Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new Albany IN
Posts: 76
how to process pixel shift files without color issues

have saw a number of articles about using the pixel shift on the k1, that the photos have some color issues when prepossessed in lr. was wondering if this is a big issue, or not. i understand that if you use this feature you have to first process in Pentax soft ware? then over to lr or ps?

08-16-2016, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 290
You can use dcrawps to generate a 16 bit tiff from the pixel-shift raw, then do any PP in whatever software you prefer.


Cheers,
Terry
08-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new Albany IN
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
You can use dcrawps to generate a 16 bit tiff from the pixel-shift raw, then do any PP in whatever software you prefer.


Cheers,
Terry
i am sorry , but what is dcrawps?? sorry to be so not up to speed on this stuff
08-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
jlstrawman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 473
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
i am sorry , but what is dcrawps?? sorry to be so not up to speed on this stuff
https://github.com/tomtor/dcrawps

08-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,862
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
i am sorry , but what is dcrawps?? sorry to be so not up to speed on this stuff
dcrawps is a special version of the dcraw raw converter. Dcraw is used by many software packages to process raw files, but in its native form is a command line program. For more on dcraw...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dcraw

dcraw home page...

Decoding raw digital photos in Linux

Download link for Windows executable: http://www.centrostudiprogressofotografico.it/en/dcraw/

As noted above the pixel shift version ("fork") home page is HERE. In addition to access to a download link, there are also brief notes on how to use the tool.


Steve
08-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Conroe, TX USA
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
have saw a number of articles about using the pixel shift on the k1, that the photos have some color issues when prepossessed in lr. was wondering if this is a big issue, or not. i understand that if you use this feature you have to first process in Pentax soft ware? then over to lr or ps?
Are you up to date on LR and ACR? There were color problems just a few months ago - previous to ACR 9.6.0. What versions do you have? Pentax DCU does a good job but is a pain.....

Have not tried dcrawps so no comments.

RONC
08-17-2016, 03:21 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,509
I would install Pentax DCU (the software that came with the camera). Basically, pick in the drop down menu to process your image with pixel shift with motion correction on and then save the file as a 16 bit TIFF image. I usually do that, apply the natural setting and turn the fine sharpness down +2 (the default sharpness in DCU seems to be too much). Further processing can be done in Lightroom.

It does take awhile, but I think the process is more intuitive than messing with DC RAW.
08-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 290
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It does take awhile, but I think the process is more intuitive than messing with DC RAW.
It's 'dcrawps', and it couldn't be simpler, it would be all done before you even started to fight your way into DCU.
To produce 16 bit tiff files from all your DNG in the current directory, keeping camera white balance, it is simply...

dcrawps -T -w *.DNG

then you can PP each of the output tiff in your software of choice.

Cheers,
Terry

08-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would install Pentax DCU (the software that came with the camera). Basically, pick in the drop down menu to process your image with pixel shift with motion correction on and then save the file as a 16 bit TIFF image. I usually do that, apply the natural setting and turn the fine sharpness down +2 (the default sharpness in DCU seems to be too much). Further processing can be done in Lightroom.

It does take awhile, but I think the process is more intuitive than messing with DC RAW.
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
It's 'dcrawps', and it couldn't be simpler, it would be all done before you even started to fight your way into DCU.
To produce 16 bit tiff files from all your DNG in the current directory, keeping camera white balance, it is simply...

dcrawps -T -w *.DNG

then you can PP each of the output tiff in your software of choice.

Cheers,
Terry
The advantage to using PDCU (as with LR) is that there is a nice user interface. With dcrawps there is no interface other that the command line options, but the options provide a high level of flexibility for things like 16-bit linear workflow, output to a several color spaces, extraction of the constituent RAW images, and easy batch processing.

BTW...the command in Terry's post will not only use the camera's white balance suggestion, but will also extract and apply the embedded camera-specific profile in a manner similar to that done by Lightroom.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2016 at 09:10 PM.
08-19-2016, 02:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,509
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
It's 'dcrawps', and it couldn't be simpler, it would be all done before you even started to fight your way into DCU.
To produce 16 bit tiff files from all your DNG in the current directory, keeping camera white balance, it is simply...

dcrawps -T -w *.DNG

then you can PP each of the output tiff in your software of choice.

Cheers,
Terry
Is dcrawps really fast? Because DCU isn't hard to use, it is just kind of slow. Probably takes about a minute to process each file. I have a standard preset that I have saved that I apply to those files, but the actually generation/saving of the TIFF file seems to take some time.

I don't shoot a bunch of pixel shift images, so I am usually dealing with 2 or 3 at a time. Standard DNG files I process in Lightroom straight off without generating a 16 bit TIFF image.
08-19-2016, 02:53 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 290
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is dcrawps really fast? Because DCU isn't hard to use, it is just kind of slow. Probably takes about a minute to process each file. I have a standard preset that I have saved that I apply to those files, but the actually generation/saving of the TIFF file seems to take some time.

I don't shoot a bunch of pixel shift images, so I am usually dealing with 2 or 3 at a time. Standard DNG files I process in Lightroom straight off without generating a 16 bit TIFF image.
I can't compare the actual processing time of DCU and dcrawps, as I briefly tried DCU and thought it was pretty awful.
It does seem an embuggerance to start up a gui, load each image, convert, etc, when the end result is going to be post processed somewhere else.
The time to write that command line is pretty short, and you could have it as a script that you simply bung into the directory with your PS DNGs.
In the end it's each to his own. Most people seem out of their depth with command line.
If you don't usually use the command line it is different, and probably uncomfortable, so use what suits. My comments above were meant to alert people to the other ways of doing things.

Cheers,
Terry
08-19-2016, 04:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,916
The hard part with command line programs is usually to find out which magic switches has to be entered in which order to get the desired output. There are often pages of cryptic options to wade through before you find the right ones. First one have to find the switch that produces the help page, is it “?” or “-?” or “/?” or “help” or “-help” and so on.
08-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 260
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
You can use dcrawps to generate a 16 bit tiff from the pixel-shift raw, then do any PP in whatever software you prefer.


Cheers,
Terry
hm, seems like dcrawps does only use one DNG file (of the large DNG file containing actually 4 files). The result is by far not as sharp as I get out of cam (no sharpness tweaks so far, just the standard settings).
08-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is dcrawps really fast?
About 8 seconds for a pixel-shift DNG and 2.5s for a regular DNG.


Steve
08-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,862
QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
hm, seems like dcrawps does only use one DNG file (of the large DNG file containing actually 4 files). The result is by far not as sharp as I get out of cam (no sharpness tweaks so far, just the standard settings).
Not my experience.* How do your dcrawps compare to results from PDCU?

Edit: I am revisiting the dcrawps processing and will update if I find anything new.


Steve

* While I don't have a PS camera, I have experimented extensively with example files, particularly in regards to motion correction and can affirm that the output from dcrawps is not a simple unpackage of a single DNG from among the four.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-19-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, full-frame, lr, pentax, pixel shift files
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pixel Shift: bigger files? B&W results? Pansottin Pentax Full Frame 26 07-17-2016 06:51 PM
How can I tell if Pixel Shift Worked ? Ian.morgan Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 05-27-2016 11:55 AM
I need clarity on how Pixel Shift works... UserAccessDenied Pentax K-3 17 03-31-2016 10:11 AM
How to display pixel shift images. TroutHunterJohn Pentax K-3 8 11-10-2015 07:58 AM
Request Adobe to support Pentax HDR and Pixel Shift RAW files Pentor Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 16 06-24-2015 01:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top