawps don't look that great either.

I would appreciate it if you could do the download and see what you get:

Pentax K-1 Review - Sample Photos | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2016 at 06:22 PM.
08-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have been doing some additional look-see on this and am seeing some anomalous results from K-1 PS captures. For example, the red rock example in the review on this site simply looks pretty terrible when processed in dcrawps. The individual DNGs, if extracted out and processed separately in dcraw or dcrawps don't look that great either.
I would appreciate it if you could do the download and see what you get:
OK, I downloaded the image and processed using dcrawps, it took approx 9 secs on my system.
Here are some 100% crops from the tiff processed in Darktable with a bit of sharpening, so see if you can make any comparisons with your result.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-1  Photo 
08-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter

OK, I downloaded the image and processed using dcrawps, it took approx 9 secs on my system.
Here are some 100% crops from the tiff processed in Darktable with a bit of sharpening, so see if you can make any comparisons with your result.

Cheers,
Terry
I am not sure, but I suspect that dcraw is stumbling over the white balance and embedded profiles in the K-1 DNG. I used the default WB and set to ignore the embedded profile. I am on my laptop and have few real tools, but I did bring the tiff into Picassa's editor: auto-contrast, fill light, and moderate sharpening. I saved the results to a JPEG and those compared quite nicely to the excellent embedded JPEG from the DNG. The JPEG can be viewed at:

Full Resolution JPEG

Steve
08-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I prefer to produce a 16-bit linear tiff with no gamma correctiono nor brightening using the -4 -T dcrawps options. This will produce a very flat image with bland colours. Then I use the REC2020RGB profile in my raw processor to get it back close to what it is supposed to look like and tweak from there.
08-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I am not sure, but I suspect that dcraw is stumbling over the white balance and embedded profiles in the K-1 DNG.
dcrawps was updated for the K-1, back in May. I rebuilt mine on May 24. The updated version reports itself as v9.26.
Not sure if this is related to what you're seeing.
I haven't looked at your full res JPEG, so I can't say if there are any real differences.
I'm a bit over downloading huge files when a small 100% crop would serve the purpose.

Cheers,
Terry

08-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter

dcrawps was updated for the K-1, back in May. I rebuilt mine on May 24. The updated version reports itself as v9.26.
I am running dcraw v9.27 and dcrawps v0.7 (based on v9.26). Sorry about the link to the full-size file. If you want to compare to the embedded JPEG, run dcrawps with the -e option against the original IMGP0491.DNG.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2016 at 12:28 AM.
08-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I prefer to produce a 16-bit linear tiff with no gamma correctiono nor brightening using the -4 -T dcrawps options. This will produce a very flat image with bland colours. Then I use the REC2020RGB profile in my raw processor to get it back close to what it is supposed to look like and tweak from there.
I tried something like that this evening with the addition of using the -o 0 option to use the native color space specific to the camera rather than the dcraw default sRGB. What is the REC2020RGB profile, what tool are you using, and how are you applying the profile?

Edit: Are you referring to the ITU-R BT.2020 colorspace for UHDTV?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2016 at 12:06 AM.
08-20-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A tutorial for DCRaw I've found helpful is here.

Gives a bit of explanation as to why output from DCRaw is not always what people expect, how to correct that, and how to extract for highlights, etc.
08-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #27

hmm, here is a 100% of a pixelshift jpg out of cam: Pasteboard ? Uploaded Image
this one is produced by dcrawps: Pasteboard ? Uploaded Image

I have not edited any pixelshift images so far because I refuse to use spyware operating systems and so there is no software that I could use so far.
08-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I am running dcraw v9.27 and dcrawps v0.7 (based on v9.26). Sorry about the link to the full-size file. If you want to compare to the embedded JPEG, run dcrawps with the -e option against the original IMGP0491.DNG.
OK, thanks for that.
I have had a look at the embedded JPG.
It does look quite good, with more 'pop' compared to the TIF from dcrawps, but I don't see that as unusual or unexpected, and can easily be given a bit of PP to achieve the same or similar result.
Perhaps I have missed something here.

Cheers,
Terry
08-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Sorry, Steve, I should have mentioned that the raw processor is darktable (on linux). "Linear REC2020 RGB" is a large colour space (encompasses both RGB and AdobeRGB) that one can choose as an input profile when processing a linear image. I find it works well with dcrawps. Not sure if the authors developed their own profile or just renamed an existing one.
08-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Sorry, Steve, I should have mentioned that the raw processor is darktable (on linux). "Linear REC2020 RGB" is a large colour space (encompasses both RGB and AdobeRGB) that one can choose as an input profile when processing a linear image. I find it works well with dcrawps. Not sure if the authors developed their own profile or just renamed an existing one.
Thanks! I thought it was something like that.

Steve