Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #16
bxf
Site Supporter

Not to deviate too much from the original question, but if we had a K-? APS-C body with all the improvements that the K-1 offers over the K-3/K-3II, except those that are a direct result of the larger sensor, would you you prefer this k-? or the K-1?

Last edited by bxf; 08-21-2016 at 01:26 PM.
08-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Not to deviate too much from the original question, but if we had a K-? APS-C body with all the improvements that the K-1 offers over the K-3/K-3II, except those that are a direct result of the larger sensor, would you you prefer this k-? or the K-1?
K-1.

First, I'm getting benefit from the extra pixels. Among other things it enables me to use a shooting style where (in effect) instead of "focus then re-compose then shoot", I use "focus then shoot then re-compose in post-processing". This makes action photography using the center Spot easier.

Second, I'm finding the extra field of view with the D FA 150-450mm and D FA* 70-200mm lenses (which I had before the K-1) gives me benefits at the wide end. An action photo that would have been partly out-of-frame may be turned into a keeper.

I'm expecting to start printing at A2 rather than my current A3+, and then the larger sensor will probably be very important.
08-22-2016, 05:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian

K-1. I decided to go FF mostly for the better optical viewfinder. Weirdly, I found that I can't be bothered to compare it with APS-C* so I can't pinpoint other benefits. The format simply works for me... including my lenses becoming wider.

* some say I'm bound to use formulas and such in order to get a thing called "same pictures". It never happened to me.
08-22-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
some say I'm bound to use formulas and such in order to get a thing called "same pictures". It never happened to me.
Really, the more you think about it, the sillier the argument becomes. Are we in the habit of looking through the viewfinder of one format/body, then switching to another format with the intention of trying to emulate the former? And why would one ever insist that the view through one format is necessarily better than, as opposed to simply different from, the other?

Useless debate, in my opinion.

08-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

* some say I'm bound to use formulas and such in order to get a thing called "same pictures". It never happened to me.
I don't know anyone saying that.

You must not confuse a fair basis for comparing image quality (e.g. noise) with a directive about what pictures you ought to take.
08-23-2016, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in the local store last week and I was able to hold one for 5-10 minutes,. Oh my god ! ! ! What a feeling. I need to save up to get one..... It is going to be a lonnggg wait.

It just feels so comfortable in hand and the dials and settings are set up just fine. I like the way they gave the LCD a "multi-function" use : ie: depending on what button you hold, it shows different settings.

And 5 user modes ! ! ! Oh my ! ! !..... I am so happy with 3 on the K3ii ! ! ! 5 modes is paradise. ( I often switch modes taking bird pictures ) I do not have time to flip through menus to change modes cause the bird will be gooooone....

Anyways..... My first K1 impression is WOW ! ! ! !
08-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't know anyone saying that.
Those are older discussions best forgotten...
08-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Those are older discussions best forgotten...
Then why did you bring it up?

---------- Post added 08-23-16 at 06:51 PM ----------

I am satisfied with my K-1.
My main dislike is I think the "wake up" time from standby is too slow when compared to other cameras. It has caused me to miss some shots.
Otherwise, for the price it is hard to beat.

08-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I am satisfied with my K-1.
My main dislike is I think the "wake up" time from standby is too slow when compared to other cameras. It has caused me to miss some shots.
Otherwise, for the price it is hard to beat.
Yes! I have the same "complaint", and try to reduce the problem with longer time-outs.

I also have one or two other "complaints" about the K-1. For example, I keep catching the "MIC" cover on my bag and pulling it open, and it is getting loose. Then I think "if these are what I'm complaining about, it must be a pretty good camera!"
08-23-2016, 11:54 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Being best forgotten doesn't mean they're letting me forget But this is off topic.

I noticed the wake up time, though it didn't seems so bad. The camera operation is otherwise quite snappy, I can feel the faster processor - but I'm coming from a K-5IIs.
08-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I'm thoroughly satisfied with the K-1. It's a little bigger than I'd like it to be, but well-balanced and comfortable to use.
08-24-2016, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Yes - I'd like if they could make the next model a bit thinner (not much). The LCD didn't help with the K-1... perhaps a more compact circuit board design could.
But it's still the best (for me, anyway)
08-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #28

I have the camera since two months already. I have made few thousands of images so far, landscapes, portraits, wedding, night shots. It is definetly another standard regarding quality. Compare with APSC you have to consider following:

- far more heavy, especially with a grip and FF lenses
- filter system for 15-30 realy huge. Actually, I need a separate bag only to carry the holders and 4 filters
- all FF lenses (24-70; 15-30; 70-200) are heavier and bigger

So, if you travel, consider more weight. Even if you don't travel, after few hours shooting with FF you will feel the weight. However, I prefer the weight due to higher quality of the final work.

Focus is much precise than K5/K3II. I did not had bad focus images up know, with few exceptions, but this is because of me and not camera.
Still new SDM lenses like 24-70 have some issues with focusing in low light. I miss some good moments during a wedding because of that. The clasical ones are beter in low light.

Still not happy with the change of view mode in K3II & K1 compare with K5. Initially, I hate the new knob on top, but get use to it, or read it, I ignore it. I still prefer larger screen to know exactely how many shoots I have done, on each card, as well as metering method to be changed withouth looking on the viewfinder, etc. For majority if the functions on this wheel, there are already shortcuts from previous versions.

Another thing is size of the files which is huge. You can cut now without fearing to loose details. On the same time, my Lightroom slow down 5 to 10 times and remain there. Not sure if this is related to my computer or not, but if not, then is an issue to consider for those processing large number of photographs.

All in all, this camera paired with a quality lens is a killer. Can stand out to any top proffessional camera from competition and here we talk about general quality of photographs and not burst rate, or other specific technical gimmick.
08-25-2016, 01:57 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Satisfied ? Definitely, very much so
Image quality in general is just amazing! The thing that keeps on surprising me is how much detail you can pull out of the shadows.
08-25-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am very satisfied with my K1. My first Pentax SLR was a Spotmatic II. To me, this camera has the same "feel" about it. I have no idea why. My other Pentax cameras include ZX-5n, and a PZ-1p, K5, K5-IIs, K3 and now a K1. There were also two Ricoh XRM's in there also. Excellent cameras. To me my favorite was always the Spotmatic II but since purchasing the K1 I am leaning more and more towards it as my favorite Pentax camera.