Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #1

Memory Cards for K-1

I was doing a shoot recently and noticed that the K-1 buffer would freeze up for a period of time after taking 4-6 shots. I have an SDHC 10 card. Can anyone who has a class leading SD card let me know what kind of buffer I can expect with a better card? Is this a problem with the K-1's buffer itself or is it likely my card?

10-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larsbars Quote
I was doing a shoot recently and noticed that the K-1 buffer would freeze up for a period of time after taking 4-6 shots. I have an SDHC 10 card. Can anyone who has a class leading SD card let me know what kind of buffer I can expect with a better card? Is this a problem with the K-1's buffer itself or is it likely my card?
It's hard to say why your buffer is full after 4-6 images.

An obvious thing to start with though is to make sure you've formatted the card in the camera.

I use 2 x 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD XC I cards that are class 10 and rated at 95MB/s. There are tests that identify the K-1 as unable to transfer at that speed. And yes the buffer does get full when you use burst modes, I've run into this problem frequently shooting sporting events.

To try and provide some useful feedback I set my camera in Constant High drive mode and could easily get over 15 images before there was a slow down in the capture rate. The camera would continue firing past this point in each of the four attempts I made and is consistent with my experience when shooting sports. The buffer isn't fast to clear with that many 36 megapixel RAW images, though this wasn't the point of your post. I can confirm for you therefore that the K-1 buffer is not going to be full after 4-6 shots.

It might also help adding some more info on camera settings and the SD card used so other forum members can have better context for posting to this thread.

Tas
10-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did you get a reliable brand from a reliable source? There are a lot of fakers out there. You can test the card with software described in this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/60-accessory-memory-articles/119185-measu...rformance.html

You should have a burst of about 17 raws with a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s UHS-I SDHC as tested by imaging resource. sdhc class 10 has a minimum writing speed of 10MB/s so there are great differences between cards.
10-14-2016, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #4

I use only this card:

Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB High Speed 10 UHS Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDU3X): TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories

95 MB/s reading and 85 MB/s in writing. It is very fast. The K-1 is not compatible with UHS-II.

10-14-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

what type memory card do you have? it is look like the memory card problem - uncompactibility with K-1. I have/had on K-3, Nikon D750 and K-1 many cards and absolutely no problem (Trandscend 16GB Ultimate 600x SDHC-10 UHS1(1) 90MB/s, Samsung 32GB PRO SDHC-10 UHS1(1) 90MB/s, Sandisk 16GB Extreme PLUS SDHC-10 UHS1(1) 80MB/s, SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC-10 UHS1(3) 95MB/s).

Try another brand/type of card.
10-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD XC I cards that are class 10 and rated at 95MB/s
I'm currently using a batch of 32GB versions of the above, so far without dramas, but I don't "spray and pray" so buffer rates are not an issue for me.

Just to reconfirm what D1N0 has already said, watch the source of your cards.
10-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Make sure you're using a UHS-I card with 30 Mb/s+ write speeds for the fastest performance.

If your camera is locking up, it's likely not due to the card (unless it's a really slow card) but rather lens corrections such as distortion correction, which adds a lot of processing time.

See also:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-1 Review - Performance and Burst Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
but I don't "spray and pray" so buffer rates are not an issue for me.
Are you trying to tell me something? Englishman....

10-15-2016, 02:17 AM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Are you trying to tell me something? Englishman....
If I were English I might be, but as a Scot... certainly not.
10-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by juanma_1 Quote
I use only this card: Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB High Speed 10 UHS Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDU3X): TRANSCEND: Computers & Accessories
95 MB/s reading and 85 MB/s in writing. It is very fast. The K-1 is not compatible with UHS-II.
Thanks for the tip. The card seems a good price too. I'll give it a try.
10-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the tips everyone! Glad to hear that it's my card.